Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by happythree
monsoon with rear amp?

open up and check connections.

if you have just a front mounted radio,pull it and remove,replace conn.

don't know why but humidity may cause conn trouble?

always check connections.
only a guess
No monsoon system, just the stock stereo. I just had the front door speakers and head unit replaced, it is all working now (including rear speakers which were out, but not replaced). I plan on drilling out the X's in the drain tubes this weekend just to be safe. Maybe it's possible the door speakers shorted out the head unit? They did say that the door speakers in the front had water damage. I looked at the old head unit and it's not rusted or anything, doesn't look like water ever touched it. If it rains today and the new speakers stop working... it will be back to the drawing board... and I may also cry

Old 07-04-2013, 10:51 AM

Thanks to all who provided information on this topic. My 15 year old son accomplished this fix while I read him the directions you all provided. Lol.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:17 AM
Default For hummer_on_fumes

Check the grommets where they connect the drain tubes to the firewall and make sure they are seated correctly. You might not be getting a lot of water in that's visible, but enough to kill the radio. My radio went out twice because of this poorly designed drainage system, except I wasn't as lucky as you, I've had water leak inside dozens of times. Turn the heater on full blast with the windows cracked about 1/2" to dry the sumbitch out, that's how I got my audio system working again . . . can't wait to finally fix this thing once and for all with the solution posted on this Godsend of a thread. Hopefully I won't need a new BCM! I Forget who the original poster was, but thanks to you, bro!!!!!!! Good luck to you hummer_on_fumes!

Old 07-23-2013, 04:39 PM

Ok guys and gals here is some fun news. First off we all know about the clogging tubes, let me tell you my story from the dealer today. Saturday I am sitting in my living room enjoying a cup of joe as the never ending torrential monsoon spicket has been turned on again in Ohio. I start hearing a horn so I open the door and see the light on my H3 Alpha flashing, horn blowing, signals running and wipers going. The car is locked and I have no keys in it! So I go out in the inevitable downpour, pull the horn wire and disconnect the battery. In between storm s I go out to find a puddle of water on my passenger side floor. I sweep it out, hook the battery back up and I turn light on to stop wipers but I only have high beams and the wipers are still going, the right turn signal arrow is dim the passlock light is on and my Navigation system is going crazy and the radio can't find XM. I sweep out the water and put my cover over the and hope for dry weather. Two days later things start to return to normal. I call the dealer and make an appointment. Go to start the car to go to dealer and everything works fine except for that damn passlock light. Dealer calls several hours later and says good news is I have all of the parts in stock, bad news is your body control module is bad, your ignition module needs replaced and its going to be about $150 to clean your sunroof drain channels. All adds up to about 1K. If I remember correctly I think that was the cost of the sunroof on the paperwork when I purchased so now I figure I am out $2K. Dealer recommends cleaning out the sunroof drains annually. I never seen this in my owners manual so just a heads up to those of you watching your floor get wet...start saving up some extra spunk.....sorry for the winded story but hope it keeps you from experiencing this BS

Last edited by 08JJ; 07-23-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Default drenched carpets ??

if it happens you need to pull them up on the seats or pull the seats. left untreated they will mold, and rot the floor. ive seen rust in a Pontiac and a chevy s10

Old 07-24-2013, 09:09 AM

Gotta love this priceless information and the work put forth to create these solutions. I had two ponds in my front seats from a recent down pour, and this write up has saved me. Thank you!

Old 07-25-2013, 08:08 AM

I found an easier way. Buy some screen door spline from Home Depot .175" diameter. The spline has ridges which clean the gunk as you push it into the drain port in the opened sun roof. It goes in about 4 feet. The spline has a hole in the center into which you insert a nozzle from a can of compressed air. Shoot air into the spline and the pressure will clear the gunk. Pour some water with Clorox down the drain hole. That cleans the built up algae out. Repeat a couple of times until the water drains out quickly.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:06 PM

I realize this is old but wanted to say TY...my Burban had this issue until a mechanic did some fix on the 3rd clogged drain/wet inside trip to the dealer that he said would finally fix the problem for good (and it did). This is probably what he did, but I never knew what it was exactly and I was wondering/worrying about it happening on my 'new' H3. Now I know what to do, so TY!

Old 08-17-2013, 08:41 PM

I was abe to unclog the driver side and clean out the x etc and all is good. The Passenger drain is difficult as i can't get to the drain behind the airbag. I have the glove box open and extended but i read somewhere you have to pop out the airbag???? How??? i am a novice at fixing car stuff. please help. Thank you!!!!

Old 08-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Default Passenger side

The passenger side is a little more complex, but does require moving a few pieces. I loved the Side piece to the dash board (remove the two pop out pins) and then I put my hand up in it and removed the moonroof drain from the firewall. Cleaned it with air and reinstalled. Easy Cheesy.

Quick Reply: Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes