Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

MPG drop after leveling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by slumlord
I was getting 18.3 mpg stock. Raised frt end to 23.5 and put 315/75/16's on and recently added Adventure Roof rack. Now get 15.6 avg tank. Plan to send off PCM for PCMTUNEFORLESS. Might get 1-3mpg back. But didn't buy hummer for gas mileage. bought for fun, looks and go whereuwanna. plus picked up a little extra on the side wid it too...
You can't complain about that mpg especially with the roof rack and tires. I'm with you on why I bought it. I'll keep adding stuff to it regardless of mpg. Luckily I only have a 5 mile drive each way to work so my miles are down enough to not worry about it. I probably wouldn't care anyway though since I love my 3.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rajul_Al_Hummer

If you level it, what happens when you are carrying half a tonne of gear in the back? Do you end up looking at the sky?
This is a thought I had way back when, and it is a good question. "Levelling" means different things to different people. When I had my bone stock H3 Adventure, I could see within the first couple days that the passenger side up front was lower than the driver side. So first I levelled it across from left to right. The pssgr side was 5/8" lower than the other, so while raising the pssgr side with the T Bar adjust, the driver side came up from its starting position as well. In other words, when I went up 5/8" on the pssgr side, the opposite side went up 1/4", so now I had to go further to level it side to side.

Then I was thinking about trailer tongue weight, loads and passengers. So I drove for a while with the front leveled side to side for a few days, something like 1" above stock. Later I raise both sides another 1/2" + and intentionally left the nose a tad lower than some who go up to what I consider the max, and others that even go too high.

Bottom line, I have had 880# of flag stone in the rear and never really had the back lower than the front. Those rear springs have a pretty hardy rate.

Best thing about "leveling" is you can go as much (up to the max of 23 3/4" from hub center to fender IMHO) or as little as you prefer. The higher you go, the more you wack your MPG.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Widespread Hummer
Look 85305 the real ***** is the guy that comes on here and thinks that everything he does to his H3 is what should be done to everyones. Was running your mouth about the dude with the chrome last week not enough? The guy asked a technical question, not your opinion on what you think everyone should do to their H3. Do you have no filter or just choose to spout whatever the hell comes to your head? BTW, STFU.
Interesting. So I gave input into a technical opinion and I'm endouring your banter? Save it please. Your "stfu's" dont scare me.

Originally Posted by marksteven
I personally want to thank you for your Honesty when it comes to the MPG #S Lately some of the Bull S##T posted on this forum is off the hook . Wait and watch : some one will be getting 19 MPG with a leveled H3 on 315's with 4 adults inside loaded with gear and a winch up front. Trust me, wait and see!!
Actually I normally get 18.6mpg highway.. with my truck leveled, with 4 adults and 1 10-year old, and 5days worth of camping equipment thru the hills of WV netted me like 15mpg lol. Oh I also had a huge tent secured to the roof rails.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:59 PM

i went from a 265 to a 285 and i think thats where my mileage loss cam from since most of my drivings in town.

i have also wondered about the front rake and thought it might be to help short drivers see a little better over the hood but i don't know for sure.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:11 PM

not sure. I leveled mine before running a tank of gas through it.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Banned

I've heard of people not losing ANY mileage going with 33" duratracs over stock 32's.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:08 PM

My front end is actually a little higher than level. I had planned on having a frt brush gaurd and winch on it by now so I thought with the extra weight it would go back to level or just a hair lower than level. I need to order the extended bump stops to stop the nose dive if I hit the brakes a little quick or anything other than a glide stop. I figure that the brush gaurd and winch will take another .5 to 1 off on my mpg too.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:00 AM

I'm getting about 15.5 mpg in an 08 Alpha, is this normal? I was also going to level and go with 33" BFG AT's but cant really afford to lose the mileage!

Old 01-18-2011, 02:05 AM
Banned
Default jfwiw

my stock 07 /265's got 20 on a good day /trip
my stock 10/285's best is 18.
need to see in warm weather,same trip.

town driving in crappy algore weather is best at 14,,its been freezing or lower here for abt 7 weeks

Old 01-18-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sugs13
I'm getting about 15.5 mpg in an 08 Alpha, is this normal? I was also going to level and go with 33" BFG AT's but cant really afford to lose the mileage!
15.5 mpg on an '08 Alpha!?.......I can only wish!

Quick Reply: MPG drop after leveling?