Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Grinding Growling when coming into a complete stop

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Default Grinding Growling when coming into a complete stop

I know i am not the only one on this. But i got my rotors and pads done a year ago and i still hear this noise when coming to complete stop. My pads are not worn down cuase i dont hear metal to metal nor do i have any grooves on the rotor. What is it?? its driving me nuts!!!!!!! Last time i brought it to dealer they resurfaced my back rotors saying that may be the problem. i still kinda heard it but ignored it. The other day driving downhill and coming to complete stop i heard the growling Grinding noise louder than usual. Has anybody experieced this yet on the H3. I am about to go buy new rotors and pads again. and i rarley ever use my e brake. does anyone know a solution to this? Or has experienced this?

Old 05-25-2011, 12:46 PM

I had the same experience, grinding when heavy braking. I took it to the dealership and they turned/resurfaced the rotors...still happened. On the second visit a different tech, who I always use now, said the rear r. brake pad looked glazed...replaced rear pads, problem solved.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by airborne227
I had the same experience, grinding when heavy braking. I took it to the dealership and they turned/resurfaced the rotors...still happened. On the second visit a different tech, who I always use now, said the rear r. brake pad looked glazed...replaced rear pads, problem solved.
Do you know if they used ceramic pads or semi metal?

Old 05-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Here is the TSB re: the rear brakes.

Brakes Grunt, Groan, in Rear
Subject: Brakes Grunt, Groan, Grinding Noise from Rear When Vehicle Comes to a Stop (Refinish Rear Rotors) #07-05-23-004 - (09/26/2007)
Models: 2006-2008 HUMMER H3
Condition
Some customers may comment on a grunt, groan or grinding noise coming from the rear of the vehicle when coming to a stop.
Cause
Rotor corrosion generates a slip-stick condition transferring vibration through the suspension.
REPLACE THE ROTORS ONLY IF THE ROTOR THICKNESS IS BELOW THE MINIMUM THICKNESS SPEC AFTER REFINISH.
Correction
Refinish the rear rotors by removing 0.4 mm from both rear rotor surfaces.
Do not replace the brake pads unless the condition requires it (i.e. excessively worn, damaged, or contaminated).
If the noise persists, a brake dampening compound may be applied to the back of each pad. This allows parts to slide freely and not vibrate when moving relative to each other.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 05-25-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:10 AM

My H3 is at the dealer right now for this same issue. It's the third time it's been in. This service advisor told me it was "inherent to the vehicle." I looked up the TSB and asked about it. He said we can keep cutting rotors, but it will still happen. This would be the third cut on this set of rotors. I asked that they be replaced.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:28 PM

Did they try putting a small bevel on the leading edges of the pad?

Old 05-27-2011, 07:31 PM

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE! Great post! Bought mine used and didnt have the noise shortly after it began when I have to make hard stops while descending a steep hill. The calipers and pads on the rear look new (shiny silver color is the evidence) and the rotors look fine. I bleed the brakes thinking that was the problem to no avail. Looks like I will be slapping some "ceramic" pads on the rear? Thanks again for this great post!!!! One less quirk for me to figure out on this H3, love it to death and plan to keep it till then. 2006 57k miles and going strong!

Old 05-31-2011, 12:48 PM

I as well have had this issue since the day i bought my 2006 hummer H3 (July 2009). The vehicle was only at 30k miles, now only at 45k miles and it groans heavily when i come to a slightly fast stop or braking on a hill. All of my brake pads still have decent thickness to them.. never could figure out what was wrong. looks like ill try resurfacing the rotors and purchasing ceramic pads for the rear!

Old 06-01-2011, 09:08 AM

I think its time we need to upgrade our braking system cause the stock ones are not doing it for us. I was looking online at EBC rotors and brakes. very expensive but looks like they help alot according to the manufactures website for heavy Suv's .. Has anyone upgraded there brakeing system yet?

The growling is starting to sound more like a vibration.

Ive been having so many problems with my Hummer the tranny went got mine rebuilt, the odometer fried and read 99k when its really 64k now the braking system sucks. I love my hummer but its giving me all these problems!...

Old 06-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Default Questoins about tire size for H3

hey guys..i can get a brand new set of 38's real cheap from a buddy....wonderin if i put a 4" lift on my H3 will that be enough?

Quick Reply: Grinding Growling when coming into a complete stop