Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Oil leak after drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 09:29 AM
Zco
Default Oil leak after drive

Hey guys, good news, my transfer case fixed pretty affordably and it is driving nice! I took my son to a campout which was about 50 mins away down the interstate. Made it there and back fine, but woke up this morning to a nice little puddle beneath my front end. It appears something is dripping then running down the skid plate the bigger puddle is on the side my driveway slopes. I tried looking around with a flash light, and could not quite pin point the source. I did suspect the oil filter as it looked a little wet, but I did not see any evidence of a an oil trail under that drain ramp part. Any thoughts?

Old 03-27-2022, 04:36 PM
Zco

New development. Took the skids off and found a couple of loose bolts. I am ashamed to ask, but what are these bolts holding on? I tightened the large one, but the two smaller ones seem to just spin freely. Any chance that could have been the source of the leak?

Old 03-27-2022, 04:38 PM
Zco

Also I had already degreased at that point so don't take the lack of oil to mean that it hadn't come from there. Don't know if it had, but it's the only obvious spot I found that wasn't right.

Old 03-27-2022, 05:43 PM

well that looks like a butch job on the oil pan lol! You can see the gray RTV all over the area squeezed out and smeared. Those bolts should be double checked to make certain that who ever did that monkey d!ck routine did not stripped out the aluminum threads. Check the trans lines also for leaks.

Old 03-27-2022, 05:54 PM
Zco

Might be talking to myself here, but I dove around a bit and found that the oil is coming from behind this main pulley. The more I look at it, I am thinking all this grey silicone is not supposed to be there and that someone did it to suppress the leak.

Thoughts?

Old 03-27-2022, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Zco
New development. Took the skids off and found a couple of loose bolts. I am ashamed to ask, but what are these bolts holding on? I tightened the large one, but the two smaller ones seem to just spin freely. Any chance that could have been the source of the leak?

Old 03-27-2022, 06:01 PM
Zco

Originally Posted by Happy Hummer
well that looks like a butch job on the oil pan lol! You can see the gray RTV all over the area squeezed out and smeared. Those bolts should be double checked to make certain that who ever did that monkey d!ck routine did not stripped out the aluminum threads. Check the trans lines also for leaks.
Just saw this reply, thank you! Kind of what I was thinking as well. I am pretty sure those threads are stripped. Is it an insert or will they need to be rethreaded?

Old 03-27-2022, 09:23 PM
Zco

Soooooo..... How frowned upon is using something like Lucas Stop Leak in the I5? Anyone had particularly good or bad luck with that?

Old 03-28-2022, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

You have a leak cause by a mechanical issue (ie all the oil pan bolts are supposed to be Torqued: 18 lb ft sides, 89 lb in) stop leak is no going to fix that. I see replacement bolts meaning an incompetent idiot stripped out OEM fasteners and tried to use larger replacement bolts.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:52 PM

My sympathies go out to you, Zco.

Quick Reply: Oil leak after drive