Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Oil leak after drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 06:48 PM
Zco

Originally Posted by Justinh
My sympathies go out to you, Zco.
Thanks, I'll get there with it.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:54 PM
Zco

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
You have a leak cause by a mechanical issue (ie all the oil pan bolts are supposed to be Torqued: 18 lb ft sides, 89 lb in) stop leak is no going to fix that. I see replacement bolts meaning an incompetent idiot stripped out OEM fasteners and tried to use larger replacement bolts.
So the leak seems to have mostly stopped after tightening the larger bolt. However, there is still a weap from around the two stripped bolts. I take it the threading on the engine is stripped and not the actual bolts since you mentioned it looks like those had been replaced. I think if I can get those tapped for some new bolts I might be in good shape. I'm wondering how dumb of an idea it would be to put a couple self tapping bolts in there just to get it snugged up? If that is the only area that is leaking then I don't see them needing to come back out and in, and if I ever do need to replace the pan, I can have it tapped at that time. Sounds like a reasonable idea but also stupid at the same time.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:58 PM
Zco

Maybe another option since they are pretty low torque is finding a threaded insert or something that can be epoxied into place?

Old 03-30-2022, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Helicoils do not need epoxy, they just need the correct tapped hole.

Old 03-30-2022, 03:23 PM
Zco

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Helicoils do not need epoxy, they just need the correct tapped hole.
It's been 3 days, no leak, I'm just going to run it at this point. If I see that it starts excessively leaking again, then I will just have the whole job done. Today's project is terminals after having to order a Neg because I accidentally bought two positives.

Old 03-31-2022, 04:03 PM

Be sure to post a pic after you install your battery terminals.

Old 03-31-2022, 04:04 PM
Zco

Originally Posted by Justinh
Be sure to post a pic after you install your battery terminals.
Already did the job but didn't get a pic. Is there a wrong way?

Old 03-31-2022, 10:16 PM
Zco

Alright, so something interesting. I put the skids back on last night, drove it around today, and now oil everywhere. Is it possible the skid plates are causing this? Maybe applying pressure somewhere on the oil pan? I guess I'll pull them again tomorrow and see if that screw backed out again.

Old 04-01-2022, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

It should be OBVIOUS what the cause of your leak is........... and it has absolutely zero to do with skid plates. C'mon, stripped out bolts are not going to keep the pan up tight to make a permanent seal.

Old 04-01-2022, 02:05 PM
Zco

Yeah you're right Doc, taking it into the shop now. I've been on a little witch hunt with it because I am seeing oil up higher than the pan, but I think what's happening is the oil is dripping on the pulley and getting thrown up higher.

Quick Reply: Oil leak after drive