Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Hummer H3 CV Axle Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 11:02 AM
Default Hummer H3 CV Axle Replacement

Just wanted to check in and see if anyone else has had this problem with the Cardone 66-1417 CV Axle? I ordered them and they were too long and had different splines. JC Whitney said they have had several returned.

DTA offers the GM-2580 and have confirmed the length with me so I'm waiting for them to arrive.

Here are some other Part Numbers... just wanted to see experience anyone else has had.

Duralast Gold CV Axle Part Number: 6417N

The GM OEM Part Number is AC Delco 25859867.

Detroit Axle has a shaft but it refers to an 8 lug wheel.
The Axle on the left is the Cardone. The one on the right is the original.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

This is what I posted in the last near duplicate thread you started on this topic Monday this week.

I would never use any other half shaft than the ACDelco GM # 15886012 redesigned version from late 2008 that were installed on all 2009 and later H3s, and the end of the 2008 run of H3s. You can buy them shipped to your door for $273.45. They are beefier and a wee bit longer (GM learned something from the launch of the Alpha in 2008 and its steel front diff vs aluminum).

IMHO, when you pay $70 for a $275 part, you 100% get what you paid for, not much. Then again if you like stuff from China and Taiwan installed on your truck, have at it, as Cardone may rebuild stuff, but with what on the inside. And looking at your shaft, that was not a re-manufacture, it was manufacture it sort of close as in Asian knock off.

Good luck.

The top one is a 2007, the bottom is a 2009.

The off brands are cheap for a reason, some are just re-manufactured early versions that you don't want, some of the foreign crap are like 1/16" too short as well. You do not want your half shaft popping out of the axle carrier when buzzing down the highway after a bump. Yes, this has happened, people posted it here years ago.

There is another cheep Chinese version from TrakMotive that you did not mention, got no use for the part #.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:53 PM

100% agree with you Doc. 15886012 ACdelco shafts for our rigs (I buy them from rockauto.com $259.79+shipping).
Cheap parts are cheap parts. They either don't fit properly or don't last as long.
I will only go up in quality from OEM (ex. RCV CV Joints, OD steering parts, etc.) not down.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:28 PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
This is what I posted in the last near duplicate thread you started on this topic Monday this week.

I would never use any other half shaft than the ACDelco GM # 15886012 redesigned version from late 2008 that were installed on all 2009 and later H3s, and the end of the 2008 run of H3s. You can buy them shipped to your door for $273.45. They are beefier and a wee bit longer (GM learned something from the launch of the Alpha in 2008 and its steel front diff vs aluminum).

Good luck.
Thanks... I never saw the previous thread got posted and searched but could not come up with any historical threads (which are popping up NOW!) I was really looking for some insight and after waiting started this thread up again.
In my defense my Threads Started count showed 0 before this one!

I went back and forth with which way to go and decided that at 60 and a bad heart I'm not going to be doing much off road in the future. I had almost gone that route before I found the DTA and thought I would give them a shot. If I give it to my son I'll have him look into the AC Delco as it was a big job to R&R.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds

The off brands are cheap for a reason, some are just re-manufactured early versions that you don't want, some of the foreign crap are like 1/16" too short as well. You do not want your half shaft popping out of the axle carrier when buzzing down the highway after a bump. Yes, this has happened, people posted it here years ago.
It's not unusual for OEM to run higher in cost but in regards to the statement above. If GM found an issue with the shorter shafts why didn't they change out all of them in a service bulletin?

Old 08-31-2017, 03:56 PM

I just got my (2008 base) H3 two months ago and had to have them replaced almost right away. Knew none of this, ended up having cheap ones put in because I didn't know any different. I immediately had to turn the torsion bars back down to stock height because they're too short and with any throttle at all they were clacking. It's working fine now, but I'm going to have to put some money aside for the AC Delco ones at some point, especially if I ever want it level again.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by pavaojc
I just got my (2008 base) H3 two months ago and had to have them replaced almost right away. Knew none of this, ended up having cheap ones put in because I didn't know any different. I immediately had to turn the torsion bars back down to stock height because they're too short and with any throttle at all they were clacking. It's working fine now, but I'm going to have to put some money aside for the AC Delco ones at some point, especially if I ever want it level again.

pavaojc, thank you so much for proving my point on short shafts and mixed 1/2 shaft parts. Kamikazi is one of those who won't believe anyone.

I personally, wouldn't want to fly or drive in any vehicle that has been maintained by those inferior parts he promotes.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
pavaojc, thank you so much for proving my point on short shafts and mixed 1/2 shaft parts. Kamikazi is one of those who won't believe anyone.

I personally, wouldn't want to fly or drive in any vehicle that has been maintained by those inferior parts he promotes.
WOW! You got all that from me asking a question and providing some of the background info I came up with to try and find the best route to go?

My original question: Here are some other Part Numbers... just wanted to see experience anyone else has had.

But hey, thanks for making folks feel welcome!

Last edited by Kamikazi; 09-03-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by pavaojc
Thanks for the info! I think I know what my problem is now but I've had the level for 5 years now and wonder why it would just start now!

Old 09-03-2017, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kamikazi
WOW! You got all that from me asking a question and providing some of the background info I came up with to try and find the best route to go?

My original question: Here are some other Part Numbers... just wanted to see experience anyone else has had.

But hey, thanks for making folks feel welcome!
Maybe the "information" you posted in your other thread on the same subject may ring a bell with my comment. I remember something about only a hard core off-road enthusiast something, something, need to use OEM replacement shafts and the others you have listed are just fine for daily drivers. https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...e-35481/page2/

Like I said before. There will always be someone who won't listen to the advise of others before them who have gone through the process many times and are just trying to save you time and $ by doing it right the first time with proper parts and some time saving techniques.