Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 08:56 AM

leave the rear grommets alone, and don't put on a leveling kit. the rear is 10 times more work.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:14 AM

Gotta agree with George. Once you get the front lines clear, that should solve all of your problems.

Not quite sure how you did the grommet mod without removing them from the firewall, but ok.

Even with the mod, I had to snake the lines from both top and bottom to clear them. (Driver's side required some creative yoga-style maneuvering, but still do-able.) I was able to do the passenger side without removing the glove box, but maybe the '06 is configured differently, IDK.

If you empty the reservoir at the top of the drains (where all that water spills from after a rainstorm) with a sponge or towel before you start, there won't be THAT much water in the lines. Again, a big towel on the floor (and maybe some safety glasses on your eyes if you're upside down looking up at the line) will be all you need. If you have eyes on the grommet when you remove it from the firewall, you'll be able to direct any potential water where you want it.

Like I said, I had to use the weedwhacker line from both the top and the bottom several times to clear the debris from the line. If I remember correctly, it was the bottom snaking on both sides that finally cleared the lines. I was amazed at the size of the stuff that came out of there, not much smaller than the size of the lines themselves.

I get that you're concerned about the electronics, but worst case it would be a short exposure to a small amount of water. Make sure everything is turned off when you do it, let any spill that may occur dry, and you'll be in the clear.

Guess what, if you drains are clogged, you're already getting water damage in your interior and the longer it goes on, the worse it will get.

That's my advice, take it for what it's worth. That and a buck fifty will get you a cup of coffee, just not at Starbucks.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:26 AM

im still curious how you guys get that gunk in there? i open the window only when im rolling down the road on clear days, never let it open when parked.

i admit,on morning i looked out and saw it open!!, lucky me no downpour that nite!.
in a heavy rain i sit inside and push paper towels in and get NO WATER on them.
if it leaks at all it cant let in debris as the seal is really good,a little water at most.

do you rub the rubber and metal surfaces with silicone grease? i do 3-4 times a year.

no leaks, none

oh, yes i flush,just to be sure.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:23 PM

Sushi,
Good advice. I did the grommet mod last summer and, after a few test cups, thought I was in the clear... Didn't think of the flossing trick and probably wouldn't have thought I needed it at the time, either. Now that it's rainy season, I'll have to pull the grommets again; I'll try to wait for a dry day and cover everything up with a towel the best I can.

Happy,
Not sure how the tubes get clogged; I rarely use the sunroof, personally, but I bought the vehicle used and the leaking problem was there after the first few heavy rains. It may be that it doesn't matter if the roof is open or closed; somebody else can probably answer that.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:20 PM
Default Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone with this leaky sunroof problem my husband appreciates your help. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with the problem.

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
THANKS Randy!!!

I have no sun roof, but this will surely be helpful to those that do.
Originally Posted by george-d
Hi. i know what you are going through. and fear of water on the electronics is justified. i ended up with over $900 worth of repairs before i got smart enough to join the Hummer Forum. what everyone is telling you is true. lots of different things to try, but pulling those grommets and cutting out the rubber is the only answer. everyone has a wife, girlfriend, son, or daughter with small hands. that is a big help and they will love to get involved. they can reach those grommets without tearing the vehicle half apart. my girlfriend did the reaching for me and we got it done in 1 afternoon. as the other posts suggested, when the grommets are out, run some wacker line through the firewall holes. once those are clear, do the same from the roof down. keep sending a little water down until it is running free. it can be time consuming, frustrating and cause much foul language. don't give up, be patient. everyone else did it, i did it, you can too. once it is finished, remember the maintenance. keep them cleaned out. an air compressor w/a regulator can be turned down to the point of just a small amount of pressure. gently blow them out now and then and check the flow. it will be worth it. and remember to thank everyone here who has felt your pain. they are great people.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:31 AM
Default fixed sunroof issue -- now new problem

Thank you for helping solve the sunroof problem.

New project. The blower fan does not work, A/C not working, and cool air circulation is not working either. Is it because everything is still wet underneath the dash or is it my climate control??? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

CeeJai

Old 04-03-2014, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by CeeJai
Thank you for helping solve the sunroof problem.

New project. The blower fan does not work, A/C not working, and cool air circulation is not working either. Is it because everything is still wet underneath the dash or is it my climate control??? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

CeeJai
Congrats on fixign sunroof....

but start a new thread.... this is not a sunroof leaking issue

Old 04-13-2014, 06:54 PM

Finally flossed my lines as a follow up to the grommet mod I did last year. It's amazing the tubes clog so easily; it was really just a really fine dirt powder that must have accumulated enough to stop up the line. A few passes with the knotted weed whacker cable and there wasn't much more coming through, so I dumped a tall cup of soapy water down the holes, followed with clean water, and called it good. It's sunny and 70 in Seattle, but it's supposed to rain for several days at the end of the week so I'll see if that finally solves the issue.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:50 PM

Uggh, I flossed my drain tubes and they tested fine, but Seattle got its first rain all week this morning... I got into my H3 so excited to test my freshly flossed tubes and, to my horror, found water already dumping from above the driver's side window sill and the Onstar mic. I just flossed the tubes! The only thing I can figure is that I must have pulled the drain tube free of the sunroof tray while flossing.

Perhaps a dumb question, but I've removed the A-pillar before as well as the end caps. How do I access the drain tube area in the headliner? No clue how to get the headliner down.

EDIT: Got it done; just pulled on the headliner and managed to get enough access. It made some cracking sounds at times, but it seems to have gone back into place ok. This should serve as a warning to people doing the mod; the flossing method is definitely effective at removing debris, but you need to be certain you don't pull the tube off the stem when you do it. I caused a worse problem by doing so.

Last edited by KingJoseph; 04-17-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:48 AM

The flossing didn't work real well for me. That is why Used the straw trick I mentiined earlier. It takes two minutes and done!

Quick Reply: Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes