Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

desmanteling my H3

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 05:39 PM
Default desmanteling my H3

so I drove past winter and i really like the vehicle, so i decided to keep it. its 2007, when i bought it the odometer reads 120000km, but im pretty sure it was tempered and downgrade from 200000km. anyways, now i to fix it for myself, to drive it for another 2 years, and after ill probably sell it.. its an US car, that been imported to Canada. so it almost always was driven in snow and slush and newer was rustproofed. although the body condition is not that bad- im quite surprised. so far i striped it quiet much and so far i just find little holes in the rocket panel (covered with plastic rocket guards. the rest of the body has some rust but its manageable.

the whole idea is to rustproof the whole underneath, some body work, along the way while taking it apart finding some ****ups, that no way one will able to find why (like for example i find out that the check engine light it on- the emissions control thing- apparently one of the steel hoses rotten down, right on top of the gas tank. easy fix - just to replace it with rubber hose). at the same time i relapse whole front suspension- wheel bearings, tie rods, 1 axle, ball joints, upper control arms.... in the back links, bushings.. anyways, i taking pictures for fun. also its easy to work on wires- since i disassemble the whole cabin, now i have full access to tail gate, because wiper cease to work, defroster, the lock....
anyways, its quite project that has to be done soon.
so my question #1. i really like those tail lights like the cadillac has- the full column- from top to bottom, but for H3. maybe someone saw something? would be nice touch for mine H3.
also i live in Montreal area and to find the parts its a pain, or the junk yards who has the donors, just giving ****ed up ridiculous prices. would be good if someone knows, somebody reasonable....
anyways, here some pictures of what im doing, more will come soon.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:42 PM

Old 08-25-2020, 05:46 PM

also the 1st idea wast to light sanblast the underneath, but after change it, because too afraid to damage the cables and hoses. so will just spray it with rust converter from WURTH, than put asphalt paint and spray with grease. since lots of things are exposed with no plastic guards.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:49 PM

having a lift you could just detach the chassis from the cab and do all the work you need to do with it separated.

Old 08-25-2020, 10:44 PM

i have the bridge crane too ))) but nah! too much work. if the car would value 100000$ i would consider it, but for vehicle i payed 5k.....

Old 09-20-2020, 05:12 PM

Old 09-20-2020, 05:13 PM

finally find someone who will paint it... its arent cheap... we will see....

Old 09-20-2020, 05:15 PM

i been wondering if someone know the way how to remove the chrome from alu mags? my chrome its all ****ed up, but also to thick to sandblast it. i want to remove and powdercoat the wheels. maybe some one know if there is alternative way to get rid of it?

Old 09-21-2020, 12:45 AM

I got mine sandblasted, it was very hard to do and turned out with some pitting(had corrosion), hassle. Powder coated black, looks acceptable from distance.

You don't have sunroof and no onstar antenna, lucky you!

Old 09-21-2020, 01:07 AM

Dude, i do have sunroof and onstar antenna....

Anyway, to sandblast those mags its bad idea, chrome too hard, the allu to soft...

Quick Reply: desmanteling my H3