Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Creaking and rattling

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 06:24 AM
Default RE: Creaking and rattling

Well, it looks like i'm not the only one then.
I'm gonna take your info guys and take a good look underneath, squirt some grease etc and see if we can't sort it.
my wife disagrees but to me it almost sounds like plastic rattling
thanks a lot guys

Old 01-12-2009, 11:27 PM

I also did the whole leaf spring lube and it helped allot.
But I went a step further and loosened all the body mounts 1 at a time and as I twisted / rotated the bushings I sprayed silicone lube between the bushings and the car body/frame. Also don’t remove the bolts just get them loose or you might wind up with lube all over the threads of the bolts and I don’t think that would be good, if you know what I mean. I did this after having my H3 in to the dealer about 3 times. They did fix some stuff but this along with the other posts solved just about everything and I have not re-lubed anything for about a year.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:36 PM

Did the body mount lube last night. Took all of about 10 minutes to loosen them and spray some silicone lube on. I couldn't be happier!!! I tried the leaf springs and other things without any luck. Absolutely changed the whole driving experience, lol. H3 is nice and quiet now. I don't think I realized how bad it was creaking! I highly recommend all H3 owners to do this. I only did the 3 pair from under the front door back. Only need a 18mm socket and extension, and a can of silicone spray.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:52 PM

Glade to hear it worked out for you and like I said I did it almost a year ago and she still rides nice and quiet, but I did everything at the same time so was never 100% sure it was the body mounts, but figured it was.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:30 PM

Well, I not been so lucky.
Done the leafsprings and body mounts but still got the rattles.
To me it kinda sounds like you have a small rock in a plastic cup or something.
Any clues??

Old 01-16-2009, 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: ukpaul

Well, I not been so lucky.
Done the leafsprings and body mounts but still got the rattles.
To me it kinda sounds like you have a small rock in a plastic cup or something.
Any clues??
The suspension gives squeaks and moans, not rattles. Have you checked your jack? It can rattle.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:44 PM

yes, checked that.....This is from underneath for sure..
While I was under there I did wonder if it was the emergency brake cable. When I wiggled it, it sounded similar to the noise. I drove down the road breifly with the e brake just on and it did seem quiter but there were still a couple of the same noises which sounded like they were from underneath at the rear. [:@] [:@]

Old 01-16-2009, 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: ukpaul

yes, checked that.....This is from underneath for sure..
While I was under there I did wonder if it was the emergency brake cable. When I wiggled it, it sounded similar to the noise. I drove down the road breifly with the e brake just on and it did seem quiter but there were still a couple of the same noises which sounded like they were from underneath at the rear. [:@] [:@]
Have you checked the muffler and exhaust? I added a B&B exhaust and it rattled. It was a PITA for a while.

bob

Old 01-16-2009, 03:53 PM

Thanks for quick replies D VADER.
Yes, tried rocking it but it just felt solid.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:49 PM

My 2008 H3 creaked really bad after I had it for a week. Every time I turned a corner or went over uneven pavement. It sounded like a creak/grinding in the rear of the vehicle that I could hear and could also feel under my feet in the floor. The dealership replaced the driver's side rear leaf spring and rear shackle. The noise stopped for about a month then came back. Then they replaced the passenger side rear spring and the noise stayed away permanently.

After that, I would occassionally feel a popping feeling under the 'dead pedal' area when I would corner. I fixed that myself by cutting a piece of 'rubber waffle' (the kind of stuff you get at an office supply store to keep stuff from sliding in your desk drawer) in the shape of the body mount contact surface (where it contacts the x-sill just above the frame). I made the circular piece that I cut about 3/4" bigger in dia than the contact patch. I put that inbetween the body mount and the body (the lower cushion not the upper cushion) and torqued the body mount bolt to 80-81 ft-lbs.......no pop in 5 months. My vehicle is very quiet now.

Silicon sprays didn't help the springs......but the replacement did.

Quick Reply: Creaking and rattling