Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 03:45 PM

Hi, I just finished my repair on my 2006 H3., and I have a few suggestions: 1) start on the passengers side, it was easy and I was able to complete the process within 1/2 an hour. 2) try using a rat-tail file to remove the rubber inside the rubber fitting.
3) I had a difficult time replacing the fitting onto the firewall. By removing the top three bolts holding down the dash, I was able to line up the fitting with the hole and secure it properly in place. It was a pain in the ***, but its done !!!

Old 08-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Default how do they get so dirty!

I guess ive been thinking about this for years as I read the unending questions and comments. I open the top window only when im moving,often just the tilt up to vent air out. on a nice day I open fully if the sun is not in my face. when I park I close up.

so when do you guys get full of crud? if its open in dusty areas or there is debris in the air the cab would be a real mess b4 the drains got enuf to clog.
so I don't see the bottom line reason for the clogging!

is your truck really dirty inside from running open during offroading?
do you run open in dusty offroading?

im usually on grass or weeds but never open up offroad. I see bunches of bees sometime!, and I don't want them or anything in!

so im curious just how it gets to the point. ive never had a problem with it in 4 years.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:31 PM

I have no idea. We have never had a problem with ours and we are in the mud, dirt, snow. But on the other hand we keep our h3 immaculate when we are done playing. I don't know why it is such a problem with some h3's

Old 08-25-2013, 04:43 AM

I believe the rubber moulding around the glass is to blame. When it gets old it allows water/debris to collect in the channel and go into the drains. This is not to be confused with the lower moulding that makes an air tight seal when closed. I too rarely open the top, so it was a big surprise when water started dripping down from the onstar mic, that's your first sign.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by happythree
I guess ive been thinking about this for years as I read the unending questions and comments. I open the top window only when im moving,often just the tilt up to vent air out. on a nice day I open fully if the sun is not in my face. when I park I close up.

so when do you guys get full of crud? if its open in dusty areas or there is debris in the air the cab would be a real mess b4 the drains got enuf to clog.
so I don't see the bottom line reason for the clogging!

is your truck really dirty inside from running open during offroading?
do you run open in dusty offroading?

im usually on grass or weeds but never open up offroad. I see bunches of bees sometime!, and I don't want them or anything in!

so im curious just how it gets to the point. ive never had a problem with it in 4 years.

Mine has hardly ever seen any mud and mostly sits in the garage and my first sign was the same, water from onstar mic. See above what happened when I didn't get it fixed. Sounds like you are just a lucky one but it will come eventually.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by dan perez
I believe the rubber moulding around the glass is to blame. When it gets old it allows water/debris to collect in the channel and go into the drains. This is not to be confused with the lower moulding that makes an air tight seal when closed. I too rarely open the top, so it was a big surprise when water started dripping down from the onstar mic, that's your first sign.
Exactly correct. I too barely EVER open my moonroof. In fact, I have a 2006 H3 and it's been open maybe three times a year. I had zero leaks until this year, and the onset was fast. Immediately after a large rain I had pools of water in the front driver/passenger floorboard areas. I performed the aforementioned repair technique and noticed a large amount of crud within the pipes. It was odd considering I never really offroad, never park under trees, and wash my vehicle often. Fact is.. it can happen to anyone.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:59 PM
Default maintenance

at oil change time,3-4 months, I rub the rubber with silicone grease and wipe the metal contact surface with the silicone after cleaning it.
it keeps the rubber soft, best seal, so far not a drop,35000 miles.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:53 PM

146,000, never a problem, through mud, snow, sand................;It'll probably happen tomorrow now that I said that.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:14 PM

We just had a rain storm. I made a turn out of my driveway and water poured on my head from the sun roof.it did not come out of the on star mic, but just over the lip of the sun roof where the gears that move it back and forth are. Not sure what happened but seems like the tubes must have been full.Plan on finally attempting to modify the tubes soon

Old 08-28-2013, 10:09 AM

Did you have to remove the entire instrument panel to reattach the drain tube to the firewall? My H32008 is currently at the dealership for this stinkn problem and they just found the tube off the firewall said more labor to reconnect....$$$$ is that necessary?

Quick Reply: Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes