Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 07:04 PM

Just bought a 2007 H3X. OMG I LOVE IT. Took it to self carwash on 2nd day of owning then discovered the driver's side carpet soaked... I didn't even spray much onto the roof but that has to be where all the water was from so.... saw somewhere to use weedeater line and gently unclog. OK… stood up on seat and began fishing the line through the driver drain opening. After a while I noticed I could look at head-level to the sunroof and see all the line coiled up inside/around the sunroof so I figure the hose is unhooked up there. Unknown if I did it with the weedeater line, or if this was the original source of the leak. Since it’s December and I don’t have use of a garage (and a heated one at that)… I used the last warm day when it was 65 and used latex caulk to seal up the sunroof for the winter. (Latex caulk should peel right off when I’m able to get back to it in the spring).

Focused on the drains at the firewall next. Passenger side used an oscillating saw to cut a MUCH larger opening (followed the “grid” on the plastic – thanks GM for the cutting lines!). Very easy to reach right in without looking, feel around for the drain hose, and pull the grommet off. Discovered someone had already removed the “X”, so I popped it back in, making sure it was all the way in.

Driver side… actually pretty easy. Get on your back and feel your way to the drain hose (that sounds dirty…) like they say. I found out that mine was disconnected (!) so ok, pull out the grommet to check and this one still had the “X” so I promptly used a pair of scissors, twisting the grommet on them until the dreaded “X” was gone. Re-attached everything.

Removed driver seat, propped up carpeting and dried out carpeting as much as I could. Re-assemble (omg that seat is HEAVY, and be careful not to scratch anything maneuvering it into position!).

Should be good, right? NOPE. After recent heavy rain, driver side carpet and floormat are SOAKED again. How is this possible with the sunroof caulked shut? WHERE is this water coming from??? My headliner is dry. The driver a-pillar airbag (the white nylon bag crammed in there) is wet. I had noticed some water dripping on the left flat part of the dash below the a-pillar, between the rubber door seal and the plastic… but this is obviously coming from the a-pillar since the white nylon airbag is wet. It also seems that the floormat took the brunt of the water so there may be more than one place where the water is apparently gushing in. I also poured a gallon of water above the driver roof… all along the caulked sunroof, into any visible crevice but saw NONE come into the vehicle and everything pouring out underneath. My headliner is bone dry on the interior side and nothing comes out of the onstar mic. I’m amazed at the amount of water in the floorboard.

Any thoughts? I absolutely LOVE this hummer and as happy I was to buy it, I’m crushed about all this water and am terrified I will regret buying it.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by NewHummerEnthusiast
Just bought a 2007 H3X. OMG I LOVE IT. Took it to self carwash on 2nd day of owning then discovered the driver's side carpet soaked... I didn't even spray much onto the roof but that has to be where all the water was from so.... saw somewhere to use weedeater line and gently unclog. OK… stood up on seat and began fishing the line through the driver drain opening. After a while I noticed I could look at head-level to the sunroof and see all the line coiled up inside/around the sunroof so I figure the hose is unhooked up there. Unknown if I did it with the weedeater line, or if this was the original source of the leak. Since it’s December and I don’t have use of a garage (and a heated one at that)… I used the last warm day when it was 65 and used latex caulk to seal up the sunroof for the winter. (Latex caulk should peel right off when I’m able to get back to it in the spring).

Focused on the drains at the firewall next. Passenger side used an oscillating saw to cut a MUCH larger opening (followed the “grid” on the plastic – thanks GM for the cutting lines!). Very easy to reach right in without looking, feel around for the drain hose, and pull the grommet off. Discovered someone had already removed the “X”, so I popped it back in, making sure it was all the way in.

Driver side… actually pretty easy. Get on your back and feel your way to the drain hose (that sounds dirty…) like they say. I found out that mine was disconnected (!) so ok, pull out the grommet to check and this one still had the “X” so I promptly used a pair of scissors, twisting the grommet on them until the dreaded “X” was gone. Re-attached everything.

Removed driver seat, propped up carpeting and dried out carpeting as much as I could. Re-assemble (omg that seat is HEAVY, and be careful not to scratch anything maneuvering it into position!).

Should be good, right? NOPE. After recent heavy rain, driver side carpet and floormat are SOAKED again. How is this possible with the sunroof caulked shut? WHERE is this water coming from??? My headliner is dry. The driver a-pillar airbag (the white nylon bag crammed in there) is wet. I had noticed some water dripping on the left flat part of the dash below the a-pillar, between the rubber door seal and the plastic… but this is obviously coming from the a-pillar since the white nylon airbag is wet. It also seems that the floormat took the brunt of the water so there may be more than one place where the water is apparently gushing in. I also poured a gallon of water above the driver roof… all along the caulked sunroof, into any visible crevice but saw NONE come into the vehicle and everything pouring out underneath. My headliner is bone dry on the interior side and nothing comes out of the onstar mic. I’m amazed at the amount of water in the floorboard.

Any thoughts? I absolutely LOVE this hummer and as happy I was to buy it, I’m crushed about all this water and am terrified I will regret buying it.
Welcome to HF.

This thread gives a step by step instruction on exactly how to fix clogged sunroof drains. Nowhere does it suggest using string trimmer line or compressed air. A prior owner or some auto service buffoon tried to blow out the drain lines with compressed air, which nearly always makes them disconnect and cause your problem. Do a Google, there are vids on how to drop the headliner and reconnect the lines. For now you can do the fix which is 100% at the firewall end and get the drain hoses reconnected as soon as you can later.

