Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

I'm thinking about leveling my H3

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 01:55 PM
Default I'm thinking about leveling my H3

Well a shop in town is gonna do it for $25... Sounds like a deal to me.

I'm gonna ask for 23'' from the center of hub to the wheel well. After reading through all of the stuff on leveling the front, I heard do not exceed 23.5'' or stuff will wear out faster. So I guess I'll play it safe and go for 23''

But I still have some questions.

What's the general concensus on doing this?

I've read into and I've come to the conclusion that the Blistien Cognito 5100 shocks are the way to go, and then crank the torsion bars. But some of those threads were from 5-6 years ago so I was just wondering if this was still the best way to level the front properly without buying a "leveling kit".

I just want to do it right the first time ya know.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Pic of my hummer
Sorry... the HTC One's camera is a poor excuse for a camera..

Old 06-16-2014, 02:03 PM

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT waste any money buying a "leveling kit".

I did the torsion bar adjustment 4 years ago and sit at 23-1/2".
I have had ZERO problems. I'm not exactly a street queen either.

Just make sure you get a front end alignment after the adjustment.

Name:  IMG_20130831_173151_122_zps177e7862.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  65.4 KB

Old 06-16-2014, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bunger
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT waste any money buying a "leveling kit".

I did the torsion bar adjustment 4 years ago and sit at 23-1/2".
I have had ZERO problems. I'm not exactly a street queen either.

Just make sure you get a front end alignment after the adjustment.

Gotcha. Nice H3 you have there.
Did you replace the front shocks? Or did you just turn the keys?

Old 06-16-2014, 02:46 PM
rsc

I've been at 23 1/4 for 30k miles and 23 5/8 for another 40k miles. No excessive wear. I ran the stock adventure shocks for most of that with no issues. Raising where the front sits by turning the torsion bars does not change the total amount of travel available. All you do is adjust WHERE inbetween bottomed put and topped out that the suspension will sit at when static. A 1/2" nut under the shock's nut or using longer shocks can give you a hair more travel though before hitting the metal control arm stops.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

How much do you pay to have somebody change a residential light bulb? Just wondering as the difficulty factor of adjusting an H3 T Bolt is about the same, except you do have to use a measuring tape to check the height of the front after turning the bolts.

You do not NEED shocks. Adjust the front height to where you want, check it a couple days later, fine tune if necessary. Get a front alignment, then decide if you want to change shocks.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
How much do you pay to have somebody change a residential light bulb? Just wondering as the difficulty factor of adjusting an H3 T Bolt is about the same, except you do have to use a measuring tape to check the height of the front after turning the bolts.

You do not NEED shocks. Adjust the front height to where you want, check it a couple days later, fine tune if necessary. Get a front alignment, then decide if you want to change shocks.
Thanks.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds

Good stuff, lol.. anyone that can read a tape measure can crank the t-bars..

No, you don't need to replace the shocks (although if original, replace them) however you need to add a spacer to the shock stem or you will end up with a very uncomfortable ride. My a$$ hurts just thinking about it..

Old 06-16-2014, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Good stuff, lol.. anyone that can read a tape measure can crank the t-bars..

No, you don't need to replace the shocks (although if original, replace them) however you need to add a spacer to the shock stem or you will end up with a very uncomfortable ride. My a$$ hurts just thinking about it..

They are the original adventure shocks. I guess I should look at that other thread about shocks lol...

Do you think I can pick up the spacers that I need at a local auto parts store?

Old 06-16-2014, 05:51 PM
rsc

I found some large (5/8?) sized nuts that were 1/2" tall in a junk drawer and threw them on. You could machine up some chromoly spacers and apply gold iridite plating, but why?

Old 06-16-2014, 10:17 PM

any nut that will fit over the stem will work, and definately time to change shocks if they are the originals

Quick Reply: I'm thinking about leveling my H3