Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Hummer H3 alpha performance upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Wwwwwwwwhaaaat? drtom has taken over mvrocky too! Oh NO!
Your right I did write a droky thing! But my input hasn't been brought. Can u say the same thingTainter ? I do read old posts
May point was why pay for a product that doesn't show any improvement .by chaging the intake tube on the Alpha has shown no performance, That is why the big boys don't make a kit for it (per AFE Engineering dept "its a straight tube with no bend:" )why change it ?

Old 05-03-2014, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mvrocky
That is why the big boys don't make a kit for it (per AFE Engineering dept "its a straight tube with no bend:" )why change it ?
The big boys do not bother with minuscule markets, the # of H3s of all varieties made is not worth their R&D, the H3 Alpha is only a small % of an already minuscule share of the truck/SUV market. Volant did launch an intake for the LH8 powered trucks, but they had fitment issues on the GMT355 side and decided it was not worth pursuing.

A stock 2009 LH8 2WD Colorado base numbers from 3 dyno pulls no mods was 223HP/251TQ. The addition of an Air Doc H3A through a K&N filter dynos at a max boost of 19HP and 13TQ, the filter itself showed no measurable improvement.

Those #s are peak at 5200RPM and through my least favorite dyno place that has a Mustang, but with a conservative smoothing factor. We did an 11 Canyon (LH9) at a better place with a Dynojet and the #s were a bit different, but not enough to bash the Mustang (I just don't like them). Anyways, dyno #s are only for one thing in my mind, just shows you moved in the right direction. Other than that, pretty useless. Realistically you gain 12-16 usable HP and similar TQ. That's why am comfortable with the tried and true formula of 1.5-2HP per cylinder performance intake affect.

Maybe this makes rocky feel better, maybe not?

Unfortunately, as pointed out by skeeter, and assuming you would have similar response from an LH8 in an H3 Alpha, it is very difficult to feel/see that bump in a heavy FT 4WD H3.