Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Low temp code .. operating temp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 10:12 AM
Default Low temp code .. operating temp?

Sorry for extra topic, but it's not exactly same as cutting fender post I made.

I'm changing the thermostat because I thought it was stuck open. I never get above that 1/4 way line on gauge last 2 months. Plugged in reader, I get a temp of about 170 deg max when running.
When I pulled thermostat, it was closed, so there goes that theory. ( Seems it was working properly)
My question is.... Will a bad temp sensor throw the code? I am reading about operating temp of 200-210? The check engine light has been on entire time with the temp code, a reset just comes back again. Is 170 ish correct? Or should it be higher? If so.... Any ideas? While I'm working on getting new stat back in, figured I would ask. Thinking sensor is next, to get proper reading on gauge?

Thx guys

Old 01-13-2018, 10:35 AM

stuck open or opening at a lower temp causing low temp reading. stay focused on replacement of the thermostat and recheck. GL

Old 01-13-2018, 12:11 PM

Agree. Stat likely opening to soon or sticking open.

I replied to other post as well. When I ran 180 stat and temps hovered at zero here engine temp would be as low as 160 and no codes or drivability issues. Just less mpg because engine would throw more fuel trying to run warmer. Think about my other reply. Many folks have done the mod and never run warm in crazy hot days.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:13 PM

Also wanted to mention the gauges are no where reliable. If you are getting 170 on scan tool sending unit is working.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:13 PM

max i see is just over 200 on hot day at idle.
they use a 195 to keep temp up for best performance

Old 01-13-2018, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by BruceS

When I ran 180 stat and temps hovered at zero here engine temp would be as low as 160 and no codes or drivability issues. Just less mpg because engine would throw more fuel trying to run warmer.
Most damage to the engine and components occur at low operating temperature. Optimal operating temperature is between 195-220degrees.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:23 PM

Thank you guys. After a long battle, got it replaced and it was opening at a lower temp it seems. Be stat has the gauge back to normal now.
What a bad spot to put it. Lol.
Thx again, in just a short 15 minute ride, at higher temp, she feels better already. I'm happy this one is over.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:48 PM

Nice work, the only thing to do now is clean the carbon buildup.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:20 AM
Question Where?

Originally Posted by JerseyCoast
Thank you guys. After a long battle, got it replaced and it was opening at a lower temp it seems. Be stat has the gauge back to normal now.
What a bad spot to put it. Lol.
Thx again, in just a short 15 minute ride, at higher temp, she feels better already. I'm happy this one is over.
Jersey Coast Would you recomend the shop that replaced your thermostat. What was approximate cost?
Thanks!

Old 10-05-2019, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by wpage
Jersey Coast Would you recomend the shop that replaced your thermostat. What was approximate cost?
Thanks!
I actually did it myself. PITA but not impossible. Tight squeeze, need to remove tire. I use Dennis' Service Center in Brick, NJ for the H3 when I cant do it myself. They are very familiar with them.

Quick Reply: Low temp code .. operating temp?