Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 advice and help on Transfer case issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 12:28 PM
Default H3 advice and help on Transfer case issue

Hello,

I'm looking for advice on trouble shooting what I believe is a bad transfer case on my 2006 H3 with adventure package. I've searched "transfer case" on this forum and read some helpful info but looking for more. Here is my current condition with the truck. It has 173K miles. Heard a growl from the front end. Thought it was a front hub or front drive shaft (already had a front drive shaft go out). Decide to take off the front drive shaft for possible replacement. Unlike before when I replaced the front drive shaft, the truck will not move. Heard a grinding noise, almost like plastic grinding sound when I put it in drive. Put the front drive shaft back on and it moves. Basically front wheel drive now. When the drive shaft was off, I checked both yokes on the front dif and case and they seem fine.

I assume its the case. Been reading about plastic forks, control modules and motors. I have changed transfer cases before but on late model pickups (the much easier 205 indestructible cases). I am a bit unsure on the electronics of this case.

Any added trouble shooting info and the best place to purchase a replacement case or rebuild would be greatly appreciated. I don't have the greatest confidence in our local transmission shop.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:18 PM

When in 4hi unlock an H3 if either drive is disconnected it will not move. The Tcase will send ALL of the power to the disconnected output.

You need to either be in 4 HI lock before removing the shaft or turn the key forward enough to light up the 4x4 controls and not be started and shift to 4hi lock.

Try this and report back.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:17 AM

Good call Tainter. I took your advice so the good news is the transfer case is working. So I put the shaft back on and drove it around and the case seems to be engaging in all modes. The sound has even went away? I do hear a faint rattle sound so again I'm back to thinking it may be the front shaft again. But it isn't nearly as loud as before I removed the shaft.

So now my question is this. I've been reading on the front shaft design and that CV joint up by the transfer case yoke isn't an ideal design. This is my second shaft. When I grab the front shaft, there is a bit of play up by that joint. No play down by the U joint at the front dif. Could that shaft have been miss aligned before causing it to make more noise? Is it supposed to have play in the CV joint?

I seen a few posting of a modified shaft with a spline and a cardan joint. If I need a replacement shaft again, who out there can I purchase one from?

Thanks again for your help.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:49 AM
Old 12-23-2016, 11:48 AM
Question

Originally Posted by TAINTER
When in 4hi unlock an H3 if either drive is disconnected it will not move. The Tcase will send ALL of the power to the disconnected output.

You need to either be in 4 HI lock before removing the shaft or turn the key forward enough to light up the 4x4 controls and not be started and shift to 4hi lock.

Try this and report back.
Tainted, so I did reinstall the drive shaft and drove it with a small rattle. so again I feel it was the drive shaft so I put it in 4hi lock and removed the shaft. still not power to the rear??? But with the shaft on, it does put power to the rear in all mods? any thoughts? the shaft does have some play and the rubber boot is torn. I can hear the shaft rattle when driving and it gets worse (louder) as I put miles on it. still confused why I can't get it in rear wheel drive in 4hi lock.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:09 PM

im thinking the tc should shift to any/all modes if it was laying on the ground. it has no way of knowing if the driveshafts are connected?

Old 12-23-2016, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by happythree
im thinking the tc should shift to any/all modes if it was laying on the ground. it has no way of knowing if the driveshafts are connected?
You would think incorrectly. Experience trumps thinking almost every time. Might I suggest trying to disconnect either of your drive shafts in 4hi unlocked and experience it for yourself?