Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 12:41 PM

Is it any diagram on where grommet are on the passanger side? I have the leak and when checked the hose is disconnected behind the dashboard. Dumped water on the roof and the water comes off the tube, therefore, no other part missing. The problem is I don't know where the grommet is.
Placed my hand thru the hole on the passanger side (were I removed the panel) tried to look around but nothing found.

Thank you

Old 12-22-2019, 01:42 PM

Nevermind, found it, now I need a new one as I dropped it

Old 02-08-2020, 05:08 PM

Does this apply to an H2 as well or does the h2 not have the X in the grommets?

Old 02-08-2020, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by firmani99
Does this apply to an H2 as well or does the h2 not have the X in the grommets?
Nope..

Old 02-09-2020, 08:38 AM
Default Passenger side 2007

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
Sorry guys, I tried to do a 'cut & paste' of my original thread to move it from FAQ to the main forum, figuring it would get more exposure, and lost it all in the process. Finally got around to re-post:

I've been lucky, and haven't had a problem yet, but didn't want to wait until I had a drenched interior before I found a fix. The drains are rubber hoses that come from the sunroof, and then plug into rigid plastic tubing behind the driver's and passenger side 'A' pillar trim panels. The rigid tubing is shaped to follow contours behind the instrument panel, where it then plugs into a rubber grommet that goes through the firewall and drains behind the wheel well inner panels. This whole fix is done entirely from the interior of the truck. Start by removing the instrument, side trim panels, and the 'A' pillar trim panels (a phillips screw behind the 'Air Bag' trim plug...also unplug the tweeter so you can remove the panel) (pic's 1-4). I've included a pic from HUMMERZ, showing the location of the grommet behind the tach (pic 5). Reach up behind the tach, and unplug the grommet from the firewall. On passenger side reach through side panel, over the top of the steel support brace (pic 6), and unplug from the firewall. The driver's side hose is black, and goes into black tubing, the passenger side hose is black, and goes into white tubing. The hose is held with tape onto green retainers (pic 3). Carefully cut the tape from the 2 lower retainers on each side with an X-acto so the hose, tube and grommet can be pulled out (pic 7). CAUTION!! WHEN PULLING HOSE, TUBING AND GROMMET THROUGH 'A' PILLAR, BE SURE TO ONLY BEND/FLEX THE RUBBER HOSE, NOT THE RIGID PLASTIC TUBING!! SAME THING WHEN REINSTALLING!! The grommet can be pulled off the end of the tubing (pic 8). Look in the end of the grommet, and you'll see why the tubes get clogged. There's a molded in 'cross cut' that traps even small debris (pic 9). Take an X-acto and carefully cut that piece out (pic 10), and replace grommet on tube. Take some electrical tape, and tape the grommet to the tube to be sure it doesn't come off during re-installation (pic 11). Plug grommets back into holes in firewall, replace trim panels, and you should not have anymore leak problems. It probably took me longer to write this thread and take pics then the entire job took.

Hi I was able to get the passenger side taken apart problem is when I reached in side panel I found the hose but it was just floating no grommet and not attached to anything. Question is where is the hole to put grommet in once I replace? I can't seem to see it ? Is it visable ? Any help is much appreciated!! Drowning in NC!! VACUMMING water out of my Vehicle Everytime it rains now I know why ..

Old 02-09-2020, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Pamelalucky
I found the hose but it was just floating no grommet and not attached to anything.
Grommet is not a piece you can purchase separately, it's part of the hose assembly. Don't know WHAT could have happened to yours (maybe got pushed through the hole and is on the other side of the firewall)?? You just have to 'feel' around for the hole to find it.
Doc....could this thread I started 8 years ago possibly be made into a 'Sticky'?

Last edited by Broken Halo; 02-09-2020 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
Doc....could this thread I started 8 years ago possibly be made into a 'Sticky'?
DONE.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Coolvibes
... Same for the passenger side, but could not get the grommet and tube back in for the life of me.
I had lots of trouble with the passenger side. Couldn't get the right pressure around the grommet to get it back in. I found a piece of old washer hose (clear with the white braided lines) that had an ID that fit right over the grommet hose and contacted the base all around. Put that up the drain hose line, put hose in grommet, pushed washer hose (about a 1" long section) down on grommet base and it popped that sucker right in! Added benefit - it's too big to fit through the firewall hole, so unlikely you'll push the grommet through and lose it.
I can't believe how much time I spent before that 'ah-ha' moment. Wish I had done it on driver's side too.

Cheers!
JD

Old 09-10-2020, 01:10 PM

I just completed the easiest clog fix ever.
1st I tried the weed wacker line that never made more than 2 feet without stopping.
Went to dollar store bought a meat injection needle and a bottle of $1 drain cleaner.
Injected drain cleaner into clogged tube, waited 1/2 hour and flushed.
Just like new again.

Old 09-11-2020, 03:41 PM

I have done a couple of clogged sun roof fixes.
A tip for dealing with grommets in impossible places.....
I take about 6 feet of fishing line (way more than what I need) and tie it around the cusp of the grommet
I worm my arm in the passenger side access (ripping up knuckles and cutting hand along the way) and make multiple attempts to push grommet back in the hole.
If I drop it, I just pull the fishing line attached to the grommet until it is out. Then try again.
Once successful, I snip the fishing line as far inside the access point as possible

Saves a lot of aggravation

Hope this helps someone

Quick Reply: Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes