Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

If You Had To Trade Your H3 For Any Other Midsize Suv?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by soonerta
If any of you are wondering what other vehicle you would be in, just maybe you should have gotten that vehicle. People in a H3 want an H3. Weird post.
Thats why I said if you HAD TO TRADE YOUR H3 FOR ANY OTHER MIDSIZE SUV. If you dont have an answer to the question them dont answer it. Its as simple as that.

Last edited by No_Fear_H3; 07-24-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Default Well

I'll tell ya.. I do not have an H3. But have wanted one since they came out, and now Hummer is dead. And it's looking like I may be finally able to get a new SUV this year. Problem is now that Hummer's gone I just can't decide.

It all really came to head on last summer's road trip.. "Dinosaur tracks next exit" -- ooh! So I take the exit in the 2004 Passat, and suddenly the road turns to gravel chunk with ruts & high centerline.. scrrrrape... no fun dino prints for us.

So vowing "never again" here I am and man I can't decide. Basically after a daily driver, only car at first, needs to go camping and carry 2 big mtn bikes, not be annoying to park or drive on long road trips...

I know that being wheeling enthusiasts a lot of you have experiences with other similar vehicles so wonder if anyone's got any input besides "Hummer 4 life"

H3 - Never have a problem on any dirt road I come across. Handles big size treads stock. Adventure edition is ready to rock right off the lot. Plenty room to haul all kinds of crap. Plus sunroof, heated leather seats, and a de-blinging black parts replacement. bad: Dead brand. The seats dont fold flat with the floor? Lame. So no sleeping in it without some sort of workaround. And a mtn bike will not fit real well either in there? The little tank slit windows are claustrophobic. Hummer stigma.

Xterra: Alive & healthy, quick engine, totally flat floor when seats are folded, avail interior bike rack. Safe & pretty reliable from what I've read. Maybe best on road? bad: Its a Nissan. Looks put me to sleep. No sunroof in O.R. model? Totally closed in. Weakest in the dirt. It ain't 'merican.

Wrangler Unlimited: Always liked em, never owned one. Alive & healthy, reliable engine. Gobble up any road surface. Take off the roof in parts, or the whole thing, and doors too if you like. Looks great. Aftermarket is awesome. bad: wheezy engine on road. Rumors of "death wobble" question safety. Leaky? The least room of the 3. Rides roughest of the 3. Suspect it's not good for single car/daily driver for my lady.

FJ cruiser: Lol.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Banned

aaaaaaaaaaahahaha I loved the JF Cruiser piece.

But the floors dont go COMPLETELY flat in the H3; as in, they would be VERY comfortable to sleep on having your head slightly elevated with your feet facing the door hehe.
Realistically, ANY HUMMER is capable to go anywhere off the showroom floor. But the adventure package could friggin conquer the moon if you wanted to. There are mtn bike carriers that plug into the tow hitch though, plus with roof rails you'll have plenty of cargo space.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:06 PM

Since I will not ever buy a foreign car or truck I think a GMC acadia or Chevy traverse would be the next best thing.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:21 PM

I also own a 2009 Wrangler Unlimited and surprisingly enough it does not have less inside space than the H3. It has more. A lot more. If you don't believe me check the vehicle spec's yourself. So far no leaks on either the hard or soft top, no death wobble. Only issue is a very occasional problem with popping out of first gear when accelerating but Chrysler has a fix and our dealer will install it whenever it becomes enough of an issue to bother with. It's lots of fun offroad and great to drive topless or with doors off. Huge array of aftermarket stuff. BUT it is nowhere near as comfortable as the H3, so for longer trips to get to the offroad stuff it's the H3 every time. Also the Wrangler Unlimited gets only about 1 MPG better than the H3. Both good vehicles but not for the same purposes.

I had a 2000 Xterra and really enjoyed it except for the lack of power. It makes the I5 H3 seem downright peppy. It did well for me offroad too, although I never put it to any hardcore rock crawling use. I did travel many rough roads, creek beds, etc enroute to a cave or a crag. Pulled cut trees out of the woods, hauled cut up trees, pulled a trailer. A decent truck even if it is Japanese. Sold it with 191K on it.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:28 PM

considering I sold my 1999 4runner in 2009 with 450,000 miles on it and I still see it out and about. A 4runner.

other than that

H1 if that's midsize.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:40 PM

I'd go with the 4 door wrangler unlimited, after they put a real engine in it. Other than that I would rather walk.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by bflank
I also own a 2009 Wrangler Unlimited and surprisingly enough it does not have less inside space than the H3. It has more. A lot more. If you don't believe me check the vehicle spec's yourself. So far no leaks on either the hard or soft top, no death wobble. Only issue is a very occasional problem with popping out of first gear when accelerating but Chrysler has a fix and our dealer will install it whenever it becomes enough of an issue to bother with. It's lots of fun offroad and great to drive topless or with doors off. Huge array of aftermarket stuff. BUT it is nowhere near as comfortable as the H3, so for longer trips to get to the offroad stuff it's the H3 every time. Also the Wrangler Unlimited gets only about 1 MPG better than the H3. Both good vehicles but not for the same purposes.

I had a 2000 Xterra and really enjoyed it except for the lack of power. It makes the I5 H3 seem downright peppy. It did well for me offroad too, although I never put it to any hardcore rock crawling use. I did travel many rough roads, creek beds, etc enroute to a cave or a crag. Pulled cut trees out of the woods, hauled cut up trees, pulled a trailer. A decent truck even if it is Japanese. Sold it with 191K on it.
Ive test driven the Wrangler limited also. I wasent very impressed with the interior and I also found the H3 to be more comfortable. I liked that you can drive topless with the Wrangler though. Theres nothing better than driving around in the afternoon with the top down.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tackett
considering I sold my 1999 4runner in 2009 with 450,000 miles on it and I still see it out and about. A 4runner.

other than that

H1 if that's midsize.
450,000 miles. Damn.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:57 AM

If I had to trade...
New - Unlimited Wrangler
Used - Restored Early Bronco

Buster

Quick Reply: If You Had To Trade Your H3 For Any Other Midsize Suv?