Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Shauna Powell
Did you have to remove the entire instrument panel to reattach the drain tube to the firewall? My H32008 is currently at the dealership for this stinkn problem and they just found the tube off the firewall said more labor to reconnect....$$$$ is that necessary?
NO !!!
On the drivers side you can reach up and snap that fitting into the fire wall without removing anything.
On the passanger's side you need to remove just the end cap of the dash and fold down the glove compartment. Behind that end cap there is a hole to reach thru to get ahold of the fitting to snap it back in.

I could do it in about 10 minutes, taking my time, but then again I know what I'm doing,. Sounds like your dealeship doesn't.

Last edited by Bunger; 08-28-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Default george-d

Please...Please people. read the post and follow the instructions. I know from experience that this is a $300 + body control module that will be fried. after the labor and having the reprogramming done, you can take a guess how much the final bill will be. everybody knows the horror stories of dealer work and fly by night mechanics. I was lucky and didn't get ripped. thanks to a good friend who owns the repair shop. now I am paranoid until I get the tubes fixed. found some water on the floor after it rained and damn near went into cardiac arrest. I cannot express enough gratitude for the people who take the time to help us out here. god bless the Hummer owners.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:02 AM

we had a 4 hr rain yesterday and when it cleared I opened the roof and pushed a paper towel in the front corners with a small stick. It barely got damp, maybe from sweat on the metal.
my silicon grease treatment seems to work.
keep the metal and rubber clean and greased

Old 09-03-2013, 07:36 PM

Finally cut the X's out of my drain tubes after lots of procrastination. Hopefully my water problems are now behind me. Thanks to all who posted here!

Old 09-04-2013, 08:07 AM

OK call me lazy or whatever.
I have a 2008 Alpha that has never had a sun roof drain tube problem. After looking at all of the posts, I started to wonder when mine was going to have issues. Not really wanting to disassemble something I didn't really know if I had to, I tried something else. I cleaned my shop vac just to be sure and then covered the drain holes located in the sun roof opening with my vac nozzle. Let it suck for about a minute on each side and checked the canister for debris. And yes....I discovered a few a few leaf particles....arrgghh!!!! Anyway, I think I'm good for a couple of more years. Will keep you updated when the flood hits.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:15 AM

Just did this myself and that passenger side was a bear. I had an idea after completing this procedure though. Has anyone thought about putting some sort of screen over the sunroof inlet holes? I was thinking something like drywall mesh tape or ???? that would only allow water through. For those that have tested and DON'T have a problem but know they still have the X something like this would be a great idea I'd think. Even post fix to keep out anything larger..

Old 09-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Default screen wire

you could roll up a small piece of window screen, good idea!
first preventative measure ive heard, ill try it.

btw,a strong vacume may pull the end back inside the tubing. id test it after to be sure.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:11 PM

Thank You So Much for that post!!!!! It was driving me crazy and My wife was ready to trade me in on that one!

Old 11-10-2013, 07:13 PM

The "Fix for a Clogged sun roof drain" by Broken Halo

Old 11-22-2013, 02:28 PM

what is the easy way to clear the rear drains

Quick Reply: Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes