Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Gpcalero's Spartan Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:46 PM
rsc

I bought mine to take offroad and drive, not sit in the garage and appreciate. If I WERE trying to realize a future profit off of it I would have it parked under a cover. I agree that in 20 years it might be expensive and lusted after, but I don't have any cars that just accumulate dust. In the meantime, unless you feel you can afford to have stuff like that squirrelled away, just drive it.

I don't care if the guy modified his H3 with longhorns on the grill, its his to modify as he sees fit. If you don't like it just keep moving along. Maybe I don't like stock trucks or white ones or LT 265/75/16's or I think every vehicle should have back-up horns. Whatever...to each their own.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:28 PM

I don't expect to increase the value of my vehicles one cent when doing mods, but this guy decreased the value. He wants $25,500? He'll be lucky to get $15,500. Plasticoating chrome wheels? Come on! How half *** is that. You want black rims, go buy them. Oh, "if you don't like the plasticoat, you can peel it off". Haha. Sounds like real durable stuff. Wonder if he ever heard of powdercoating? If you're going to do it, do it right! And this is called the internet. If he puts it out there for the world to see, other people do have the right to give their opinions on it. Sorry. I think he's just a spoiled kid that would have been better off with a Civic, so he could post all those "cool" mods on another forum.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz
I agree, keep original as possible..

Only 5 years in production, the H3 will be collectible! Think about it, collectibles bring more money, the closer they are to original.

The original Shelby mustang GT 350 & GT 500, were in production for 5 years also! Try finding an original GT500 or GT350 from 1965-1970, in mint original condition, for less than $100,000.00. Just think, you could have bought them new, for around $5,000.00
Look at the sticker price of the H3, and think of what it will be worth, in original condition, in the same time frame as the original GT 500..

while I would love to see a H3 be valued down the road it will take longer than our life time to do so. Yeah they were produced the same amount of years as a Shelby, but how many million Shelby's were produced? Modern cars will take at least a hundred years to start gaining value, and probably even longer to value higher than original purchase price, Cars have to be a very limited production and exclusive in modern times to be worth anything, there are just way to many produced and they are produced thousands of times more durable today. By the principle of them only ring produced for a few years then the Pontiac Aztec will be worth a lot. Cars from the 80s on will never see a return like cars of the early 70s and older they are just way mass produced and while there are very limited runs of "special edition" cars, they are produced, sold, and bought with that in mind thus rendering them a lower return on investment than would have been if they were silently produced special and not marketed that way. Same thing with the beanie babies years ago, they were going to be te next big money collectible, but so many people bought them with that in mind it in turn devalued there collectibility.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:45 PM

I disagree. Not entirely but.... Let's look at, lets say a 1979 Trans-Am/Z-28. A crap load of them were produced. Everyone new someone that had one. They were roughly $6000 brand new. A nice one in original shape, is fetching between $20,000 - $30,000. What happens is, the people who were in their teens when that car was "the car too have", they get married, have families, send their kids to college. Then comes the day when they can finally afford to by a toy for themselves, and they want the car that they always loved when they were young. It doesn't happen with all cars/trucks. But I can see it happening with every model in the Hummer lineup. What teen or early twenties guy doesn't think that way about a Hummer? Just throwing something out there to think about. Will I keep mine in a air tight bubble and wait for a return on my investment? NO. I'm driving it. Cars should never be looked at as an investment. But 30 years from now, guaranteed, people are going to pay for a nice one!

Old 01-28-2014, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by stinger95
I don't expect to increase the value of my vehicles one cent when doing mods, but this guy decreased the value. He wants $25,500? He'll be lucky to get $15,500. Plasticoating chrome wheels? Come on! How half *** is that. You want black rims, go buy them. Oh, "if you don't like the plasticoat, you can peel it off". Haha. Sounds like real durable stuff. Wonder if he ever heard of powdercoating? If you're going to do it, do it right! And this is called the internet. If he puts it out there for the world to see, other people do have the right to give their opinions on it. Sorry. I think he's just a spoiled kid that would have been better off with a Civic, so he could post all those "cool" mods on another forum.
Stinger, I'm not sure why you are so upset that I modified my Hummer. Or why you should care enough to post about it. Like everybody else said, I did what I did because every modification was thought out and had a purpose in the image of what I wanted my H3 to be. It was MY vehicle, as crazy as that sounds...so it was my call.

And the reason I plastidipped my wheels was simple. It was cost effective, and I was, and still am a student at my university. I didn't have a "mommy and daddy" hand over money to make it my dream H3 either. You only can work so many hours and get paid so much while being a student. New wheels were on the list, but not before I saved enough money to pay for classes. So we can shut down that down now.

Didn't seem like decreased value to me.

I had so many other plans for it. I had originally put the H3 up for sale so I could buy an '09 Alpha T, with the locking diffs & leather seats. I had found a great deal on a used one and wanted to act on it before some of you sharks found it and gobbled it up first. Because I know there's a few of you who kept an eye out for those rare puppies. Anyway, I wanted to go rancho and 37's on the T, that was my dream. I had always liked the H3 truck better.

But life got in the way, I rode in a buddy's '07 Z06 Vette and I couldn't decide what I wanted anymore. Lifted and could go anywhere or low and fast? Eventually one of my friends was in some financial troubles and I scored my new ride. He gave it to me for what he owed to Ford. Then, I got lucky and somebody made an offer for Lil Sparta and I took it. They liked everything I had done to her, not a single complaint. And believe it or not, it was a woman and she made me a good offer, so I took the 24k and went back to my friend to buy the Ford.

