Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Mice problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Default Mice problems

Egads! I live in New Mexico near Albuqeruque. For some reason, my H3 is being attacked by rodents. To date, I have replaced the Fuel tank assembly, Air conditioning harness and air intake hose. I have also had to replace the fuel line, all due to rodent chewing.

I have been told that mothballs and dryer sheets can be used to deter mice because they do not like the smell, but this does not seem to be working, since my most recent problem is the running lights and blinkers (front) are not working, the windshield washer pump no longer turns on and now the ABS warning light came on.

I appreciate any help - I certainly did not account for this type of repair bill when considering the payment on a Hummer!!! Does anyone know of a sure way to put an end to this? I have not called out a pest control co. as yet, but will soon. I wanted to explore a less-expensive option (if there is one).

BTW - I have another vehicle and a motorcycle, and to date the only vehicle being muched is the Hummer.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:07 AM
Default RE: Mice problems

Wow, that's crazy...Hard to believe that is happening...

Obviously you don't have any cats or animals outside...So, pour a small amount of antifreeze and water 50/50, in a saucer and place one around each tire...It will attract them to drink and eventually Kill them off...And of course, this is for if you don't have any neighborhood cats or dogs either to harm...

For all you tree hugging PETA morons...Bite me!

Old 06-07-2006, 12:28 AM

See animals love H3 too.
But i do not no if you can get this it like a ferterlizer called dried blood animal hate it they will not go near it i been using in my yard for the last few years. Just put some on those place for a few nights.That might work.Better yet spead it all over the yard and around where you park.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:45 AM

I used to park my Jeep outside and had a mice, and squirrel problem. The moth ***** trick does NOT work. I had so many moth ***** around the Jeep I could smell them from a block away. I opened the hood and saw a squirrel pop up. Went inside to get the pellet gun and when the squirrel was still there I hit him but it did not kill him ( THEY ARE VERY TOUGHT). The next day I put 4 rat traps baited with peanut butter in the engine compartment and got him the following day. Kept using the traps and got a rat a week latter. i suggest 4 rat traps and a couple of mouse traps. It is a pain but so is replacing parts. They also chewed up my $150 car cover, using the material for a nest. There was actually a nest in the engine compartment.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:32 AM

I want to thank you(all) for the suggestions. I have tried traps, I have caught 8 so far that way. But I think that because the winter was so dry my yard is simply overrun and every time I think "this is it" then, another issue comes up. I like the fertilizer idea, if I can find it that might just repel them. I 'll look around.

I am also considering getting a couple of Bull snakes to turn loose in the yard but that may prove to be difficult to control. I'll update if I manage to get this resolved - I've never seen it this bad. I guess my cats are doing their thing since I have not found any in the house (thankfully).

Old 06-07-2006, 05:56 PM

Haha that sounds hilarious, mice, squirrels, and nests in the engine compartment? It does sound like a real pain though.

Do you park your car in the garage or outside?

I never had any rats eating my truck for dinner but when we had mice in/around the house we used to get rat poison and mix it up with peanut butter. Those bastards learn to recognize the smell of poison so they dont eat it anymore, but they still like peanut butter. Worked for us.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:41 AM

Happy to say the new H3 is parked in the garage. When I had the Jeep I had to park it outside because I had 2 Corvettes and my wifes Subaru in the garage. Her car has to be inside as I do not want her going out in the morning as there are mountain lions in the area - in neighbors yard last week. I sold the 2 Vettes and replaced them with a Z06 so I have room for the Hummer too.
I remember years ago when I had a 69 Corvette and lived in an apartment complex in Phoenix and I wanted to keep the car safe and dust storm free. I bought 10 4'x8's and built a garage in about 5 hours. Used heavy black plastic inside the walls for a roof. Found a couple of rocks on top of the plastic from someone who hoped to crack a window or just damage the car but the whole "instant" garage worked well for me. It might work for you too.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: skeeet

Happy to say the new H3 is parked in the garage. When I had the Jeep I had to park it outside because I had 2 Corvettes and my wifes Subaru in the garage. Her car has to be inside as I do not want her going out in the morning as there are mountain lions in the area - in neighbors yard last week. I sold the 2 Vettes and replaced them with a Z06 so I have room for the Hummer too.
I remember years ago when I had a 69 Corvette and lived in an apartment complex in Phoenix and I wanted to keep the car safe and dust storm free. I bought 10 4'x8's and built a garage in about 5 hours. Used heavy black plastic inside the walls for a roof. Found a couple of rocks on top of the plastic from someone who hoped to crack a window or just damage the car but the whole "instant" garage worked well for me. It might work for you too.

I bet you wish you still had that 69 vette

Old 06-08-2006, 01:04 PM

We had a weasel on the farm that would get into the car (68 plymouth VIP) and run over our ankles when my mother would drive us to school if we missed the bus. She almost crashed once and did put the thing in the ditch. Best part was it got in the house one time and bit my sister on the toe when she was putting on make up. It hung on for about 10 seconds, funniest memory I have of childhood.

Good luck

This man is available for vermin problems in England.

[IMG]local://upfiles/542/E81AF8A6CA6749628CE7D53C261CBA6E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-09-2006, 12:47 AM

dilo2001gt Yes I wish I kept all my older Corvettes. I had a yellow 59 convert, yellow 65 convert and a yellow 69 convert- all of them together would be a nice collector series of the C1, C2 and C3 Corvettes. Really the best of the group was the 65 - the pre-smog engines ran real strong. I sold the 65 for what the wheels are worth now ( original knock offs) . All in all, my current 2002 Z06 is by far a superior Corvette in every way. I now own one of the world's fastest cars and one of the world's slowest (H3).

Quick Reply: Mice problems