Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
I agree with Bunger 100% on his post. No need for a torsion bar "reindexing" kit, 23 1/4 to 23 1/2"(max). Drive around, slam on the brakes to settle the t-bars, go back and measure and relift as necessary until you are between those #s. Take it in for an alignment after your adjustments are completed. Save the $ from buying the kit to use for your alignment!
We have done it on all 6 of ours throughout the years and I personally don't like the ride at over 23 1/2".
[QUOTE=TAINTER;295199]

Both of my 2006's I had and my 2010 now came stock at 22 3/4" that's almost 23" already. If you raise it a half an inch to get to 23 1/4 Well... That's a waist of yout time and money for an allignment. Plus you won't notice a difference in the looks or ride at all. The back will still sit several inches higher than the front. You might as well just leave it alone.

Yes there are people out there who like the grandma and grandpa looks on their H3's I'm just not one of them. Don't get me wrong... I loved my 2006's and I didn't do anything to them. They road nice and were great off roading... BUT... The extra 2-3 inches of ground clearance makes a world of a difference when off roading. Plus if you put 33" tires on top of that, you are talking almost 5 more inches of ground clearance compaired to stock.

I lifted my 2008 and never had any issues. I put over 70,000 miles on it.
I haven't had any with my 2010 so far either.

(OK, 1 issue) The issues was shorting my radio antenna's so they wouldn't bang on the garage door go in and out!!! (took 5 min to fix)

But yes... like Burger said... Use the money for an alighment.
Paying for a leveling kit is a waist of money... It's not needed... You can do it with out spending money on one.
If you're gonna lift it... Lift it... (not a 1/4" - 1/2" though) Make sure the lift worth spending money on the alignment. Go at least 2" but not more than 3" Why spend $70 on an alignment for a 1/2" lift?

Last edited by stevelnew; 04-04-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:27 AM

[QUOTE=stevelnew;295377]

Both of my 2006's I had and my 2010 now came stock at 22 3/4" that's almost 23" already. If you raise it a half an inch to get to 23 1/4 Well... That's a waist of yout time and money for an allignment. Plus you won't notice a difference in the looks or ride at all. The back will still sit several inches higher than the front. You might as well just leave it alone.

Yes there are people out there who like the grandma and grandpa looks on their H3's I'm just not one of them. Don't get me wrong... I loved my 2006's and I didn't do anything to them. They road nice and were great off roading... BUT... The extra 2-3 inches of ground clearance makes a world of a difference when off roading. Plus if you put 33" tires on top of that, you are talking at least 5 more inches of ground clearance compaired to stock.

I lifted my 2008 and never had any issues. I put over 70,000 miles on it.
I haven't had any with my 2010 so far either.

(OK, 1 issue) The issues was shorting my radio antenna's so they wouldn't bang on the garage door go in and out!!! (took 5 min to fix)

But yes... like Burger said... Use the money for an alighment.
Paying for a leveling kit is a waist of money... It's not needed... You can do it with out spending money on one.
If you're gonna lift it... Lift it... (not a 1/4" - 1/2" though) Make sure the lift worth spending money on the alignment. Go at least 2" but not more than 3" Why spend $70 on an alignment for a 1/2" lift?
My response was for TDavis.

There are so many contradictory and untrue items here I don't even want to get into them. Besides the incorrect math!

Old 04-04-2013, 08:13 AM

[QUOTE=TAINTER;295409]
Originally Posted by stevelnew
[SIZE=1]

My response was for TDavis.

There are so many contradictory and untrue items here I don't even want to get into them. Besides the incorrect math!

Duh!!!
My response was for Tdavis also. You gave your opinion and I gave mine.

Name just 1 contradictory statement... Or one untruth... or even 1 incorrect math... Facts though... Not your opionion.

You won't because you can't!!!

We all know you too well... If you could... You would have... You have never been shy about voicing your ideas. Why would you stop now??? Because you know there was nothing untruthful about anything I posted, I didn't contradict anything and my Math??? Well, there was no math really, but again that's your opinion.

