Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

question on speaker swap, H3,non monsoon

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Default question on speaker swap, H3,non monsoon

Not alot of traffic on the Audio section , maybe you guys can help me....thanks for looking

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/a...76/#post260166

Old 09-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Go here and do your research for speakers that fit your H3. Then buy them where ever you get the best deal.

Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LCD TV, Digital Cameras

Old 09-12-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Go here and do your research for speakers that fit your H3. Then buy them where ever you get the best deal.

Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LCD TV, Digital Cameras

thanks Doc, I am looking for someone with hands on experience of a brand, so I know it will sound good with stock H/Unit...surely someone has done this before and has results one way or anther.....I know some speakers will be way underpowered with stock headunit and will actually sound worse than with stock speakers....this is what I would like to avoid...LOL

Old 09-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Banned

it would be fascinating to see what you find if you just take his advice. "brands" are advertizing hype in most cases since probably most speakers are all made in some slave lobor sweatshop in,,,CHINA where all the top quality products come from today. on the way out the door they paste a "brand" name on them.
so relax and go to walmart or rad shack. your "non monsoon"aint gonna blow them anyway.

typical listening levels are a few watts till u want to impress your girlfriend

Old 09-12-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by drtom
it would be fascinating to see what you find if you just take his advice. "brands" are advertizing hype in most cases since probably most speakers are all made in some slave lobor sweatshop in,,,CHINA where all the top quality products come from today. on the way out the door they paste a "brand" name on them.
so relax and go to walmart or rad shack. your "non monsoon"aint gonna blow them anyway.

typical listening levels are a few watts till u want to impress your girlfriend
No need for the sarcastic tone...Dr....brand is merely a way to identify what is good and whats not for me.....I am not a little teenie bopper trying to impress my girlfriend, i am 40 years old and just asked for my fellow Hummer owners help....thought thats what its all about here.....maybe I am wrong
now you can tell me to relax! LOL

Old 09-12-2011, 05:00 PM

Hey man I did an upgrade on my stereo I put Boston acoustics in and they sound great. There not the high end model they don't need much power to push them. On another note dont worry about those 2 guys they dont like anything not made in America. So until the day they pay for my stuff I dont pay them any mind.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:14 PM

Take a look at all these component systems. Keep in mind, you will probably want to add a small amp to drive a component system.

Car Selector

I have owned the Infinity Kappas and loved them. However, you can't really go wrong with many on the link posted above.

Personally, in my H3 I only changed out my Head Unit and left the factory speakers in the doors and tweets in the pillars. Also, I added a mid sized amp with a 12 sub in the rear. Didn't want anything overly expensive or over the top. Just wanted a decent souning system. I must say, what I did sounds very very nice.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:22 PM

thedave8;

Front speakers for a Non-Monsoon system is what you are looking for right?

What you want to look at in the "specifications" section of the speakers you are looking at:

First is the "Sensitivity" rating which tells you how efficiently speakers converts power into sound. The higher the number, the louder the speakers will play. An efficient speaker helps you maximize your available power (which is what you want). I would look for a speaker / component set that has a "sensitivity" rating of no less than 90db an no more than 93db. This is the decible rating of the speaker with 1 watt of input measured at 1 meter from the speaker.

Next look at the "Frequency Response" which will tell you the range of frequencies the speaker you are looking at will reproduce (lowest frequency to the highest). For full-range speakers / components, the wider the range, the better. Optimal is 20 - 20,000 Hz, the range of human hearing. That being said with the limitations of power from the stock head unit and the size of the door speaker 6 1/2" I would suggest something that reproduces from 45 to 60hz to 20K hz.

Last, for the better sound you are looking for I would suggest a "component system". Since you already have a mounting location for a "separate tweeter" in the A-pillar. This will allow you to run a 6 1/2" speaker in the door playing the low and mid range frequency and the tweeter will play the "highs" and create a more realistic "sound stage".

I would look at the crutchfield link Doc mentioned and see if there are any speakers or components that fit the criteria above and your price range. Then look to purchase them from someone else (crutchfield is expensive in my humble opinion).

With that being said here are a couple component sets to look @ in different price ranges:

Boston Acoustics SE60 $109.99
Boston Acoustics SE60 6-3/4" component speaker system — fits 6-3/4" and 6-1/2" openings - Features & Specs at Crutchfield.com
Sensitivity 92 dB
Frequency Response 58 - 20k Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 2-55

JL Audio TR650-CSi $179.99
JL Audio TR650-CSi Evolution™ TR Series 6-3/4" component speaker system - Features & Specs at Crutchfield.com
Sensitivity 91 dB
Frequency Response 59 - 22k Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 10-50

Infinity Reference 6030cs $199.99
Infinity Reference 6030cs 6-3/4" component speaker system — also fit in 6-1/2" openings - Features & Specs at Crutchfield.com
Sensitivity 93 dB
Frequency Response 53 - 21k Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 2-90

Boston Acoustics SR60 $299.99
Boston Acoustics SR60 6-1/2" component speaker system — fits 6-3/4" and 6-1/2" openings at Crutchfield Signature
Sensitivity 90 dB
Frequency Response 45 - 22k Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 2-85

Diamond Audio H600S $499.99
Diamond Audio H600S 6-3/4" component speaker system with silk tweeters at Crutchfield Signature
Sensitivity 91 dB
Frequency Response 42 - 24k Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 15-85

If you are going to use separate "amplification" that's a whole different "book" that I will not be typing anytime soon!

Hope this helps with your search!

Last edited by TAINTER; 09-12-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by hectour
Hey man I did an upgrade on my stereo I put Boston acoustics in and they sound great. There not the high end model they don't need much power to push them. On another note dont worry about those 2 guys they dont like anything not made in America. So until the day they pay for my stuff I dont pay them any mind.
thanks Bud...will check em out

Old 09-12-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Fancy Pants
Take a look at all these component systems. Keep in mind, you will probably want to add a small amp to drive a component system.

Car Selector

I have owned the Infinity Kappas and loved them. However, you can't really go wrong with many on the link posted above.

Personally, in my H3 I only changed out my Head Unit and left the factory speakers in the doors and tweets in the pillars. Also, I added a mid sized amp with a 12 sub in the rear. Didn't want anything overly expensive or over the top. Just wanted a decent souning system. I must say, what I did sounds very very nice.
Great info! thanks! where did you munt the 12?

Quick Reply: question on speaker swap, H3,non monsoon