Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

I am happy to report the oem tires suck. Bad.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by NJTEX
Even non-Adventure H3's have automatic electronic full locking effect on all 4 wheels with the standard traction control system. Unlike driving a vehicle with pure mechanical locking, you have to keep your foot into the gas to make the system work though (in other words, don't feather the throttle).

The better the tires, the better the system works too!
Really? Because I've found to get anywhere offroad I've needed to turn off the Stabilitrak system.

I thought the only "Locking" effect was the brakes being applied individually to wheel's that are spinning without traction, and to me that's a far cry from the job lockers perform.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Draketh
Really? Because I've found to get anywhere offroad I've needed to turn off the Stabilitrak system.

I thought the only "Locking" effect was the brakes being applied individually to wheel's that are spinning without traction, and to me that's a far cry from the job lockers perform.
Turning off Stabilitrak doesn't turn off the 4-wheel traction control system function.

Mimicing the operation of true mechanical locking, the traction control system selectively brakes each wheel as needed to always keep them all turning at the same speed. That's why the H3 can move if only one tire has traction even without front and rear mechanical lockers. The drawback of the electronic system is that it needs wheelspeed to work so it can't stop wheelspin at the very moment you step on the gas from a complete stop. Also, if you try to feather the gas when a wheel starts to spin, you are basically "shutting off" the system just when it needs to start operating.

The driving technique with traction control requires that one keeps on the gas or applies more as wheels start to spin. In other words, stay on the gas and just let the system do it's thing to keep the truck moving.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by NJTEX
Turning off Stabilitrak doesn't turn off the 4-wheel traction control system function.

Mimicing the operation of true mechanical locking, the traction control system selectively brakes each wheel as needed to always keep them all turning at the same speed. That's why the H3 can move if only one tire has traction even without front and rear mechanical lockers. The drawback of the electronic system is that it needs wheelspeed to work so it can't stop wheelspin at the very moment you step on the gas from a complete stop. Also, if you try to feather the gas when a wheel starts to spin, you are basically "shutting off" the system just when it needs to start operating.

The driving technique with traction control requires that one keeps on the gas or applies more as wheels start to spin. In other words, stay on the gas and just let the system do it's thing to keep the truck moving.
Good to know! I did not know this about our vehicles....

Old 04-27-2011, 10:00 PM

aaaaaaand we're off!

Attached Thumbnails I am happy to report the oem tires suck. Bad.-img_1005%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 04-29-2011, 07:33 PM

Here they are on the truck, just got them on today. I'm in love, changes the entire look of the truck! Rides better too, Cleveland potholes can kiss my ***....

Attached Thumbnails I am happy to report the oem tires suck. Bad.-img_1017%5B1%5D.jpg   I am happy to report the oem tires suck. Bad.-img_1019%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 05-01-2011, 09:41 PM

Nice tires but I'm not a fan of white lettering. I would have had them mounted, blackwall out.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bunger
Nice tires but I'm not a fan of white lettering. I would have had them mounted, blackwall out.
I only had them mounted whitewall out since the truck is white, if it wasn't they'd be blackwall!

Old 05-02-2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Why put rice rubber on your 3 when excellent American made tires are available????

I don't mean some foreign crud made in a plant here, I mean American companies employing real live american workers.
what tire companies still mfg. here in the states?

Old 05-03-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by steve lenz
what tire companies still mfg. here in the states?
Mickey Thompson I know for sure.....other than that.....couldn't tell you.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bunger
I also heard that they have more traction in mud when they are mounted blackwall out.

Quick Reply: I am happy to report the oem tires suck. Bad.