Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

MPG drop after leveling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 04:26 PM

Good question that I can't answer. I have not been her passenger in probably a year.

I asked her this same question and of course she said no, but I am sure her perception of gunning and stabbing is way different than mine.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:14 AM
qui

Old thread, I know--sorry.

I've been reading around, and it seems like everyone who levels the front end is also adding a bunch of weight (bigger tires, racks, grill guards, etc). Is there anyone who just brought the front end up, and didn't add a bunch of extra weight?

Right now, with my non-leveled 06 H3 base, my windshield seems to be perpendicular to the ground. Raising the front end seems like it should cause the windshield to sweep back, allowing the air to flow over the top. So I'm having trouble seeing where the increased drag comes from.

Thanks,
--qui

Old 03-25-2013, 09:20 AM

It's cool man. I wanted this thread to be a reference for people to look to for info. I'm guessing the loss in mpg comes from the nose of the h3 blocking more wind. The axle stays the same but the nose comes up, and a few more inches of wind is blocked. But like you said, I didn't think about the slope of the windshield. Although that may just minimize the effect the nose has after leveling.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by qui
Old thread, I know--sorry.

Right now, with my non-leveled 06 H3 base, my windshield seems to be perpendicular to the ground. Raising the front end seems like it should cause the windshield to sweep back, allowing the air to flow over the top. So I'm having trouble seeing where the increased drag comes from.

Thanks,
--qui
The correct way to ask a question about an old as dirt thread is to start a NEW thread, ask the question and link the old thread(s). Don't be sorry, just follow this suggestion.

Answer: air UNDER the bottom leading edge hits more of the front tires and everything else underneath, while air over the top of the windshield is unchanged.

Add to that, tires with more aggressive tread have more drag at highway speed than smooth street tires of the same size and weight.