Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 09:38 AM

Honestly, it's kinda hack...why not just fix it right and enjoy it? Everyone here has made it pretty easy...

Old 05-16-2022, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nunjabusiness
To preface this, if I could have found a solid roof Alpha, I would have, but had to settle for one with a sunroof.

After the first storm since I got it, I found the passenger floorboard to have a fair amount of water in it. Glad I had put in the rubber mats and they are deep enough to contain it.
So I figured I was looking forward to cleaning and doing the "X-fix" on the grommets with the excellent tip in this thead.

However, I thought about it and came up with another idea. Will not be right for a lot of people, but maybe a few.
I have firm plans to never use the thing, I don't even slide the cover back.

What if I were to mask it off really carefully, then use some Flex-Seal, spray or brush-on, and neatly surround the entire outside edge of the sunroof with it?
Wouldn't have to be wide, just spanning the inside edges of the cutout to just over the edge of the glass.

I am thinking it will seal it completely, but could probably be peeled off later if needed.
What do you all think?
Why not duct tape a blue tarp over the top?

I could likely do the fix faster than your flex-seal experiment, and know it was dine right.

Old 12-19-2022, 12:38 PM
Default Maybe another hack/solution

Similar to nunjabusiness, I have rarely opened the sunroof of my H3 in the 13 years I've owned it. I started to try the fix to remove the X flanges in the firewall, but they don't seem very easy to get to. I've tried cleaning the drain tubes, running string trimmer line down them, chemicals, etc. Works for a while. I'm done. I have clear silicone tape over the edge of the sunroof currently, but that means I can't take the H3 through a car wash.
So I'm thinking of getting some type of silicone caulk (maybe windshield grade stuff) and just caulking the gap between the sunroof and roof. Seems foolproof, should last a long time, and if careful shouldn't be noticeable.
Thoughts?

Old 12-19-2022, 12:41 PM

Leaning towards Flex-Seal clear

Old 12-19-2022, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Stabwound
Similar to nunjabusiness, I have rarely opened the sunroof of my H3 in the 13 years I've owned it. I started to try the fix to remove the X flanges in the firewall, but they don't seem very easy to get to. I've tried cleaning the drain tubes, running string trimmer line down them, chemicals, etc. Works for a while. I'm done. I have clear silicone tape over the edge of the sunroof currently, but that means I can't take the H3 through a car wash.
So I'm thinking of getting some type of silicone caulk (maybe windshield grade stuff) and just caulking the gap between the sunroof and roof. Seems foolproof, should last a long time, and if careful shouldn't be noticeable.
Thoughts?
What's wrong with Gray tarp and matching Duck Tape? Seriously?

Do the fix, you know what it is, just do it.

Old 12-19-2022, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
What's wrong with Gray tarp and matching Duck Tape? Seriously?
That Sh^t wont hold! Learn how to properly lay a clean bead of caulk(many YT videos show how-to DIY)
Then get a tube of Silicone Max

Old 02-03-2023, 08:59 AM
Default many thanks

OP many thanks for this info, I've had my 06 for for 13 years and only in last 2 years has it not been garage kept this problem started last winter and was driving me crazy, every time it would rain Id have to dump out the weathertech floor liners

Old 05-08-2023, 04:52 AM

Why the hell GM even manufactured that grommet with the cross shape inside of it baffles me. The only logical explanation that I can come up with was to keep pests (spiders, and other insects) from crawling inside from the firewall and building a home.
That cross-shaped section of rubber inside of the grommet has seemed to have been every Hummer owner's nightmare, as it gets clogged up with debris.
Believe it or not, however, my problem was actually different. I THOUGHT it was the reason water was entering the interior of my 2007 Hummer H3 and collecting on the passenger floorboard. To my surprise however, the drain hose had somehow become completely disconnected from the drain hole location at the very top, at the sunroof!!!
On top of that, I began installing a stereo system, with two amplifiers and several speakers throughout the vehicle. As I began uncovering the headliner, etc, I uncovered MORE WATER!!! Someone (I don't know if it was GM, or the PO) apparently put Bondo on the top of the roof, at the right rear section, where two pieces of metal were joined together at the factory.
THERE WAS A HUGE OPENING UNDERNEATH THE LONG BLACK TRIM PIECE (that has a track in it, allowing you to put racks, etc) on top of the vehicle)!!!

Old 05-08-2023, 11:46 AM

most likely some one used an air gun to clear the drain holes. that usually pop's the line off the sunroof drains. as for under the rails they usually use seam sealer and with time it can separate.

Old 05-14-2023, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
most likely some one used an air gun to clear the drain holes. that usually pop's the line off the sunroof drains. as for under the rails they usually use seam sealer and with time it can separate.
I always blow them out with a compressor. No problem))

Quick Reply: Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes