PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 alpha vs jeep wranglers off road

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 07:42 PM
Default H3 alpha vs jeep wranglers off road

Hi guys i am brand new to this website i just bought a 2008 h3 alpha hummer and i wanted you're opinions on how they are off road compared to jeeps because from what i have seen the h3 is amazing off road and the v8 version is almost unstoppable but i was curious if any of you have owned a jeep and a hummer and which one you feel was better off road because my friends all have jeeps and i wanted to be diffferent and have something that you don't see a trillion of but they all say my h3 sucks off road and i have not tried it off road yet but i really just wanted some reassurance from you guys.

Thank you

Old 04-30-2014, 07:54 PM

Depends on the Wrangler and the trail. In general I'd put it as: Rubicon > H3 > all other Jeeps. Even then, the H3 is better than a Rubicon in some areas. SFA with sway bar disconnects at the touch of a button can help a lot, but so can running 35" tires on an otherwise stock H3. Once you get into lifts and other mods all bets are off.

Full disclosure - I've never owned a Wrangler Rubicon, but I have owned and wheeled Wranglers, Cherokees, and a Grand Cherokee. I've also owned and wheeled an H3 and H3T.

edit: You didn't mention whether or not you have the offroad package (lockers). This can make a big difference depending on the trail, but even if you don't you can still do quite well once you learn to let the traction control help. When a wheel starts spinning, let it continue to spin (DON'T floor it), and traction control will start to pulse the brakes to act like limited slip.

Last edited by skeptic; 04-30-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by skeptic
Depends on the Wrangler and the trail. In general I'd put it as: Rubicon > H3 > all other Jeeps. Even then, the H3 is better than a Rubicon in some areas. SFA with sway bar disconnects at the touch of a button can help a lot, but so can running 35" tires on an otherwise stock H3. Once you get into lifts and other mods all bets are off.

Full disclosure - I've never owned a Wrangler Rubicon, but I have owned and wheeled Wranglers, Cherokees, and a Grand Cherokee. I've also owned and wheeled an H3 and H3T.

edit: You didn't mention whether or not you have the offroad package (lockers). This can make a big difference depending on the trail, but even if you don't you can still do quite well once you learn to let the traction control help. When a wheel starts spinning, let it continue to spin (DON'T floor it), and traction control will start to pulse the brakes to act like limited slip.
Thank you skeptic for you're answer and i just wanted to say i did get the off road package like you were talking about and its funny you mention the 35s because i planned on putting on 35s and a lift in three or four months And i was always planning on lifting it and putting 35s on it before i even got the truck. So thank you so much for the reply

Old 04-30-2014, 08:46 PM

Just in case you didn't know, you can fit 35s completely stock.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:10 AM

I've owned both.
Jeep...
pros: It is utilitarian, awesome in snow, unstoppable in almost all winter weather and easily built.
Cons: It's quality control is horrible, gas mileage is bad, it's noisy, to light and short to tow etc.

I've been toying with buying another wrangler again.
H3 is great but Jeep is fun too.
Chris

Old 05-01-2014, 12:11 AM

The H3 is paid off so I'll keep both.

Chris

Old 05-01-2014, 02:07 AM

I'd like to ask the question in a different way:

H3 (non alpha) with 35's and a torsion bar crank to 23.5, compared to the following:

1. Wrangket JK unlimited 2008-2010 (not the new penstar engine), with 35's and a 3 inch lift.
2. Rubicon, same 3.8 engine on 35's and a 3 inch lift.

Which has better offroad capabilities? Other pro's and con's?
If we add to the equasion a toyota FJ cruiser on 35's with a 3 inch lift?

Thank you

Old 05-01-2014, 05:44 AM

Sorry can't opinion. Only owned tj model. 06 wrangler.
Chris

Old 05-01-2014, 11:39 AM

I own both an 07 H3 Adventure I5 and an 09 Wrangler Unlimited X. For average offroad use you won't see a whole lot of difference in capacity. The H3 may have a slight edge due to the rear locker. If you are talking about hardcore rock crawling then my guess is that the Rubi would have a significant edge with its sway bar disconnect, front and back lockers, solid axles, etc.

For me, if the point of a trip is offroading I'll take the Wrangler. More fun with the top down/off, doors off, tube doors on, etc. If I am taking a road trip with an offroad drive to get somewhere I'll take the H3 every time. Quieter (much) on the road, better road manners, more comfortable. But I like both of them.

Jeepers like to diss Hummers because so many are mall crawlers but I suspect most 4 door Wranglers will never see so much as a gravel road - and that includes a lot of Jeeps with big tars & lifts.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

We wheel in MI with Jeeps all the time, we do all the same trails and obstacles. Your buddys never wheeled with an H3 so they are clueless. Oh yeah, we've seen the heep naysayers, but once they follow you around for a while, they will tell you they are impressed.

You need TIRES, if you try to wheel with them on street treads, you will eventually look funny and often. A stock off road H3 can do quite a bit, more than you know right now. I have wheeled with a novice guy or two with the H3 Alpha off road, do NOT think the answer to traction is the skinny pedal or you will be breaking stuff fast and tire spin is dangerous. I doubt the guy behind you wants a rock through the windshield. An I5 with the same off road package will go everywhere you can.

Lifts are not the answer either. My humble advice, get some tires, UCP, rock rails and learn to wheel it, then think about your lift.

Quick Reply: H3 alpha vs jeep wranglers off road