Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 03:49 PM

ntn ez about the rear. search/read about it. the rear window trim comes loose, hard to handle tubing when replacing.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:52 PM

So, after experiencing some leaking, I sprayed compressed air down the tubes... this seemed to work for a while.

Given that it's winter in Seattle, we've seen a fair amount of rain and I could hear water moving around above my head... so I knew the problem was back. I did the drain tube mod today for the front tubes... but about those rear tubes.

Are they typically problematic? Has anybody experienced leaking AFTER doing the drain tube mod? Is there a DIY for those?

I spent way more time than I should have fighting to get the driver's side grommet back in. Turns out it was easier for me to put the grommet in and THEN plug the tube into it rather than do it while it was all attached. I almost tore apart the entire cabin trying to get the damn thing, then ended up just cramming my arm up from the floor.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:02 AM

to test, pour a cup of water on the 4 corners with the roof open. it should drain out by the tires. park up/down hill etc.
back are hard to get to. try the water.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:31 PM

I was getting drenched every rainstorm and found this to be a great, fairly simple fix.

I couldn't figure out how to remove the driver's side trim panel, but was able to do that side by simply removing the pillar trim panel & then laying on the floorboard to work with the tube & plug. If anybody has instructions for removing the driver's trim panel, that would probably be of use to somebody in the future.

My tubes were really clogged and I also had to spend a bit of time snaking them with a .095 weed trimmer line. I had to work from both the top and the bottom, but with a little effort, they finally cleared.

We just had a very rainy weekend and I had no problems with water after the fix.

I still need to run some wheel cleaner through the lines to get out any residual debris and will probably do that every six months or so just as a preventative measure.

Thanks for the thread, very useful info!

Old 03-17-2014, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sushi Boy
I couldn't figure out how to remove the driver's side trim panel, but was able to do that side by simply removing the pillar trim panel & then laying on the floorboard to work with the tube & plug. If anybody has instructions for removing the driver's trim panel, that would probably be of use to somebody in the future.

My tubes were really clogged and I also had to spend a bit of time snaking them with a .095 weed trimmer line. I had to work from both the top and the bottom, but with a little effort, they finally cleared.

We just had a very rainy weekend and I had no problems with water after the fix.

I still need to run some wheel cleaner through the lines to get out any residual debris and will probably do that every six months or so just as a preventative measure.

Thanks for the thread, very useful info!
I only had to remove the passenger side, side dash panel to access the tube (just pull it outward, held in with clips). The drivers side, I just reached up under the dash to remove. Worked for me, has been over a year and been through alot of rain/melting snow/car washes, still no leak inside!.. The key to prevent any further blockage: cut the X out!

Last edited by hummerz; 03-17-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:18 PM

Arrrrgh.... The leaking roof happened to me today....water out of the on star mic, carpets saturated, seats wet..... Satans trifecta
I ran out and bought the weed whacker cord .095 and tried to snake on the passenger side and it went in about 4 feet and stopped. I did the same on the driver side and it when about 6 feet. I was hoping I would see the yellow cord somewhere by the front wheel but no dice. It was dark and I didn't want to start dealing with tearing apart the car.
Question, is the plug that goes into the firewall a pain to pull out/put back it? Are there any gotcha's with that?
Also, if you clear the front tubes, do the back ones (if clogged) need to be worried about or will the water eventually run forward out the front ones ?

Last edited by atari800; 03-17-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by atari800
Question, is the plug that goes into the firewall a pain to pull out/put back it? Are there any gotcha's with that?
When I did mine, I dropped the passenger side grommet trying to put it back in. Its still in there somewhere. I had to go through a dealership and order a whole new drain assembly (only $15) with all the hoses just to get a new grommet. With the second one I had learned my lesson; I tied a slipknot around it with some fishing line, so that when I dropped this one (which I did, its tight in there!) I could just pull it back out. After I got it in, slipped the fishing line off and reattached the drain hose.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:05 AM

Thanks CurtisP87... That makes sense and will make a safety harness too.
I got most of the water out but it is still damp in there so I got a couple fo DampRid containers and placed them in the H3
Amazon.com - DampRid FG01FS Moisture Absorber, Fresh Scent, 10.5-Ounce - Damp Rid Amazon.com - DampRid FG01FS Moisture Absorber, Fresh Scent, 10.5-Ounce - Damp Rid

I figure with the windows shut and the moon roof closed but slider open on an 80+ Florida day (Wed - Fri) this should take care of the remaining moisture

I have to use my stand by Jeep Liberty 07 for the time being....It feels like I am driving a go cart

This weekend I will get to work on pulling the grommits

edit: couldnt wait - I worked from home today
Damprid bucket was partially full and carpets feel dry

I filler the reservoir with a big cup of water and have been jamming the weed hacker cord down both tubes and I can see it dripping out the front
The reservoir still held a lot of water and was probably evaporating faster than it was dripping out
I ran upto Lowes and got a Shop Vac Micro Cleaning kit
http://www.lowes.com/pd_36979-20097-...1084993&rpp=32
and emptied reservoir and blew and sucked (ahhh huhuhuhuhuh ahhh huhuhuh) the line

I climbed under the driver side and at first could not see the hose - BTW I am a big guy but this is not too difficult
Then I found it - the cord was not going to go down any further as the hose was like an S as it lead into the grommet
I pulled out the grommet which as quite easy - I thought it was going to be like a cork
The little X or + in the center of the grommet was like mud. I didnt have a 3/4 inch drill but I had some sharp scissors
I opened them up like a V and put the gromemr unto one of the blades and spun it
It cleared the opening completely
I blew and sucked (ahhh huhuhuhuhuh ahhh huhuhuh) the line with the shop vac and could see some debris on the carpet

Climed back under and reconnected hose to grommet and pushed grommet into the firewall.
*Note: Poke your finger around the inside of the grommet to push it in the firewall, I felt it kind of POP back in

Now I poured water in the drivers side of the moon roof and as fast as fell out of the cup, it was hitting the driveway

TOTAL TIME for drivers side: About 5 minutes

Next is the passenger side, I have to find those instructions as my side panel looks to be tucked under the dash

Last edited by atari800; 03-19-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:37 PM

The passenger side is a lot easier, no laying down on the floorboard required.

The passenger side panel in my '06 is held in place by the same kind of plastic rivets that hold the wheel well in place. A couple of flat-blade screwdrivers will pop those out in no time.

Good luck! It's a big relief when the water stays outside like it should.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:29 PM

Passenger side: About an hour
This one is a b!tch...
popped off side panel
The tube access requires I reach UP and over
I pulled out grommet and it was gunked up too
I removed the X by putting it on 1 blade of the scissors and spinning it
I blew out the line
Now the grommet is really difficult with my hands to get in there so as to not lose it, I took a 10 foot piece of pylon thread and ran it through it. Now if I drop it by accident, I can "fish it out"
This one did NOT pop in like the other although my fingers feel that it is snug against firewall
*this is the part I redid about a thousand times because I have no visual nor does it feel "right"
**I put my hand back around the grommet and there was no wetness so I think I am good

Well I dump a glass of water in and it poured out fast

Thanks for this post and thank you to everyone here

Quick Reply: Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes