Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Handling mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Default RE: Handling mods

ORIGINAL: importkiller

well....your call on lowering but for off roading your WAYYYY off...lowering it will KILL your departure and approach angles.
True, in some way. It would depend on what type of offroading you did. Desert trucks are set up to be low but with long travel. A lot of them run at 60-70 % sag in there travel.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:25 PM

Wayne, I'm curious, what would you consider to be superior the the H3 off of the showroom floor for desert or trail rides, not rock crawling? (You already said the Wrangler for rocks and I wouldn't argue that.) I agree you could lift and mod a ford and make it great, but what about a stock vehicle?

And since tone can't come across in an email, I'm just asking, not accusing or calling BS. All friendly like, ya know?
[/align]

Old 01-11-2008, 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: alrock

Wayne, I'm curious, what would you consider to be superior the the H3 off of the showroom floor for desert or trail rides, not rock crawling? (You already said the Wrangler for rocks and I wouldn't argue that.) I agree you could lift and mod a ford and make it great, but what about a stock vehicle?

And since tone can't come across in an email, I'm just asking, not accusing or calling BS. All friendly like, ya know?
[/align]
If I had to have one vehicle to do both I would go for a wrangler unlimited. A short wheel base wrangler would buck to much it the desert. Below is peek at my desert truck.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:59 AM

I know this is a really old post duckstu, but that Impala SS you humiliated on the on ramp. I have to know what year it was.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:00 PM

After reading this thread I can only think that a Trailblazer SS would have been a much better vehicle choice.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:02 PM

It's been a long time now and I'm not up on Impallas. I'm pretty sure it was a more recent one. Not the Caprice Classic one.

I seem to remember that we had a bit of a "go" as to who would get to theinterchange first. I charged in first. And when I exited, he/she must have been about 1/2 way around it,...because it was quite some time before I saw the headlights.

But that was at -2 degrees front camber,....which I wouldn't even suggest for a hot street sports car, let alone a 1950's technology vehicle like the H3. When I got home I reduced it to -1.3 or so,....and would recommend to others about -.5 to -1

Right before the cloverleaf deal I had an alignment done,... and had given instructions to the service writer (at a Belle Tire that a friend worked at) as to what I wanted. The tech moron that did the work apparently couldn't read. Hesaw thatthe alignment was at factory spec and just pulled it back out. When I told him I wanted more camber and that's why I had brought it there (and showed him the writing his boss had written on the work order that he had in his hand),..he got uppity and told me that the tires would wear fine the way it was.

Iresponded with 2 things. One that tire wear wasn't the reason I was in for an alignment,..rather I wanted it to handle better and be safer on the road. And two,...that the tires don't wear well in stock form unless you only drive in a straight line. I showed him the rear tires and explained that they had been on the front untill the day before,..and because of cornering (which even Hummers must do occasionally, hence the steering wheel) the outer edges of the tires had feathered. And that adding a bit of neg camber would cause the tires to wear MORE evenly AND improve handling.

He left in a huff,...put the car back on the rack and cranked in 2.1 degrees of camber. (Just to be an *** I guess).

So I went home and did it correctly,...which is whatI should have done in the first place I guess.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:54 PM

I like hilljobs idea!!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:49 AM

Wow this thread won't go away!
Let's make a special section of HUMMER Forums for Ghetto HUMMERS and Parking Lot Cruisers. I'm sure IMPY won't mind.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:27 PM

ORIGINAL: RealJeep

Wow this thread won't go away!
Let's make a special section of HUMMER Forums for Ghetto HUMMERS and Parking Lot Cruisers. I'm sure IMPY won't mind.
[sm=violin.gif]

Hey now,..no need to call names.

Because, on the flip side,....one couldlabel it...."Suspension modsfor guysthat are over5'2",.. and expect even their station wagons to handle like post-1950's vehicles." [sm=smiley4.gif]

But that gets a bit wordy. Perhaps we should leave the title alone,...and theguysthat hategood handlingcan just skip overthis thread.

I mean,...why would a guy that hates good handling ever click on this thread in the first place?

You see? It goes both ways.

Besides,...most of us live in developed nations that haveroads. Some are dirt,..most are paved. But even the dirt ones can be easilly traversed with the average car.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Now now...everybody play nice.

Quick Reply: Handling mods