I don't regret anything.

Name:  d4d882b4-21c9-41ca-8f40-78407bc17498_zps2a7f5460.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  151.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2681_zpsb1f7b1ad.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  154.6 KB

Old 01-29-2014, 07:38 AM

Well I have to say, the money you put in definitely paid off in the end if you got that much. Plus I think you might have shut stinger95 up pretty good. I was in college when I got mine (with my own money) and started making a lot of upgrades slowly, as work money came in so I understand that struggle. Sorry to see that nice H3 go though but that mustang is not a bad trade off at all.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:50 PM

Sorry. Didn't shut me up.

"And the reason I plastidipped my wheels was simple. It was cost effective"

1. Doesn't change the fact that it was half as.. Maybe instead of spending the money on your "cool" headlights, you could have bought 5 new black rims. Yes I said 5. Noticed you only bought 4 tires. What about the spare? Curious to see how your drivetrain reacts with your stock spare on there in conjunction with your new tires when you get a flat. Again, half as..!

"made me a good offer, so I took the 24k and went back to my friend to buy the Ford."

2. I'm going to just come right out and say it, You're a LIAR. Looks like every other '09 Hummer H3 for sale in Florida is going for $17,000 or so. Maybe $18,000. And that's asking price from dealers, mind you. So you want us to believe that all those cool mods you did justified a $6K to $7k premium over a stock '09 H3. If that's the case, you should go into used car sales. Do you really think people are that stupid. Again, LIAR!

Old 01-29-2014, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by stinger95
Sorry. Didn't shut me up.

"And the reason I plastidipped my wheels was simple. It was cost effective"

1. Doesn't change the fact that it was half as.. Maybe instead of spending the money on your "cool" headlights, you could have bought 5 new black rims. Yes I said 5. Noticed you only bought 4 tires. What about the spare? Curious to see how your drivetrain reacts with your stock spare on there in conjunction with your new tires when you get a flat. Again, half as..!

"made me a good offer, so I took the 24k and went back to my friend to buy the Ford."

2. I'm going to just come right out and say it, You're a LIAR. Looks like every other '09 Hummer H3 for sale in Florida is going for $17,000 or so. Maybe $18,000. And that's asking price from dealers, mind you. So you want us to believe that all those cool mods you did justified a $6K to $7k premium over a stock '09 H3. If that's the case, you should go into used car sales. Do you really think people are that stupid. Again, LIAR!
Sorry dude, still not sure why you are upset. You're not getting anywhere.

My spare wheel never matched the others. So, if I had purchased a new tire then I'd have to remove the tire cover because it wouldn't of had fit. It would look ugly...until I got new matching wheels then (including the spare), I didn't see a reason for a 5th tire. I would have never have put the spare on if anything had happened.

I'd just like to point out that there ARE people out there WILLING to pay, you just have to find them, and be lucky too. In my case (albeit rare), my "cool mods" increased value.

I'm by no means a liar. I still have the deposit slip in the Ford. People will pay for what they like.

Name:  IMG_1303_zpsd703535c.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  73.9 KB

I've had an awesome time here on the forum guys, thanks for all the tips, advice and awesome ideas! Special thanks to OldYeller and Wfturner for all your help and time!
You can find me and my new build on the Svtperformance forums now, same username.

Mods please lock this thread.

-Paul

Old 01-29-2014, 11:18 PM

I'm not sure how plastidip is half assed, it's become a very popular mod in most auto forums. I guess getting your windows tinted is half assed too? It's just a film put over the window, I'm sure if you wanted your front windows tinted you'd go get custom cut tinted glass and have it installed?

I have my wheels plastidipped as well, I love the factory wheels because it is difficult to find aftermarket that have the correct backspacing that are god awful looking or 4000 bucks, so I did it to my wheels. When I ever go to get rid of my H3 there is a chance that whoever buys it will not like black rims, so guess what it can be peeled off.

I don't understand how you complain that someone modded their rig and ruined it, but yet something that can be very easily undone is also a horrible thing?

As for Gpcalero (paul) I, along with many others, loved seeing, following, and reading about your build. You and your H3 will be missed on here, hopefully the woman that bought it finds her way here. The new car looks great, I used to have a limited edition mustand bullitt and got rid of it and have missed it since, and my dad has an 02 SVT Lightning with 12k miles on it that is a little built and a blast to drive, so I understand the switch to muscle. Good luck in your endeavors, check back in from time to time and let us know how the cobra build is going.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:08 AM

So you have a receipt that shows you deposited $24,000 for your Mustang. Big deal. The $16,000 you got for the truck and $8,000 from daddy. There is no possible way anyone bought that thing for $24k. But I hope this imaginary woman who supposedly paid that much finds her way here so she can tell us the truth. And what a stupid *** remark, "I would have never put on the spare if something happened". I can here it now, "Bro, I think we have a flat. I'll change it for ya man. I love playin with your lil sparto (wink wink)". "No bro, we can't use my spare. It's just for show". WTF is a spare for? Really? Plasticdipping wheels. I thought I've heard it all. Some of you are idiots. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Quick Reply: Gpcalero's Spartan Build