Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Factory front locker upgrade for 07 H3??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:04 AM
Default Factory front locker upgrade for 07 H3??

I have an 07 H3 with Adventure pkg, has anyone added a front factory locker? Looking to add one and have it wired to the factory switch. Thanks for any help.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:51 AM

You will not want to put a locker in the front of your 07 H3 without first upgrading the actual diff housing. The 06-08 I5 H3s came with an Aluminum front diff. which will "deflect" and cause some major issues (R&P and Intermediate shaft damage).

The 08-10 Alphas regardless of the OffRoad package or not will have a Cast Iron front diff. but have 4:10 gears. The 09-10 I5s with the Adventure package also came with the Cast Iron front diffs,m 4:56 gears (same as your 07 I5) AND front lockers.

Might want to search around for a salvaged diff from one of the above mentioned rigs or purchace the entire diff with 4:56s and Lockers already installed from GM.

As far as the OEM switches go the switch panel with 2 lockers will not plug into either the single locker or no locker panels (different plugs in the rear). Just put a switch some where so you can see the light to tell you it's ON, so you son't forget to turn it off and do some serious damage!

Hope this helps!

Old 04-13-2012, 11:24 PM

Thanks, I am in Singapore for work so I will double check when I get home to CA. I thought I had a CI diff in front. But these do have the 4.1 gears right? If I regear will I will have to get a new locker? Is the factory E locker even any good? I am wondering if paying extra for the package was even worth it.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by rascole
Thanks, I am in Singapore for work so I will double check when I get home to CA. I thought I had a CI diff in front. But these do have the 4.1 gears right? If I regear will I will have to get a new locker? Is the factory E locker even any good? I am wondering if paying extra for the package was even worth it.
Unless someone replaced your front diff with a CAST IRON one and removed the locker or regeared it you have an aluminum front diff.

I'll try to make this super easy to follow:
ALL I5 H3/H3Ts came with 4:56 gears
ALL V8 (Alpha) H3/H3Ts came with 4:10 gears

Only Adventure (I5) and OffRoad (V8) package equipped H3/H3Ts have the 4:1 transfer case ratio. The ALL the others will have the 2.7?:1 ratio.

If you haven't been Offroad then I would say NO it wasn't worth it. If you have used your rear locker just once to get you out of a sticky situation then I woud say YES it was worth it. But that is up to what your personal needs are.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:28 AM

Thanks a bunch. I have tried to read as many threads as I can but many seem to go off track pretty quickly. I struggled with the decision to buy an 06 or spend the extra $2000 for a 07. So I spent the extra for a few less miles and a few less engine problems. After I get home I am checking the radiator. I do know that the previous owner used keys to raise the front.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:03 AM

Hi Tainter
upon reading this thread I have learned that my 2008 h3alpha has the cast-iron front diff. my questions is, Do I have to change the gear ratios to add the locker I am very convinced that you know what you are talking about and respect your opinion Thank You for your time and help
Scott on the western slope of Colorado and the home of Black Bear Pass Telluride

Old 04-22-2020, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Scott.... Welcome to HF.

You just dug up an EIGHT YEAR OLD Thread to ask a question. Please avoid that in the future. Take a look at this linked thread in blue: READ: Old Threads/'Necro-Bumping'
In a perfect world you could have asked your question in a new thread with a link back to this old dog.

To answer your question, if you are adding a locker to your existing Alpha front diff w/o the locker the gear ratio is already 4:10 front and back. The locker itself does not change the ratio.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:40 PM

As Doc pointed out you do not have to regear to add a locker to the front of your 08 Alpha. Tou will want a selectable locker for the front like an Eaton E Locker or ARB air locker.