Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Help with changing transmission fluid on a 5-speed H3

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 03:20 PM
Default Help with changing transmission fluid on a 5-speed H3

Hi guys,

I've been searching on the site but it seems all of the threads about changing transmission fluid refer specifically to automatic transmission vehicles. What is the process for changing the transmission fluid on a 5-speed manual H3?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:57 PM
rsc

Unless I had the synchros go out or teeth sheared off I have never opened up or even changed the fluid in a manual transmission. They just go on forever without needing an oil change. Autos just have so many bits and pieces wearing that changing fluid regularly is a no-brainer.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:55 AM

Your owners manual will tell you what fluid to use (there are several different recommendations in the different 06-10 manuals). It's pretty easy. Remove the drain plug, drain, replace the drain plug, remove the fill plug (I believe it's actually a sensor port) and fill with the appropriate amount of fluid (also in your owners manual).

Old 02-21-2014, 09:14 AM

It's basicly just a drain and fill with 24mm plus I believe. But you have to watch out. I believe you can only use 75w90 gl 3. I read some where that gl5 will harm the syncros

Old 02-21-2014, 10:41 AM

An old trick I learned years ago.
Is to remove the fill plug (sensor) first.
Then remove the drain plug, to drain fluid.

You do this because if you can not get fill plug out of transmission case and you have already removed drain plug and drained trans. Well, now you have a real problem.

The frozen tight fill plug generally only happens on old transmissions, but don't take that chance. Tainter is right, check your manual for correct fluid.
I have changed my fluid twice in fifty thousand miles. Tranny still shifts smoothly

GM Part No. U.S. 89021806

Last edited by wfturner; 02-21-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by wfturner
An old trick I learned years ago.
Is to remove the fill plug (sensor) first.
Then remove the drain plug, to drain fluid.

You do this because if you can not get fill plug out of transmission case and you have already removed drain plug and drained trans. Well, now you have a real problem.
Excellent advice! Same, when I change engine oil, I pull the oil level indicator (aka: dipstick) and engine oil cap first, before I drain. I've seen to many issues over the years(broken or seized). Can't drive it without fluid, so first take the time to make sure you can put the fluid in.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:13 PM

I believe the fill on the manual trans is a actual plug on the drivers side of trans not a sensor. Their is a sensor on the top of the transfer case that you have to remove to over fill it. At least on my 06

Old 02-22-2014, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by CVH3
I believe the fill on the manual trans is a actual plug on the drivers side of trans not a sensor. Their is a sensor on the top of the transfer case that you have to remove to over fill it. At least on my 06
Don't over fill it! 2.5qts GL-3 75w90. It doesn't matter where you fill, you will not over fill it, if you only add 2.5qts. Using the fill plug only works on level ground.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:13 PM

I do all my work on a level rack so I generally just fill to the bottom of the fill plug. where do you guys get GL3 75w90??? the only place I can find it is the gm dealer or its acdelco brand and cost on the stuff is like $12-$15 a quart. is their any other options???

Old 02-22-2014, 04:46 PM

http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/wp-co...ence_Chart.pdf

75w90 GL-3 (HPS 10W-40 or XPR 10W-40)

Types
There are several types of manual transmission fluids. Max-Gear 75W90 is a gear oil formulated for manual transmissions and is used in such vehicles as Audis, BMWs, Daimler Chrylser Viper, and Dodge trucks. Synchromax is a synthetic manual transmission fluid formulated for vehicles that specify the use of an automatic transmission fluid, such as some BMWs, Bert & Brinns, Fords, and GM models. SAE 30, SAE 10W40, and SAE 10W30 are motor oils that are used for manual transmissions, such as some Jeeps, BMWs and GM Corvettes. XPR 5W30 and XPR 10W40 are racing oils designed for high-performance vehicles, such as Hondas, Jeeps, Acuras and some GM models.

Features
Use the appropriate manual transmission lubricant for your vehicle because this can affect your transmission's performance. In cold weather, if you use a more viscous fluid, the transmission will be difficult to shift and the drive will be sluggish. Likewise, do not use a thinner type of fluid in hotter climates, because this will make the transmission perform as if there isn't any fluid, and this will increase the wear and tear on the transmission.

Warning
Maintain the correct level of manual transmission oil to keep it lubricated and to prevent damage. Synthetic lubricants for manual transmissions flow very well through the transmission, even at low temperatures. However, before switching to a synthetic lubricant in a rebuilt manual transmission, use a standard oil lubricant for the first 3,000 miles. This will adequately lubricate all of the transmission parts and "season" them for their long-term usage. The synthetic transmission oils will then act as a near-permanent lubricator for your manual transmission.

http://www.pennzoil.com/wp-content/u...rans-Fluid.pdf

http://www.carquestprofessionals.com...0%206.6.13.pdf

Last edited by hummerz; 02-22-2014 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Help with changing transmission fluid on a 5-speed H3