Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Steve,

Tainter is right.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by 3hummers
Steve,

Tainter is right.

ABOUT?!?!?!?!?

That's easy to say, when I have no idea what you are talking about... We talked about LOTS of things... And I've admited he's right about certain things, but when he's wrong, I tell it like it is. Like when he says you don't get any ground clearance with a lift kit... That's just obviously wrong. EVERYONE knows lift kits give you more ground clearance, or people wouldn't do them.

There are however different types of ground clearance. From the axles... No. That is only done by larger tires... (which I admit he's right about) But from the body... Duh!!! He's WRONG!!!

The big difference between tainter and I, is the fact, that I will admit when I am wrong. He likes to just say I'm worng and then quit talking. Like with the lift kit not giving you more clearance. He knows I'm right... He just can't say it.

I don't dissagree with him about what works and what won't... But the fact is, that personal prefrence is what matters.

I just like the taller more rugged look to my Hummer H3. Nothing wrong with the more stock look, and it will ride smoother. I don't believe he's right or wrong. But there is no PERFECT ride height, which is what the question was in the 1st place. It's all about personal prefrence... There are pros and cons to what ever you do to your H3. TRUE or FALSE?

He asked me to post pics, of my Hummer and what I've done... I did, (probably because he didn't believe I even had a H3) but did he respond back? Nope!!! Why Not?!?!? Hmmmmm Don't know.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:06 PM

Steve,
This is indeed a rare occasion - Mutaint and I actually agree on something.

What he is talking about is ground clearance. As he says, "In the truck and OffRoad world [ground] clearance is the distance between the ground and the front or rear differentials. Not how far your rocker panel is from the ground - a lift kit will not increase ground clearance." Even though the H3 has IFS on the front, it still has both front and rear diffs/pumpkins (if you don't believe me, just crawl under your truck - if you want to be extra sure, remove the ribbed skid plate to get a better look). No H3 lift kit on the market raises the front diff higher off the ground - trust me. Only bigger tires will achieve that end result.

What you are talking about is body clearance - and a lift kit will increase body clearance - which is the clearance distance between the truck body and frame and the ground (vs. the distance between the diff & the ground). You are mixing up and using 2 different vehicle clearance specs interchangeably when they are 2 different and distinct measurements. A lift kit will, as you state, lessen the chance of high centering your rig on the frame between the front and rear axles, by increasing the rig's body/frame clearance.

Now, a third option would be a body lift - which would increase the distance between the body of the vehicle & the ground - but it does not change the distance between the ground and the vehicle's frame or the differentials but the body lift does allow you to put bigger tires on your rig that will result in an increase of ground clearance.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bigunit
Steve,
This is indeed a rare occasion - Mutaint and I actually agree on something.

What he is talking about is ground clearance. As he says, "In the truck and OffRoad world [ground] clearance is the distance between the ground and the front or rear differentials. Not how far your rocker panel is from the ground - a lift kit will not increase ground clearance." Even though the H3 has IFS on the front, it still has both front and rear diffs/pumpkins (if you don't believe me, just crawl under your truck - if you want to be extra sure, remove the ribbed skid plate to get a better look). No H3 lift kit on the market raises the front diff higher off the ground - trust me. Only bigger tires will achieve that end result.

What you are talking about is body clearance - and a lift kit will increase body clearance - which is the clearance distance between the truck body and frame and the ground (vs. the distance between the diff & the ground). You are mixing up and using 2 different vehicle clearance specs interchangeably when they are 2 different and distinct measurements. A lift kit will, as you state, lessen the chance of high centering your rig on the frame between the front and rear axles, by increasing the rig's body/frame clearance.

Now, a third option would be a body lift - which would increase the distance between the body of the vehicle & the ground - but it does not change the distance between the ground and the vehicle's frame or the differentials but the body lift does allow you to put bigger tires on your rig that will result in an increase of ground clearance.

Hope this helps.

Doesn't anyone read the entire posts? Or do they read just part of the post? Then comment on it.

I agree with what you are saying... I've stated that several time.
I actually JUST stated that in the last post.

The question was, does a lift kit help during off roading, and it can help you while you're off roading... plain and simple.

As far as the H3 diffs. The rear is the only one that needs a larger tires to get more ground clearance. The front Diff moves higher off the ground because it is independent. Yes or No?

But as my last post states and I quote "There are however different types of ground clearance. From the diffs... No. That is only done by larger tires... (which I admited he's right about) But from the body... Duh!!! He's WRONG!!!" End of quote

Although I should have mentioned on the H3 it's only the rear axle that is not affected by a lift kit. The front axle does benifit from a suspension lift kit. (as far as clearence is concerned)

I think people automatically think because I make a comment right after Tainter and Mutaint I am dissagreeing with them. Although I do dissagree with them often... It is usually because they make comments on things that are about personal prefrence. Like the perfect height for they H3.
I think they are both knowlegable people, I just don't think they know everything... Just like me... I admit I don't know everything, but atleast I admit it when I am wrong. They are too good to do that.

Last edited by stevelnew; 04-07-2013 at 02:43 PM.