Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Ignition/key problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:57 AM
Default Ignition/key problem

Anyone ever have this issue?

I went to Bass Pro tonight and when I got back in the car and put my key in, it wouldn't turn. I tried for over 1/2 hour and even had my wife bring me my spare key to try a different key. No matter how I wiggled it the key wouldn't turn the ingition. I tried turning the steering wheel, taking it out of gear (it's locked up and won't move out of gear even with the brake pressed), nothing worked. So tomorrow morning I'll call GM and have it towed to my dealer.

Very strange problem. I'm guessing the tumblers in the ignition got messed up some how or could it be a security system issue? Any ideas?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:08 AM

I had about the same thing happen to me on my H3 and also my 1997 Chev Blazer. Both times the battery was fully discharged. I hooked up the jumper cables and the ignition would then turn and shift lever would come out of the park position. Hope this info might help.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

If your battery has a fault, if a circuit breaker to ignition senses a fault and trips, if the battery is dead, your ignition switch becomes locked. So when a crook cuts the battery, or breaks your ignition open, she no start and she no turn.

Another very common cause for this is a bad/loose ground.... as you may have noticed, the battery cables for the 3 SUCK!!! If you can wiggle tham at the terminal connection, you will have voltage irregularites which will freak out your BCM, and even the PCM, and ...... dead ignition is one result. If that ever happens again check the cable connections and the ground to the chasis (to the fender behind the battery).

Old 01-29-2009, 07:41 PM

Well I got it to the dealer today and they tore the ingnition apart and apparently something got gummed up in there and messed up the tumblers. They order the new ignition and will install it in the a.m. and I'll have my truck back by noon. Something must have stuck to the key and got jammed into the igniton.

FYI, the tow truck driver said (and dealer confirmed) he has had this issue before with Corvettes and Chevy trucks and that it was a malfunction with the security system. Just in case anyone ever gets a similar problem.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:55 PM

My sons 09 hummer has a similar issue. Key will not come out of switch or start the hummer and transmission is locked. Checked to see if wheels had the switch locked but nothing...jiggled the automatic shifter handle..nothing. Checked for an error code and it showed U1064. The only think that worries me is that I just spent 1900 to rebuild the transmission.. I'll try the battery charger to check the battery, but I am worried ill have to spend more $$.
Anymore ideas?

Old 03-19-2020, 10:18 PM

Old 03-20-2020, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by volvettebc
My sons 09 hummer has a similar issue. Key will not come out of switch or start the hummer and transmission is locked. Checked to see if wheels had the switch locked but nothing...jiggled the automatic shifter handle..nothing. Checked for an error code and it showed U1064. The only think that worries me is that I just spent 1900 to rebuild the transmission.. I'll try the battery charger to check the battery, but I am worried ill have to spend more $$.
Anymore ideas?
Welcome to HF.

Please AVOID DIGGING UP OLD THREADS like this eleven year old dog. READ: Old Threads/'Necro-Bumping'

Your battery is either dead or you are still using the OEM crappy azzed Battery Terminal Connectors. The FIRST Mod to do to every H3/H3T is to hack off the OEM Battery Terminal Connectors and replace with your favorite quality aftermarket brand.... like Stingers etc...