Last edited by stevelnew; 04-04-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:04 AM

[QUOTE=stevelnew;295419]
Duh!!!

My response was for Tdavis also. You gave your opinion and I gave mine.
Name just 1 contradictory statement... Or one untruth... or even 1 incorrect math... Facts though... Not your opionion.

You won't because you can't!!!

We all know you too well... If you could... You would have... You have never been shy about voicing your ideas. Why would you stop now??? Because you know there was nothing untruthful about anything I posted, I didn't contradict anything and my Math??? Well, there was no math really, but again that's your opinion.
You quoted 2 different things of mine but you where responding to him? Nice try since you already responded to him in post #78.

Sure, I'll play along. You are right I am not shy at all, but that does not mean you know me. If it is my opinion I will most likely state that.

Got 1 of each......

Untruth:

“Both of my 2006's I had and my 2010 now came stock at 22 3/4" that's almost 23" already. If you raise it a half an inch to get to 23 1/4 Well... That's a waist of yout time and money for an allignment. Plus you won't notice a difference in the looks or ride at all. The back will still sit several inches higher than the front. You might as well just leave it alone.”

Someone must have adjusted them before you got them. We have owned and mod’d 6 H3/H3Ts and none of them sat at exactly the same height. Heck some were even off delivered from different dealers from side to side. Never did any of ours measure anywhere near 22 ¾” from the factory and they all except 1 where Adventure or OffRoad package rigs. 23 1/4” was the tallest we had (our 1st H3T previously owned and adjusted already).

Math:

“The extra 2-3 inches of ground clearance makes a world of a difference when off roading. Plus if you put 33" tires on top of that, you are talking almost 5 more inches of ground clearance compaired to stock.”

You state that you have “almost 5 more inches of ground clearance compaired to stock” with 33s!!!

Even at 24 ½” you will only gain about 2 1/4” to 2 3/4" max at the front diff skid plate. Then take into account that you may have had 32s (265/75R16s) stock and you go up to a 33” tire (285/75R16) you will have gained only ½” more clearance (take the overall diameter of each tire and subtract them then divide by 2). 32-33=1"/2= 1/2". So (2 3/4"+1/2"= 3 1/4") now we are at a MAX of 3 1/4” of clearance. A far cry from the “almost 5 more inches” you clearly stated. Heck we have 37s on one of ours and the total clearance difference (started with 33s) is 3 ¾” and that is at 24 1/2" (actually 23 1/2 due to the 1" body lift).

Contradiction:

“I've owned 4 Hummers now, 2 (2006's)I left stock, one (2008) was lifted when I bought it already, and (put 50K on it with no issues) now this one 2009 which I just lifted myself and had an alignment this morning.”
Clearly above you stated you have had 2 06s, 08 and a 2010 but in the above post you stated you have had 2 06s, 08 and 2009? Which one is it? I can see a typo of 2011 or 2001 but to have a 2009 to 2010 typo? Don’t blame it on spell check either because your spelling is horrendous.

Oh yeah, us grandmas and grandpas wheel the **** out of our rigs. Try climbing a hill or up a rock ledge with your
right at 25" from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender
adjustment. Hoppin' and a Bouncin' and a Breakin' Parts you will do!

Last edited by TAINTER; 04-04-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:58 AM

