Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 Brush Guard

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 03:55 PM

I just put a brush guard on today, took me about half hour by myself. I'll get some pics up of it later. I mainly put it on for looks. Just another bolt on that makes the hummer look meaner

Old 10-13-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by skeptic
If you want protection from a deer, you really want a full replacement bumper like an ARB. A brush guard is just that, protection against small light brush type stuff. Bolted on in two locations and a somewhat long vertical run from the mounting point to the top it's going to have some flex. Heck, in some circumstances if you hit something low it may cause more damage than having nothing. An ARB is a solid metal replacement bumper with much shorter vertical bars, and all 4 bars are welded to the bumper.

I run a brush guard, mainly for brush, small tree limbs, etc. on the trail, but I admit partly just for looks. If deer, trees, rock ledges or another big things were my primary concern I wouldn't even consider a brush guard. Nearly useless for that IMHO.

I have looked into the ARB one but it is a bit pricey but i might just hold off and pick one up. I wonder if you can get one in flat black.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:50 AM

I need the real deal on a stainless steel...won't rust...grill guard. Any leads for me?

Bought a grill guard off Ebay from Truck Gear Direct Hunter in Texas in 2008. Suppossed to be stainless steel with black powder finish. First the nuts and bolts rusted. Wrote them and they replaced the hardware with stainless steel. Now 3 years later the guard itself is rusting out...big rust blisters that I can poke through with my finger. I won't buy from them again since their quality was not as expected.

eBay Feedback Profile for truckgeardirect

Truck Gear Direct

I just called at 11am today them and they state that they warrant their product for 5 years...but they won't warrant mine because they have new owners as of 2009. I guess it's "buyer beware".

Last edited by geeggee; 01-30-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:39 AM

For something that was purchased in 08 and is just now failing I would be pretty happy. But thats just me...i've never had a brush guard last more than 3 years and thats after several weld and patch hours but I off road mine alot and always come back with it bashed out of whack. (On my H2)

My H2 currently has the HD which replaced the old predator brush guard and I couldnt be happier with their products, never had one rust out. And I live in a salt laden area (atlantic ocean, and salted roads)

I just received the new brush guard for my wife's H3 (H3 Search & Rescue Brush Guard) and its as solid as I would expect.

I'm not a fan of shiny things so stainless steel would have to be powder coated for me to even consider it.

Point i'm getting at is that for corrosion and rust resistance dont discount the Predator product, its quite good

Old 01-30-2012, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by geeggee
I need the real deal on a stainless steel...won't rust...grill guard. Any leads for me?

Bought a grill guard off Ebay from Truck Gear Direct Hunter in Texas in 2008. Suppossed to be stainless steel with black powder finish. First the nuts and bolts rusted. Wrote them and they replaced the hardware with stainless steel. Now 3 years later the guard itself is rusting out...big rust blisters that I can poke through with my finger. I won't buy from them again since their quality was not as expected.

eBay Feedback Profile for truckgeardirect

Truck Gear Direct

I just called at 11am today them and they state that they warrant their product for 5 years...but they won't warrant mine because they have new owners as of 2009. I guess it's "buyer beware".
I want a brush guard in stainless steel that is black powder coated. It seems that all that's out there is polished s.s., or powder coated steel. I guess if you want the best of both worlds, you have to get a s.s. and powder coat it yourself.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:55 AM

I just ordered a Predator HD Brush guard for my H3. I can't wait for it to get here. I have never been happy wit the multiple peices of the others that you have to assemble. I can't afford a ARB so I put my money on a solid tough as nails one peice Predator. (plus it looks MEAN!!!)

Old 02-18-2013, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by skeptic
If you want protection from a deer, you really want a full replacement bumper like an ARB. A brush guard is just that, protection against small light brush type stuff. Bolted on in two locations and a somewhat long vertical run from the mounting point to the top it's going to have some flex. Heck, in some circumstances if you hit something low it may cause more damage than having nothing. An ARB is a solid metal replacement bumper with much shorter vertical bars, and all 4 bars are welded to the bumper.

I run a brush guard, mainly for brush, small tree limbs, etc. on the trail, but I admit partly just for looks. If deer, trees, rock ledges or another big things were my primary concern I wouldn't even consider a brush guard. Nearly useless for that IMHO.
^^^^^ This.

I have a factory GM Brush Guard, and it is only for minor protection and looks, We have lots and lots of Kangaroos around here, and I have hit plenty in my work vehicle fitted with an ARB Bull Bar, the worst was four in one day, but average about one a month usually, but already hit 4 this year and it's only February Note how one is called a bull bar and the other is a brush guard!

Kangaroos are usually hit at night, and I never drive my H3 at night, so the brush guard will do me. I have hit two small kangaroos in the H3 and they caused no damage at all, would hate to hit a big one though.

For deer get an ARB bar, I doubt the GM brush guard will do much, does look good though.

Here is my chrome GM one, bought on eBay and fitted at home in about ten minutes:

Name:  IMG_3449_zps4a9ed8cb.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  143.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2923_zps1bcd2b36.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  88.9 KB

Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Default Front drive binding

I have an 06 H3 and 50% of the time the front wheels are binding up and almost stop the truck. It only happens when turning sharp and the tires will skip like a posi-track. It does it in forward and reverse. Any ideas?

Old 02-21-2013, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Don Barnard
I have an 06 H3 and 50% of the time the front wheels are binding up and almost stop the truck. It only happens when turning sharp and the tires will skip like a posi-track. It does it in forward and reverse. Any ideas?
for ideas I would first try reading through the forum, then try the search function, then if you cannot find an answer post a new topic, not a reply to a complete different subject

Old 02-26-2013, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Don Barnard
some people really are special