Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by stevelnew

So… if you go from a 31” tire to a 33” tire… That is 2” init’s self… True or False? (true)

Sorry to break the news to you Stevelnew, but the correct answer is FALSE.
The diameter has increased by 2", but the lift is determined by the radius. You only count the increase from the center of the wheel down which would be 1" (1/2 the diameter = the radius, so 1/2 the increase of the diameter = the height increase.)

Old 04-04-2013, 08:01 PM

stevelnew, sorry man your math does not work. I will attempt to make it as understandable as I can. . .

OEM H3 HUMMER tires:

265/75R16 base tire 31.7" most everyone considers it a 32" tire.
285/75R16 Adventure/OffRoad tire 32.9" most everyone considers a 33" tire.
stevelnews very rare 315/70r16 is 33.2" (only found 1 LT in this size).

So.
Base 31.7 - Adventure 32.9 = 1.2 divide by 2 (overall gain is only 1/2 the tire height difference) and you get .6" of height difference.

Base 31.7 - your very rare 33.2" = 1.5" divide by 2 again and you get .75" of height difference.

Most who choose to go larger go with a 315/75R16 which vary in size from 34.6" to 35.1" which most everyone says is a 35. I think you can do the math now.

Just because you put a 6" lift on a rig does not mean you gained 6" of diff. clearance. You can add a 6" lift and gain no diff. clearance if you keep the same size tires.

In the truck and OffRoad world clearance is the distance between the ground and the front or rear differentials. Not how far your rocker panel is from the ground. If you started with 6.5" of front diff. clearance and you added a 3" lift and kept the same tire you would still only have 6.5" of diff clearance. The tire/rim as a package will determine the actual new diff clearance.

Do you see now how your almost 5 inches of clearance isn't anywhere near 5"?

I would love to see pix of your rig on 33s with it at 25" from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
Sorry to break the news to you Stevelnew, but the correct answer is FALSE.
The diameter has increased by 2", but the lift is determined by the radius. You only count the increase from the center of the wheel down which would be 1" (1/2 the diameter = the radius, so 1/2 the increase of the diameter = the height increase.)

I stand corrected... You are right.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
stevelnew, sorry man your math does not work. I will attempt to make it as understandable as I can. . .

OEM H3 HUMMER tires:

265/75R16 base tire 31.7" most everyone considers it a 32" tire.
285/75R16 Adventure/OffRoad tire 32.9" most everyone considers a 33" tire.
stevelnews very rare 315/70r16 is 33.2" (only found 1 LT in this size).

So.
Base 31.7 - Adventure 32.9 = 1.2 divide by 2 (overall gain is only 1/2 the tire height difference) and you get .6" of height difference.

Base 31.7 - your very rare 33.2" = 1.5" divide by 2 again and you get .75" of height difference.

Most who choose to go larger go with a 315/75R16 which vary in size from 34.6" to 35.1" which most everyone says is a 35. I think you can do the math now.

Just because you put a 6" lift on a rig does not mean you gained 6" of diff. clearance. You can add a 6" lift and gain no diff. clearance if you keep the same size tires.

In the truck and OffRoad world clearance is the distance between the ground and the front or rear differentials. Not how far your rocker panel is from the ground. If you started with 6.5" of front diff. clearance and you added a 3" lift and kept the same tire you would still only have 6.5" of diff clearance. The tire/rim as a package will determine the actual new diff clearance.

Do you see now how your almost 5 inches of clearance isn't anywhere near 5"?

I would love to see pix of your rig on 33s with it at 25" from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender.

I will give you the tire part... I didn't think about it being the diameter. I was wrong about that.

However... You are wrong about the lift part... You would be correct if you are talking about a just a straight axle, but we are not... We are talking about an independent front suspension, but yes the rear axle will stay the same unless you add tire size... Which I did, and when going through creeks, high water, or mud... A 6" lift will keep you 6 inches higher than the stock truck, it's also harder to high center a lifted truck as well. So when I come up to a ledge or down trees on the trails... I can go over more than the stock H3... The tree will hit the front of the stock H3 before it will the lifted H3.

I will send pics if you like... or can I put them on here some how?

Old 04-04-2013, 09:48 PM

Well if I went from 22" to 25" that's 3" of lift by it's self... If you add 1 inch too for tires... Now you are at 4" that's still not far from 5".

I did however admit I was wrong about the tire sizes... So I was an inch off. It's around 4 inches... Not 5.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:11 PM

Why not post your pix on HF so everyone can see your work?

Now you are talking approach angle and breakover angle. Before you were talking clearance.

It's like explaining anything to drtom. I won’t/can’t try anymore. I'll just smile and shake my head from afar. You will believe what you want to anyway.

Last edited by TAINTER; 04-04-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Why not post your pix on HF so everyone can see your work?

Now you are talking approach angle and breakover angle. Before you were talking clearance.

It's like explaining anything to drtom. I won’t/can’t try anymore. I'll just smile and shake my head from afar. You will believe what you want to anyway.

I didn't know we could post anymore pics on here... I have one... That is my red Hummer H3, but I will figure out how and do so.

No we are still talking clearance... How do you think climbing over a downed tree and getting high centered on it is all about approach and angles?
You can push the front of your stock H3 over a downed tree... but as your floorboard and rocker panels are rubbing against that tree... You could end up high centered. If you lift your H3... You do have more clearance. Correct?
You haven't explained that at all.
At least I admitted when I was wrong about the tire sizes... Even though my tires sit 2" higher than my stock tires... I have pics to show that as well, but I could chalk some of that on tire wear.

Last edited by stevelnew; 04-05-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:04 PM

Thanks to all.... Sticking with 23.5" torsion lift and some new 285/75/16 Goodyear mudders. Keeping it basic and trying to keep the mpg's I have now.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by TDavis
Thanks to all.... Sticking with 23.5" torsion lift and some new 285/75/16 Goodyear mudders. Keeping it basic and trying to keep the mpg's I have now.

Post pics when you get a chance!!! Love to see it.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by TDavis
Good call. I'm sure you will be happy with the new look and the ride won't change much at all.

Just so you know, murders vs street tires you will see a drop in MPGs due to the murders having a higher rolling resistance. Shouldn't be a huge difference.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit