Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 Brush Guard

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Default H3 Brush Guard

So I am thinking about which brush guard i want to get and i am wondering what everyone else thinks. I got my eye on the Predator HD any one have any experience with this one? Here is a link of it. Predator HD Brush Guard

I appreciate any info and experiences on this.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:17 PM

It's a very stout brush guard, but personally it leaves something to be desired... I think it leaves too much exposed... If your going for wow factor it is definitely in the top 5... But the realwheels over the hood is the cremedeladcreme, but that sucker is a couple grand...

Old 10-12-2011, 11:48 PM

If I needed a brushguard for an H3/H3T (don't need one because we have BA bumpers) I would opt for the Search & Rescue Brush Guard. But everone has their own opinions.

H3 Search & Rescue Brush Guard

Old 10-13-2011, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

I like both of the Predators, but I also have the BA Bumper so I don't need them.

I like pics.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:53 AM

The main reason I was looking at one is there are a lot of deer around my area and i have wrecked 2 cars from hitting them and i know the grill is plastic and breakable and a brush guard will save me the hassle of getting it fixed I hope.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:10 AM

I'm a fan of the OEM - still pretty solid, IMO. I liked the 'old' version of the predator guard which was actually from a company called SMA that went kaput awhile ago (06/07ish) - but to design the new ones they had a fab guy look at the old one and try to duplicate - and it never seemed to fit exactly the same. Here is old (left) vs new - currently available one (right).

Attached Thumbnails H3 Brush Guard-brushguardcomparo.jpg  
Old 10-13-2011, 08:13 AM

My wife and I live in rural Michigan. She hit a deer with our 1st H3 (with the GM brush guard). It destroyed the upper and lower grilles and all the parts behind the grilles. I'd say the brush guard kept the deer out of the radiator, but everything in front of the radiator had to be replaced.

Even better story with our 2nd H3 (also with a GM guard). Following a vehicle at about 55mph and a 2' x 2' piece of plywood flew up from under the car in front of us. It hit the brush guard (scuff marks were evident) and flew over our H3. We had to replace the lower grille insert, but nothing else. I'd say the guard prevented much more damage from occurring.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:34 AM

OEM H2 brush guard (chrome, no less) + 60 mph + 6 point = dead deer/not a scratch.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by mgoblue85
My wife and I live in rural Michigan. She hit a deer with our 1st H3 (with the GM brush guard). It destroyed the upper and lower grilles and all the parts behind the grilles. I'd say the brush guard kept the deer out of the radiator, but everything in front of the radiator had to be replaced.

Even better story with our 2nd H3 (also with a GM guard). Following a vehicle at about 55mph and a 2' x 2' piece of plywood flew up from under the car in front of us. It hit the brush guard (scuff marks were evident) and flew over our H3. We had to replace the lower grille insert, but nothing else. I'd say the guard prevented much more damage from occurring.
I think it's fair to say that deer placement and speed are probably more important than guard girth and how many vertical cross-members there are...

Old 10-13-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Wrath
The main reason I was looking at one is there are a lot of deer around my area and i have wrecked 2 cars from hitting them and i know the grill is plastic and breakable and a brush guard will save me the hassle of getting it fixed I hope.
If you want protection from a deer, you really want a full replacement bumper like an ARB. A brush guard is just that, protection against small light brush type stuff. Bolted on in two locations and a somewhat long vertical run from the mounting point to the top it's going to have some flex. Heck, in some circumstances if you hit something low it may cause more damage than having nothing. An ARB is a solid metal replacement bumper with much shorter vertical bars, and all 4 bars are welded to the bumper.

I run a brush guard, mainly for brush, small tree limbs, etc. on the trail, but I admit partly just for looks. If deer, trees, rock ledges or another big things were my primary concern I wouldn't even consider a brush guard. Nearly useless for that IMHO.

Quick Reply: H3 Brush Guard