Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 stalling

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Default H3 stalling

Hello, we have a 2007 H3. It has 112,000 miles on it. Lately we have had an issue with it stalling out. Took it to Advance Auto and put the meter on it. It shows a misfire in Cylinder 3. I replaced the coil packs in all cylinders and spark plugs. Didn't help the problem. It always starts right up but then especially in the morning acts like it is going to stall out and runs a little rough for a minute or so then clears up, but sometimes when going around a corner when we let off the gas it will just stall out. Someone told me to clean the Mass air flow sensor and the throttle body. I know neither of those two things have ever been done. I was thinking maybe I would try that tomorrow. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks, George

Old 08-16-2012, 07:43 PM

Advance auto as well as other auto parts carry cleaner specifically for the MAF sensor.

The product most use including myself is called "CRC" MAF cleaner.

I would not recommend any other type of solvents to be used on your MAF nor should you touch any of it's internals parts with your hands or rags/cloth.

Simply spray the sensor out and let air dry.

Do not use compressed air on the sensor to dry it.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:56 PM

Ok will do. Thank you.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:11 PM

Also, do I need to take the throttle body completely off or can I clean it while it is still on the motor?

Old 08-17-2012, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by egroegart
Also, do I need to take the throttle body completely off or can I clean it while it is still on the motor?
Personally that's how I've done it on my other fly by wire GM vehicles.

It's hard or near impossible to clean the back side of the throttle ventury, and metering blade without removing it.

It's not all that good for your engine to ingest a ton of cleaner solvents that will pool up in your intake manifold either.

If you're not sure about tackling it a good way to keep track of how things go is to take pictures as you progress.

This will give you a photo referance of your steps and aid in reassembly.

The other is to get some tape and label your connections, though it's not that hard of a project and the TB harness plugs can only go one way.

Basic tools will get you there, and you should'nt have a whole lot of trouble even with minimun mechanical inclination.

Good luck!

Old 08-18-2012, 10:27 AM

Thank you. I'm going to tackle it today. I bought the MAF cleaner too.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:34 PM

Well I got it done. It was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. The throttle body was so dirty. Just caked with dirt and grime. No wonder it was running poorly. As soon as I started it up after cleaning it I could tell that fixed the problem. We drove it alot tonight and it runs like new again. The throttle is so responsive, I honestly do not remember it ever being like this. Thank you so much Smittro.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:54 PM

Glad to help..

You'll probably pick up a little bit of mpgs now.

Not enough to line pockets with money lol, but a little better.XD

Old 10-01-2012, 04:21 PM

Wow - so happy to find you guys and extremely happy to find this thread going on. My 2006 H3 does the exact same thing with the stalling only when I am turning and letting off the gas at the same time. I have had it in a couple repair shops and no one could figure it out. Does anyone on here know of a good shop besides a dealership here in South Florida that I can take my truck to for work to be done to it? I printed the instructions above to try and see if one of the guys I work with could handle it, but I would rather have a good shop I can take it to for oil changes, maintenance, etc. Thanks!!!!

Old 03-23-2013, 10:33 PM

That's about what our throttle body looked like a few weeks ago at 79k miles...we cleaned the MAF sensor and Throttle body, and she ran great for a while...then the rough idle got worse....to the point of her stalling out in park. We always got a misfire in Cyliner 1.....so we replaced the spark plugs twice (GM told me that the Bosch plugs might have caused a problem as ALL GM vehicles love AC Delco parts, so after about 5k miles on the Bosch plugs we switched them out) and we changed the coils....still stalling and showing issues in Cylinder 1.....now on to the ACTUAL problem.....we have to replace the fuel injectors. Hopefully THIS will actually stop the stalling. At least we started out the cheapest route and worked our way up....$30 an injector is gonna be a little pricey!

Quick Reply: H3 stalling