Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Ported Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Default Ported Throttle Body

I know this has been discussed before but I wanted to share my thoughts. Got my PTB from Supermodulation and installed it on my 06 H3. Very easy installation. Maybe 30min. Let it idle for 10min and then went for a drive. I let my wife drive first because she drives the H3 daily. First thing she said was WOW! I don't know if it dynos better but the throttle response is vastly improved. It took away that dead feeling the pedal had.

Easy mod and not much $. Well worth it.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

It is a worthwhile mod for sure. I agree.

However... a lot of what the driver perceives as significant throttle response improvement is actually just a change in throttle position (ie. you literally don't have to get your foot in it as far for the same throttle response).

In other words, if you do the PP TB on a stock truck it seams very noticeable. If you do other mods first (intake, PCM tune, CAT back exhaust and Efan conversion) and then add the PP TB, not so much.

We have messed with this through a couple customers by comparing just the PP TB (impressive), then an intake followed by the PP TB (still impressive) then following with the PP TB after additional mods where the "jump" seams to diminish. It is still a no brainer part of the overall performance mod package.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the breakdown Doc. I have the AirDoc, it was my first mod. Now I need a muffler.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Banned
Default another complete waste of time and money

does the computer still precisely control and set the air fuel ratio to the exact same number as b4 the mod?
i would guess so since it monitors air flow and o2 sensor signals,and other stuff.
so a really big tb would make the pedal movemant hard to handle while a smaller tb would spread out the movement for easier driving.
i dont think there is ANY real change in power,just the rate of response and thus the "feeling of POWER!!"

hey its fun to play with cars. i started in the crib.

oh,no brainer is right!!

Last edited by drtom; 03-22-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:12 AM

I was just going to order one of these. My question is do you think it would invalidate the 100,000 mile power train warranty if something went wrong w/the engine. I'm debating on if I should keep my original around and buy a seperated one or just have my current one ported.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jvorpahl
I was just going to order one of these. My question is do you think it would invalidate the 100,000 mile power train warranty if something went wrong w/the engine. I'm debating on if I should keep my original around and buy a seperated one or just have my current one ported.
Two questions: How they gonna know if you don't tell them? What would a PP TB do to damage your engine, it just controls air flow?

I suppose if you ordered the chrome painted version they could tell from looking at it it was not stock, but otherwise, they would never know the difference.

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act Auto Warranties, Routine Maintenance, and Repairs: Is Using the Dealer a Must?

Old 03-22-2012, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds

that "aftermarket" or recycled parts section is gold. BRAVO!!!

Old 03-23-2012, 11:54 AM

Thanks Doc. I've know about the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act but I've always wondered if they would go out of their way to somehow prove my part did the damage even if it isn't. I'm just a bit paranoid of shady dealers b/c of some past bad experiences. But those were actually not dealers but private shop owners.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Banned
Default foot feels better

i will maintan that without pcm reprogramming, the ported/modified tb can DO NOTHING WHATEVER,except change pedal feel. if it simply lets more air in with less pedal push you will feel a different action,just exactly as you do when driving a strange/rental car,,,untill yourfoot/brain get used to it,, then the fun is over,unless you get a thrill looking at the invoice of mod money spent!!

same effect is felt by just pushing the stock throttle pedal a little harder!

Last edited by drtom; 03-23-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

The change in pedal position feel is part of it, but that is not where it stops.

Absolutely no tuning is needed for either an intake of a PP TB to improve performance. This is a parameter where the PCM can do some box learning. No doubt, with a tune both can produce even better results.

The TB is not made bigger, the OEM throttle plate size remains the same. Rather, the shape of the TB is changed. The back side OEM has a sharp lip for, inaccurate and unneeded O ring sealing surface, that is removed so it matches the opening of the Intake Manifold. Much like the days of old when we would have the intake manifold and intake openings in the heads machined to align and match perfectly. The bumps in the lower two side of the OEM TB are removed to allow air to flow straight through the bore plate opening without interruption from turbulence. Then the TB is polished smooth, not like the old school polish to a mirror, but still with some scuffing. Then each one is flow bench tested for optimal flow velocity. From piles of flow bench date compiled over the years, it is now conclusively proven that the scuffs actually are more efficient then the mirror finish in moving air.

Not only is volume increase, but velocity is as well. More O2 in faster, allows more power to be made faster and at WOT. At any given RPM the PP TB out flows the OEM. So more O2 allows the PCM to lean fuel trims by box learning to the optimal burn and efficiency. With rapid throttle demand, more O2 allows the PCM to slide up the spark curve and bump fuel trim.

Its the same principle as drinking Root Beer through a straw. Arbys has a nice big ID straw, McDonalds.... not so much. Which one can you drink your Root Beer faster with and and using less effort?

You can watch both on the dyno and tuner program. Whatever theories you adhere to, the dyno doesn't lie.

Quick Reply: Ported Throttle Body