Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 dies while running/driving won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 11:02 AM
Default H3 dies while running/driving won't crank

Hey, I tried searching and no luck so hopefully someone on here has dealt with this issue:

Sitting and idling, the truck just randomly died, and then wouldn't crank when i tried to restart it.

I tried repeatedly and tried a jump box with no luck so disconnected the battery then came back the following morning to try again and it fired right up.

I drove it home, it restarted in the driveway right away, and then it restarted fine again a few hours later, but backing out of the driveway it died again and wouldn't crank again.

I've tried disconnecting the battery again with no luck, and swapped ignition switch with no luck.

Battery is 1 month old and verified the charge is good.

I'm at a loss... i pulled and switched around all the relays in the fuse box, so no bad relays and the connections looked good in them.

Only other symptom, which i am unsure if it's related, is i don't have power to the drivers door, window and door locks do not work, but the rest of the car does....

Any ideas???

Old 12-30-2016, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

It would be nice to know what H3 you have??????? Year and Model?

Aside from that, you still have the OEM Battery Terminal Connectors don't you?

Old 12-30-2016, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

I am talking about these hunks of crap. This is an early version of the 2006-07.

Search out the many threads on why they are the #1 cause of H3 electrical issues. Short summary, your PCM is extremely persnickety about voltage, even millivolt fluctuations cause big problems, hence your door and window lock circuit problem.

If you do not have a solid and continuous connection to the battery, you will experience no start issues, mimicking a dead battery. The engine does not typically die once started, but it is possible.

Simple & cheap way to rule out this known issue is to replace them with a quality aftermarket set like Stingers or your favorite brand.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:38 AM

it's an '07 and luxury package... automatic...

correct that i have the oem connectors, i've read about that as well, they just looked good so didn't seem likely to be the culprit. I'll look into replacing them asap.

Any other thoughts if that doesn't fix it since you say it's not likely to cause the dying while running?

Old 12-30-2016, 11:45 AM

Thanks btw!

Old 12-30-2016, 08:36 PM

i would start with making sure your battery terminals have been changed

Old 03-19-2020, 09:18 AM

Did you ever find out what the issue was? I am having the same issue.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Stacey Mitchell
Did you ever find out what the issue was? I am having the same issue.
Welcome to HF.

PLEASE STOP digging up old threads because you have a question, not how this place works. READ: Old Threads/'Necro-Bumping'

Now that you did dig up this thread, have you changed your OEM Battery Terminal Connectors to a quality aftermarket set? Let us know when you do in a NEW thread.