Tainter, I wouldn't give him the time of day. This thread to me is just a waste. This site is to help, and educate people. Not to give false information as fact. Yes, I've messed up a few times on here but you guys have corrected me. When someone with experience with applications such as Tainter and Doc give advice, you can be pretty certain that is the truth. I do like to debate certain things, but the info here given by some new members is just false. and there is no reason to even debate with them about it. There are so many things in this thread that can lead people to do the wrong thing and end up with problems with their ride that I think this should be deleted, or at least the misinformation should be deleted.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by egroegart
Tainter, I wouldn't give him the time of day. This thread to me is just a waste. This site is to help, and educate people. Not to give false information as fact. Yes, I've messed up a few times on here but you guys have corrected me. When someone with experience with applications such as Tainter and Doc give advice, you can be pretty certain that is the truth. I do like to debate certain things, but the info here given by some new members is just false. and there is no reason to even debate with them about it. There are so many things in this thread that can lead people to do the wrong thing and end up with problems with their ride that I think this should be deleted, or at least the misinformation should be deleted.
Well, 1st off if this tread is a waist of your time, then why are you following it?
I've never given any miss information EVER... And the only time I've used the words fact... Is when I did something myself and stated that it was a fact... if only to me.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:21 PM

So you are saying because I mentioned you... I couldn't be responding to him? Wow... That's new.

He asked a question, you gave your answer and I told him I disagreed with you. Hmmmm

As far as the 2010 and 2009 I don't see where I said that, but I do have a 2009 Silverado... So maybe that's where I made my mistake... It's possible... Wouldn't be the 1st time, but I wouldn't call that a contradiction, untruth, or bad math. It wouldn't matter what year of Hummer's we are talking about... The bottom line is still the same. True or False?

Now let’s start off by your “Untruth”... 1st off there is a difference between Hummer H3 packages... From what I have been told and from what I have seen the Adventure package sits higher than the stock base H3... Could someone have lifted my H3's before I got them? Sure it's possible, but doubtful.

From what I’ve read on other websites and including this site, there have been 2 packages where the Hummer H3 measured in at 22 ¼ to 22 ½ I can tell you that out of the 4 I’ve owned my 2006’s came in at 22 ¾ and my 2010 was mismatched from one side tothe other, but both sides where over 22”. My 2008 was already lifted so I couldn't tell you what it was stock.

I just went out at lunch just now, and measured my Sgt. H3T and it was mismatched as well from driver to passenger’s side. One side was exactly 22” and the other side was actually just shy of 22”. Could it be human error? I have seen some H3 that have sat much lower than my 2006’s when I had them… I didn’t measure them but it was night and day difference. Even when the wife and I were shopping for them the 1st time, we made comments about the difference in sizes to each other, and I told her I didn’t like theone that sat much lower in the front. This was at the Hummer Dealership in Kansas City. You can still go to a place, where they have multiple Hummers and it would be hard to find 2 Hummers the exact same height. Some have huge differences... For that matter, go on Ebay and look at Hummer H3's you can tell that some sit higher than other... I actually looked for that stuff when shopping for Hummers

Now for the Math

265/75/16 don’t measure 32” they are 31“ and 285/75/16 don’t come in at 33” they come in at 32” to get to 33” you go to 315/70/16… That’s 33”Here’s you a website so you can check it out yourself http://tire-size-conversion.com/

So… if you go from a 31” tire to a 33” tire… That is 2” init’s self… True or False? (true) and if you and 2 ½ inches of lift… You are no what 4 ½ inches… Pretty close to 5” True or False? (psst… it’s true) I actually went with a 17" rim and went with 285/75/17 whch also come out to 33" tires.

As far as off-roading… I really don’t take my ride rock crawling… As you know… No matter what you have, you will be breaking parts… Even custom rigs break parts as they bounce over rocks. True? I'm talking practical 4 wheelin.

I do mild off-roading… I do go over rocks but not huge boulders, I go over stumps and through mud, So when you are stuck in the mud… You will be calling someone with more ground clearance to pull you out. True or False?

Last edited by stevelnew; 04-04-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:09 PM

I'm not going to entertain your little argument here after this post, but if you re-read my post it does not say this is a waste of my time. If it were a waste of my time I wouldn't be reading it. It's turned into a joke and a waste for new people that come on here that are looking for the right way to do it. Hey, I'm all up for a good debate, but this is not, it's a joke. and this isn't a debate, it's catty. Ok. That's all I'm going to bite at. I do not know everything about leveling h3's but I have enough experience with installing custom lifts and suspension on my other vehicles to know what is right and wrong and who's advice is sound.

