Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

is the I5 enough for the T, or should i hold out for the 5.3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Default is the I5 enough for the T, or should i hold out for the 5.3?

Hi, first post here, coming from a 4.6 f150 looking to buy a new truck the H3T has caught my eye, its always been a dream of mine to own a hummer but ive always needed trucks, and now this seems to accomodate both my needs

now the questions, all the experience i really have with trucks is the last 6 years ive spent mastering my 4.6, and ive said a million times if i had to do it again i woulda got the 5.4

= sucky acceleration (no im no speed demon, i just hate pulling out on interstates and taking a whole minute to get to that 65 mark)
= every bit of 10-13 mpg's
= pulls like a hoss if theres no gravel involved

with that said, is the I5 motor really enough to handle the T? or might it be better to look around for a 5.3?... ive heard nothing but good things about the 5.3 but at every mag site ive looked at the I5 appears to perform just as well, so of course my next step of action is to ask people who own em.. and thats what im doing here

nice to meet cha

Old 01-13-2010, 01:25 PM

First off welcome, second when in doubt V8 it out! The I5 does the job without a doubt, but if your a little more concerned about the acceleration the 5.3 is better suited for that, second would be since your a truck guy do you haul heavy loads or tow a trailer? That would be an instant V8 classification...

Where are you located, what other options are you considering for it?
-Dan

Old 01-13-2010, 02:46 PM

okay well, howdy

i live roughly 40mi. north of knoxville, TN (which is currently on lockdown thanks to lane kiffin lol)

and when i get rid of the f150 im looking for something thatll cover all its faults (i was 18 when i got the ford, also didnt have internet or anything at the time for info) and then some

anyway i go four wheelin every now and again, but im sure that may be no biggie, but then again i go to auctions alot, and come back with the most useless stuff, why i got a 28ft dutchman sitting in my backyard that the 4.6 wont budge (unless i get a neighbor with a bobcat to pull it out on the road first) so id like to have something i can pop in 4x4 and tank stuff out of my yard with..... and being a part of the hummer cult would be sweet, (we dont have to like gm to like hummer do we? )

and yeah the acceleration thing too, ive almost been rear ended like twice on the interstate cause the f150 dont get in a hurry, i cant really care about top speed or anything (so i dont sound like some truck ricer)

so (looking at h3t) where im at now is
- 4x4
- silver or black
- PTM handles
- black led tails
- maybe black projector heads
- leather would be nice but not necessary

Old 01-13-2010, 03:21 PM

If you need to haul a 28ft trailer you most definetely will need the extra power of the V8 IMO.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:59 PM

so overall the 5.3 is more than enough motor to handle the T?

well, when i start lookin 5.3 it is!!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:28 PM

"and yeah the acceleration thing too, ive almost been rear ended like twice on the interstate cause the f150 dont get in a hurry, i cant really care about top speed or anything (so i dont sound like some truck ricer)"

First off, a big ROLL TIDE for you. Second, be happy Lane Kiffin left. Reminds me of when Dennis Franchione bolted Bama for Texas A&M. Look where it got Coach Fran, last I heard coaching some powder puff football team. Kiffin is no different than Rich Rodriguez, Mike Leach, Pete Carroll, or Jim Leavitt. Each of them either got what they deserve or will get what they deserve. Tennessee deserves much better. I do like the Vols alot, just not on the third Saturday of October.

As far as the H3T (former H3 owner and multiple test driver of both the I-5 and 5.3 H3T) is concerned, if you did NOT like the acceleration of the F150 merging onto the interstate, you definitely won't like either of the 2 H3T engines. If you can look beyond that however, I think you may like the H3T. I LOVED my H3 and regret getting rid of it. If I could get back into an H3T without my wife divorcing me I'd buy one tomorrow. I am a Hummer believer. Sometimes we do stupid things in life and I have to admit that trading in my H3 was stupid! While neither engine option offers great acceleration (I-5 0-60 mph 9.8 secs vs 5.3 0-60 mph 9.2 secs), if you plan on towing and hauling a heavier load, the 5.3 will be a must for you.

Good luck with your decision and I wish the Vols the best in their coaching search.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:43 AM

get one...

Old 01-25-2010, 08:51 AM

Another topic, but if your F-150 truly had a 60 second 0-60 time then I think you might consider that there are some serious mechanical problems there. If that's actually the case, you're going to think the I5 is a Ferarri with a 9.8 second 0-60 time. I wouldn't waste my money on the V8. If you truly want a truck (towing, hauling, etc.), there's better choices out there than the H3T no matter which engine it's equipped with.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:01 PM

So did you buy one yet?

Old 01-31-2010, 07:44 AM

Not yet, im technically not gonna start looking for another 3 or 4 months anyway, right now im just comparing all the options (other brands) i have and proing and coning them

as it is now i got as friend thats a car dealer looking into auctions and stuff and seeing if i can get a deal on a formerly leased or demo alpha

one thing i can confirm, is that the hummer (IMO) takes the gold for looks against all the other trucks out there

Quick Reply: is the I5 enough for the T, or should i hold out for the 5.3?