Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Hummer H3 4WD Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Default Hummer H3 4WD Issues

I have a 2006 Hummer H3 with 125,000 miles. When I make a turn at slow speeds, the tires lock up and make this popping noise. The also skip on pavement. Every now and then it will make this extremely loud POP as if something slips. The car is in 4Hi, not 4Hi Lock or 4Lo Lock (or at least the switch inside shows that it is). The puzzling issue is if I put it into neutral before I make a turn, it will turn just like normal. I can even put it into drive once in the turn and it acts completely normal. I took it to a transmission shop and they said it was the fluid in the differentials that needed to be changed. They replaced the fluid, but it did not fix the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-26-2012, 11:26 PM

Keep searching the forums there is something about hummer using a plastic shift fork that can break and it will act like it is in 4 hi when it is not and the light will still say 4 hi. I also have a 2006 so far mine is ok but I'm dreading the day it goes out. If it is under warranty I think they can replace it with a metal one. Not sure on the the cost. One other thing you can do is drive in reverse for a bit to see if that will kick it out of 4 hi lock. Sounds like the shift fork to me though. Good luck hope this helps.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you ARE stuck in 4 high lock.

In a safe place, back up a good distance, then shift into hi lock, back up more and then try shifting back to 4 Hi.... back up some more and turn the wheel side to side. See if it works, otherwise you may have to look at T Case work.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:00 PM

You ARE in 4HI Lock! You do NOT want to drive it on the street in 4 HI Lock. It will trash your rigs drive train.

If Docs suggestion does not work. Have it towed to a trans/transfer case repair facility ASAP.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:51 PM
Default he 4wd

Hi I have the 2010 h3t n I've been through this also in the manual it tells you the speeds you need to drive to switch between each of the 4wds also on mine I had a problem with the actuator
Hope this helps
Originally Posted by tjones2011
I have a 2006 Hummer H3 with 125,000 miles. When I make a turn at slow speeds, the tires lock up and make this popping noise. The also skip on pavement. Every now and then it will make this extremely loud POP as if something slips. The car is in 4Hi, not 4Hi Lock or 4Lo Lock (or at least the switch inside shows that it is). The puzzling issue is if I put it into neutral before I make a turn, it will turn just like normal. I can even put it into drive once in the turn and it acts completely normal. I took it to a transmission shop and they said it was the fluid in the differentials that needed to be changed. They replaced the fluid, but it did not fix the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-10-2019, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Francesca Wolfsohn
Hi I have the 2010 h3t n I've been through this also in the manual it tells you the speeds you need to drive to switch between each of the 4wds also on mine I had a problem with the actuator
Hope this helps
You are replying to a posts that are almost SEVEN YEARS OLD! Please avoid digging up old threads.... that would be more helpful.

READ: Old Threads/'Necro-Bumping'

Old 02-22-2021, 12:25 PM
Default 4wd issues

I have a 2007 H3 this past week I had it in 4wd high lock a few days while driving on the snow. I took it out and back in 4wd high as normal on thursday. Sunday drove about ten miles then it started
making this clicking noise. any suggestions

Old 02-22-2021, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bbstastny
I have a 2007 H3 this past week I had it in 4wd high lock a few days while driving on the snow. I took it out and back in 4wd high as normal on thursday. Sunday drove about ten miles then it started
making this clicking noise. any suggestions
Did NOT even LOOK at my warning about OLD AZZED Posts Necrobumping? Just tacked on your question on the end of a dinosaur thread.