Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Hummer didn't survive offloading last weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Default Well

I have a freind that has a wangler. He has spent all this money on his jeep. 35s mickey thompsons lift steel bumpers. He will not take it off road. Ha i think it funny.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Thanks Xlr8n. I wasn't trying to give the Jeepers too much credit.

Just pointing out that 3s are a different animal and as nice as possible tell a new guy to learn how to wheel the 3 before just goes doing what his Jeep buddies are doing and deciding he should leave it parked for fear of abuse.

Understood and agree. The funny thing is the Jeep guys tromping down on the skinny pedal aren't doing it right either!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:35 AM

Dude, once you get a better feel for how to off road the 3, it won't be as expensive to fix. I drove the **** outta mine thinking it should be able to do everything I wanted off-road by just giving it more gas. After I tore up the front end (t-bars cranked too high, but it looked really cool, and detrimental application of the gas pedal) I rebuilt it and several hundred dollars later had a really good feel for what I should be doing.
My 3 was a really nice truck, I loved it alot--but I never had a problem wheeling it because it "was too damn expensive". Something about the way it felt compelled me to use it for what it was built for. Now that I've got a deuce, I've got a lot harder of a time giving it the hell I gave the 3, but I'm not sure why. The deuce is alot more solid, more capable, and harder to break. I think I like it in a different way, a lot more.
So, fix the 3, screw the idea of getting a quad, and continue making memories with your HUMMER. I've got pages of priceless pictures of the fun I've had.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:04 PM

My upper ball joints are bad and I just found out after going to O'Reilys and Napa then finally city chevy that you can't replace the upper ball joints in a hummer h3 without replacing the entire control arm. I though the mechanic was trying to dick me.

Seems like a bad design for an off road based vehicle.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:24 PM

I know exactly how much credit to give the Jeep and the H3 off road... :P

Name:  806f21ce.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  129.8 KB

Old 05-18-2012, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by The ///Man
I know exactly how much credit to give the Jeep and the H3 off road... :P

So you parked your 08 H3 Base next to a Rubicon (don't know the year) in a mall parking lot and you know exactly how much credit to give the Jeep and the H3 off road?

You need to compare an Adventure or OffRoad Package equiped H3 to the Rubicon. Lockers with Lockers and Low Range T-case to Low Range T-case to get a proper comparison. Both have their strengths and both have weaknesses.

We get the Jeep thing that's why We wheel HUMMERs!

Old 05-18-2012, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Xlr8n
Trust me when I say you guys are giving Jeeps far too much credit.

I can tell you straight up Jeeps have many downfalls as well. I had an '05 Jeep Rubicon for about 4 years that I just sold last fall.

Throw a set of 35" tires on a lifted Jeep and the stock axles and gears quickly become the weak link, on or offroad. The stock axleshafts and knuckles are prone to breakage with any aggressive gas pedal.

The stock TJ brakes are completely inadequate with 35's. A Jeep owner can only dream of having a brake system as high-tech and functional as the H3.

A stock Jeep TJ can only fit 31" tires without rubbing. To fit 33"s you need at least 3" of lift. Adding a decent lift to a TJ without getting driveline vibrations is a major undertaking in both time and money. For any lift higher than 2" you need a combinations of a motor mount lift, either a transfer case drop (which reduces the clearance you are attempting to get with the lift) or a TC slip yoke eliminator, new driveshaft, adjustable control arms to correct the driveshaft angle... the list goes on and on.

I had what is considered the top end offroad Jeep and I still needed to invest a ton into suspension upgrades just to run 33's and managed to explode the factory rear LSD/locker which resulted in a total rebuild. The transmission took a dump and needed a complete rebuild at 40k miles. The oil pan developed a leak at 12k miles. Both front axle seals leaked at 30k miles. The water pump and timing cover seal were replaced under warranty at 35k miles. The front driveshaft failed at less than 30k miles.
And I babied that rig with only very mild occasional offroading.

Bottom line, the grass isn't always greener.
Well said friend.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:55 AM

The///Man. Do you own both? Or you just doing a parking lot comparison? I guess I just dont get it!

Old 05-18-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Pappibri
The///Man. Do you own both? Or you just doing a parking lot comparison? I guess I just dont get it!

Rubicon is mine, Hummer is my wife's, parking lot is mine too, LOL

Name:  7c6d4091.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  301.4 KB

That being said, she has followed me a number of places in the Hummer and the vehicle definitely shows it weaknesses against the Jeep, even in instances that don't involve lockers and low range. I will say, at least the Hummer has some pretty nice tow rings for when it gets stuck.

Last edited by The ///Man; 05-18-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Lightbulb

Aren't the tow rings to be used for pulling other vehicles out?

Quick Reply: Hummer didn't survive offloading last weekend.