Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Moon Roof leak from Pillar

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 05:32 PM
Default Moon Roof leak from Pillar

Does anyone know how to remove the driver's side pillar (has airbag in it) & possibly the headliner?

I finally got around to pinpointing the location of the leak. Removing the side panel by the door exposes a hole in the base of the pillar. I can see water dripping from inside, somwhere. My guess is that the tub has entirely disconnected from the moon roof outlet.

I'm tempted to block it with something, but I don't know if the tray will just overflow instead. There's water pouring all over various electrical connections. Talk about a pain!

To my knowledge, most of the issues are blockages in the firewall. I wish it was that easy.

Last edited by Synthetickiller; 08-30-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:46 PM

as i recall , theres a screw back of that little cover?? have a look...

Old 08-30-2015, 06:00 PM

I just did some more digging & found a few videos & threads about it.

I removed the a-pillar. I'll be testing it now to see where the water comes from. If it's up beyond the pillar, this will become really fun...

Edit:

Yep, the water is coming from up higher.
I found this video: It seems to walk through the entire process or at least give me hints (it's for the rear).

I'll update as I go.

Last edited by Synthetickiller; 08-30-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:06 PM

I removed both A-pillars & unhooked the oh crap bar by the passenger side.
I was able to pull the head liner away enough to get a look & see what was up.

Here's a shot of the passenger side. The tube wasn't even connected! Water was draining into the head liner & through the open/close button for the moon roof! I connected it & knock on wood, it doesn't leak now. I will zip tie it before putting everything back together.
Name:  3WdKK3h.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  77.9 KB

The driver's side is attached, but still leaks. I'll pull it & see what the problem is tomorrow while I still have day light.

I'm blown away I don't have an electrical issues.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:14 PM

All I can say is that passenger side tube is a beeeyotch to put back!! Punch out the flappers to prevent future clogging. Mine have been good since doing this mod and we get some of the worst rain in the country living on a tropical island. Good luck.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by HawaiianH3
All I can say is that passenger side tube is a beeeyotch to put back!! Punch out the flappers to prevent future clogging. Mine have been good since doing this mod and we get some of the worst rain in the country living on a tropical island. Good luck.
Once you get a lot of the trim out of the way, getting the tube attached on the passenger side is fine. I had to also reattach the driver's side. That was just a hair more difficult, mostly because I'm right handed. So far, so good. I have no leaks after testing w/ the hose.

I have to cut out the flaps. I have yet to to do that. That's another deal for another day. They aren't clogged, so at least I'm ok for now & we get enough rain here that dust isn't much of an issue.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:50 AM

Once the mr drains are functioning, pouring CLEAN SHOWER through at every oil change will keep them clog free.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:14 AM

I thought I responded to the post!

After removing the ceiling liner back to the B pillar, I was able to reach up & around to attach the passenger side & monkey with the driver's side tube until it sealed corrected. Everything went back & looks like I didn't touch anything.
No leaks so far!

Ordieh, I'll try that. Sounds like a good way to keep this from becoming a problem again. I'll do the same on the H2. Thanks for the idea!

Old 09-08-2015, 08:34 AM

This happens all the time. Mine leaked then I had in cleaned out then reamed the drain plugs.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:21 PM

Did mine today, blew out the lines. Passenger side w great, drivers side blew the tube ff so I pulled the sun visor and pillar post so I could lower the headliner and reattach. Then I took a product called crud cutter and poured close to 3 ounces in each side of the open moonoof o it would drain into he tubes. Let it sit for ten minutes and then ran 8 ounces of hot water in each side 3 times. Water now pours out under the vehicle like it should. Will keep check on it and run the crud cutter every few months to keep slime build up out.

Quick Reply: Moon Roof leak from Pillar