I recommend to everyone reading this to listen to what the experienced posters have suggested doing.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by egroegart
I'm not going to entertain your little argument here after this post, but if you re-read my post it does not say this is a waste of my time. If it were a waste of my time I wouldn't be reading it. It's turned into a joke and a waste for new people that come on here that are looking for the right way to do it. Hey, I'm all up for a good debate, but this is not, it's a joke. and this isn't a debate, it's catty. Ok. That's all I'm going to bite at. I do not know everything about leveling h3's but I have enough experience with installing custom lifts and suspension on my other vehicles to know what is right and wrong and who's advice is sound.

I recommend to everyone reading this to listen to what the experienced posters have suggested doing.
(Finnish reading the whole thing before you get your panties in a wad)

And I quote "This thread to me is just a waste."
Hmmm in most peoples mind a waist means a waist of time... Sorry If I used your own words and miss construde them some how?!?

Also... Experienced posters? Come on... That means a lot. lol You could be a 15 yr old kid who's never kissed a girl, being an experienced poster only means... You post a lot of things... Those things could be CRAP and sometimes they are!!! lol

I've never said I knew everything there is to know either... I'm sure we have both put several lifts on different vehicle... Never doubted that. This was my 1st torsion bar lift though... Hence the reason I started this thread in the 1st place, because after buying and installing one... I thought... That seemed like a waist. (a waist of my time) I was hoping someone would show me how it wasn't a waist of my time... (knowing it was)

That's it... That's how this thread began. More of a joke really.

All and all, to answer TDavis question... It still boils down to personal preference. There is no perfect answer, or a perfect height.
How do you like to see your H3 sit? I personally like the ride of a 4X4 and the looks of a 4X4. Yes the Hummer H3 still looks good sitting stock… I just like it more leveled out… It looks more aggressive to me. There are pros and cons to what ever you end up doing.
It does have more ground clearance, and I still think it’s awaist to lift it a ½ inch or even 1 inch and pay for an alignment, when you won’t notice the difference in the looks or the ride. (my personal opinion)
If you go with bigger tires, I guess it could be the difference between rubbing and not rubbing, but you might as well go at least 2 inches to make it worth it paying for analignment.
I’m not saying go 4 or 5 inches… I’m not even saying go 3 inches… I stopped shy of 3 inches, and didn't use the rear shackles lift (because of what people like you and Tainter said on here.) I really don’t notice that much of a difference in the ride… Maybe it’s because my 2008 was higher than my 2007…(just kidding… my 2010) and it rode really rough… I don’t know. I think mine looks great and ride great, and this year in the snow we had… It ran like a dream!!! Even better than my lifted Silverado.
Half the time I was the only one out on the roads, where it wasn’t plowed, and it never thought once about getting stuck anywhere.
I will say with the wheels and tires I put on… My fuel mileage shot way down. (From about 17 mpg to 14 mpg) I’m hoping that a Hypertech will fix that soon. (it worked on my Silverado)

So, in the end... I'm not telling people not to listen to you, Tainter or anyone else. Just because I don't agree with everything you two have said, doesn't mean I'm wrong either, but because I disagree or show a different side you both get really pissy.

Again... It's FACT that it's a personal prefrence. There is no perfect number for the right height. Some people like fat women some people like skinny women. Some people like the leveled out look some people don't . Some people like a rougher ride, some people like the smoother ride. Some people love BIG trucks and H3's some people like the stock look on everything!!! It's all about personal prefrence... TURE or FALSE?

Last edited by stevelnew; 04-04-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:44 PM

Thanks stevelnew,
true. You are right it's all about what you like. No one elses opinion matters. Even though i get lots of ideas from these posts. You are the only one who flat out says it is personal prefrence.

P.s. Nice looking h3.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit