Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Ported Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Banned

i knew it would eventually get to the the three duece high riser sittin on a side oiler 427 built for short bursts at 1320 foot time trials!!,where mileage is not considered!!
just how does it pay off in a hummer?. more air needs more gas to maintain the computer controlled ratio,air/fuel. you can pump more air in also. will that get free power,better mpg?

im still/always looking for the point of payoff,cost benefit.
and im always ready to agree that for some guys it feels good to spend money for a talk point,thats fine,not for me.
seems to me,if you "grease the skids' and let more air slip by,the comp will notice and respond,more gas to go with the air,more power at that particular foot position,causing or requiring a lighter touch to ultimatly drive the same as yesterday.

if you cant make more power with less expense,why not just push the pedal more when you need to go faster. i just toured the hills in west pa and made it up each one just fine

edit, btw i went to a tb port website to read about the process from a man who is in the business. he showed pix of how he machines out your tb to a max oversize and installs a new brass throttle plate to match the new size. so much for not being enlarged huh!!. then he shapes and polishes for max flow and max fuel usage at the drag strip, i guess! bigger holes mean quicker action with less pedal motion.
it does nothing else. so if you spend a lot of time at WOT you want a big tb!!

Last edited by drtom; 03-24-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:28 PM

What you are saying make a lot of sense. But moving more power to lighter pedal make it scoot around town easier. Plus it doesn't down shift as much on every little hill. I will be doing a PCM upgrade in the future to take full advantage of my mods. First a muffler, then headers and then the PCM.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:01 AM

DBC,

Where do you get headers? Do you need someone to custom make them or does some place sell the ready to go?

Old 03-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Old 03-25-2012, 12:57 PM

These are the ones I'm looking at I5 Colorado/Canyon Stock Replacement Header

Skeeter has a set ordered now. I want to hear his impressions.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:23 PM

I had read there was an issue with them hitting the H3 frame, but I know Skeeter asked about that before he ordered it. Big difference in price.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:39 PM

Does anyone make them for the Alpha.(Headers)

Old 03-26-2012, 09:09 PM

When you order the header I bought they make it for you. I am still waiting on mine. i ordered it over 3 weeks ago. The one that everyone talks about hitting the crossmember is the longtube for the I5. You can get headers for the 5.3L.

Last edited by skeeter; 03-26-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by drtom
i knew it would eventually get to the the three duece high riser sittin on a side oiler 427 built for short bursts at 1320 foot time trials!!,where mileage is not considered!!
just how does it pay off in a hummer?. more air needs more gas to maintain the computer controlled ratio,air/fuel. you can pump more air in also. will that get free power,better mpg? More 02 needs less fuel

im still/always looking for the point of payoff,cost benefit.
and im always ready to agree that for some guys it feels good to spend money for a talk point,thats fine,not for me.
seems to me,if you "grease the skids' and let more air slip by,the comp will notice and respond,more gas to go with the air,more power at that particular foot position,causing or requiring a lighter touch to ultimatly drive the same as yesterday.

if you cant make more power with less expense,why not just push the pedal more when you need to go faster. i just toured the hills in west pa and made it up each one just fine

edit, btw i went to a tb port website to read about the process from a man who is in the business. he showed pix of how he machines out your tb to a max oversize and installs a new brass throttle plate to match the new size. so much for not being enlarged huh!!. Why not share you venerable source of all knowledge on this topic. Maybe some dude enlarges TB plates for some other vehicles, but I am talking about a H3 done by SuperModulation?

then he shapes and polishes for max flow and max fuel usage at the drag strip, i guess! bigger holes mean quicker action with less pedal motion.
it does nothing else. so if you spend a lot of time at WOT you want a big tb!!
Who said anything about drag strips?
Best of luck on your grease the skids approach.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:09 PM

Skeeter,

Just so I am understanding things, you are saying the Hummer H3 Long Tube Header System from KPE and Hummer Parts Club is the one that hits the crossmember (links below)?And you ordered this one from OTTP and that fits w/out modifications:Am I correct or do I have things wrong? And why is the OTTP one so much cheaper than the Long Tube Header?

Quick Reply: Ported Throttle Body