Old 05-26-2021, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Welcome to HF.

Nowhere does it suggest using string trimmer line
I have been using .095 2x a year with the cutout. I've got an oak tree behind me and a there's a maple tree beside me. Both sh^t on my H3 (spring/fall) and clog the drains. Check flow, pour water in, should drain, as fast as you pour the water in, if not, easy to clear the clog with .095. Cheap sunroof drain snake.

Old 05-27-2021, 12:19 PM

looks like weed whacker cord

Old 05-27-2021, 01:03 PM

Old 05-27-2021, 07:55 PM

How do you get to the rear drains? I can barely see them when the sunroof is fully retracted.

Old 05-27-2021, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Justinh
How do you get to the rear drains? I can barely see them when the sunroof is fully retracted.
Never did anything with the rear drains. Only shop vac/air blow gun/wipe clean, the channel. Btw, I always back in/park, on my driveway that is pitched forward.

Old 06-20-2021, 06:25 AM

Update: The problem was the front/left drain hose was indeed disconnected - whether I did it with the weed line or someone else did with compressed air is moot lol. I had already fixed the grommets so wasn't worried about them.

Getting the roof liner pulled down enough to re-attach the hose was a 100% royal PITA. Thank God I didn't bend/break the headliner, in spite of my Fred Flintstone thick hands. I did use an endoscope attached to my iPad to verify the state of the drain before noodling my hand up in there though. That was very helpful.

Didn't try using any tape or other fastener to ensure I'd never have to do this again, because it was so tight and I wasn't even sure I could retrieve my hand... so far so good though. No more leaks booyah! I never checked the rears because the leak seemed to be fixed after that (and the latex caulking easily pulled away and I was careful not to get any chunks of it into the sunroof drain pain lol). I have 50 pollen-producing oaks all around my house so this spring I was very diligent about making sure all that pollenized crap was cleaned out. About every oil change, I use a vinegar solution first, let it sit a few minutes, then a hot water pour with some dish soap to "flush" the drain system.

((I freakin' LOVE this H3 and am going to get another - gas prices and electro-hippies be damned. It's actually not too bad on gas - I've had pickups get far worse. And I'm also aware that those rechargeable batteries in the electric vehicles are FAR more toxic to the environment to make (and DISPOSE OF when they need their obligatory replacement - all batteries die!) - just ONE set of batteries in a Prius or Tesla is worse than the enviro-damage of 1,000 Hummers! I'm amazed but not surprised how electric-vehicle advocates aren't mentioning how bad ALL batteries are... they conveniently omit the topic like the plague.))

Old 01-24-2022, 04:02 PM
Default Sunroof

This is exact reason I elected NO SUNROOF. As a female Hummer H3 Enthusiast, I cannot deal with incidents like this, so I eliminate the possibility. I own a Hummer H3 because I feel more safe amongst crazy- reckless drivers. Anyone know a trustworthy repair shop for H3's near Plano, TX? EOM
‐----------------------------------
I've been lucky, and haven't had a problem yet, but didn't want to wait until I had a drenched interior before I found a fix. The drains are rubber hoses that come from the sunroof, and then plug into rigid plastic tubing behind the driver's and passenger side 'A' pillar trim panels. The rigid tubing is shaped to follow contours behind the instrument panel, where it then plugs into a rubber grommet that goes through the firewall and drains behind the wheel well inner panels. This whole fix is done entirely from the interior of the truck. Start by removing the instrument, side trim panels, and the 'A' pillar trim panels (a phillips screw behind the 'Air Bag' trim plug...also unplug the tweeter so you can remove the panel) (pic's 1-4). I've included a pic from HUMMERZ, showing the location of the grommet behind the tach (pic 5). Reach up behind the tach, and unplug the grommet from the firewall. On passenger side reach through side panel, over the top of the steel support brace (pic 6), and unplug from the firewall. The driver's side hose is black, and goes into black tubing, the passenger side hose is black, and goes into white tubing. The hose is held with tape onto green retainers (pic 3). Carefully cut the tape from the 2 lower retainers on each side with an X-acto so the hose, tube and grommet can be pulled out (pic 7). CAUTION!! WHEN PULLING HOSE, TUBING AND GROMMET THROUGH 'A' PILLAR, BE SURE TO ONLY BEND/FLEX THE RUBBER HOSE, NOT THE RIGID PLASTIC TUBING!! SAME THING WHEN REINSTALLING!! The grommet can be pulled off the end of the tubing (pic 8). Look in the end of the grommet, and you'll see why the tubes get clogged. There's a molded in 'cross cut' that traps even small debris (pic 9). Take an X-acto and carefully cut that piece out (pic 10), and replace grommet on tube. Take some electrical tape, and tape the grommet to the tube to be sure it doesn't come off during re-installation (pic 11). Plug grommets back into holes in firewall, replace trim panels, and you should not have anymore leak problems. It probably took me longer to write this thread and take pics then the entire job took.

[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Old 01-24-2022, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by zksray
This is exact reason I elected NO SUNROOF. As a female Hummer H3 Enthusiast, I cannot deal with incidents like this, so I eliminate the possibility. I own a Hummer H3 because I feel more safe amongst crazy- reckless drivers. Anyone know a trustworthy repair shop for H3's near Plano, TX? EOM

Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes

Quick Reply: Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes