PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Edge power programmer for alpha?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Default Edge power programmer for alpha?

I was thinking and wondered if an Edge power programmer system would work on the H3 alphas? I know the current model GM trucks have the DOD (displacement on demand) set ups. Just wondering if this would be possible or are we talking to completely different animals? I think it would be cool to have what the Edge offers in engine monitoring capabilites. I know the I-5 guys can go to PCM 4 less for a tune. I went thru them for a tune for my trailblazer and have emailed them about a tune for the Alpha and its not available yet. I know I am being impatient with it but maybe another option for us.

And here is a pic of my H3 up at work

[IMG]local://upfiles/3829/10B8FC0C84E345579A1822127001ACE5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-14-2008, 01:12 AM
Default RE: Edge power programmer for alpha?

i have no clue about the issue, but you've got a nice looking ride

Old 06-14-2008, 07:38 AM

I'm not familiar with the Edge programmer but I have done a bit of tuning on GM vehicles - specifically my vettes - using dedicated software and a laptop to optimize mods I have done. This software is complex but extremely flexible/capable versus canned programmers if you're willing to invest the time and money.

Shortly after buying my Alpha, I upgraded both scanning/tuning packages I have and both are capable of reading and writing to the Alpha's PCM. In fact, I have downloaded the Alpha's factory tuning so I could peruse it and start becoming familiar with it.

The Alpha's 5.3 L PCM is of the E67 variety so what serves asit's Volumetric Efficiency (VE) table was not so easy to manipulate to optimize tuning since it was not of a typical matrix format of other GM setups. It required tuners to translate changes to the VE table by converting them into a coefficient table and uploading it to the PCM. That is no longer necessary as the major packages out there now do the translation for you so you can tune the PCM in the normal way and the translation is handled by the software. There are about 630 calibrations accessible by the software so it presents a steep learning curve becoming familiar with the factory tuning.

Here's a shot of my Alpha's VE table in EFI Lve, one of the tuning packages I have.

Name:  EFIscreenshot.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  187.6 KB

Old 06-14-2008, 12:54 PM

Really makes me appreciate everything PCMforless does lolol