Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Oil leak, bell housing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 07:06 PM
Default Oil leak, bell housing?

2007 H3 3.7l 165k miles

Background info: A year ago took it to mechanic for coolant leak and oil consumption diagnostics. They couldn't find anything obvious causing the oil consumption (was using approx. 1 quart every 400-500 miles) and gave me a hefty quote for the thermostat and lower radiator hose. Decided to tackle that job myself plus some; lower radiator hose, thermostat, valve cover gasket, intake manifold gaskets, new oem spark plugs, airdoc (resonator and pcv hose had oil in both), cleaned throttle body and MAF sensor, water pump, fan clutch, battery.
After all that was done, the oil consumption seemed to improve but did not fix the problem. She's been misfiring here and there since I changed the spark plugs, almost always when idling. Since then been using a quart every 1000-1500 miles. Over the winter I had to crawl under for something and noticed a bit of oil around the bell housing inspection cover. Removed the cover and did not see any oil inside, so figured my husband was just too messy changing the oil and it blew it back while driving. Today I crawled under it and the rubber plug on the bell housing has a ton of oil around it, looks to me like freshly leaked oil (last drove it yesterday afternoon). There is also a hose coming from the front end that leads to nothing (drivers side) that is also covered in oil, not sure if related or what.

So, I searched around on here at rear main seal and oil pan gaskets but did not really find anything similar to my situation to give me a place to start. Throw your knowledge at me!

Last edited by Farryn Fodge; 03-25-2022 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:36 PM
Old 03-26-2022, 10:57 AM

Pull out the rubber plug and look inside. You can see the rear main seal area.

I consume a lot of oil also, especially when running on the highway. Using manufacturer rules, I don't think your rate of consumption is considered bad or out of tolerance. But I think it is crazy!

Old 03-27-2022, 05:46 PM

Check the valve cover gasket. Make sure the bolts are tight and that it is sealed so there is no weeping, leakage.

Old 03-28-2022, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Oil consumption means is disappears = gets burned. You have an oil leak. Check that all the oil pan bolts are torqued to spec. While at that, check the Trans Pan bolts as well. Clean it all up with degreaser, then focus on finding the source of the leak.