Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Cranks, starts, dies, then won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 02:27 PM
Default Cranks, starts, dies, then won't crank

Long Time Listener, First Time Caller:

I have a 2006 H3 with 40K miles on it. Obviously it doesn't get driven that much, just sits in a climate controlled garage and driven about once a month. Anyway, the battery was replaced due to it no longer holding a charge for more than a week. Prior to changing the battery, I was stopped and had the engine shut off for about 5 minutes. I went to head back home and it wouldn't start. I would turn the key and it would act like a dead battery. I checked the battery connection, got back in, and it started up and I went on my way. I noticed that it would do that more frequently over the last year. I would start it, it would die, then it would not crank over. I would have to shut it off, wait for about a minute, then try again. It would always start then and then stay running.
Fast forward to today. I purchased a new battery, installed it, and it done the same thing. Only this time I would start it, it would die, then not crank until I let it power dower down for a minute, Start, die, and not crank. this went on and on. I have not had a chance to hook the scanner up to it yet but will do so this evening. Anyone else have this happen to them? If so, what did you do to fix it?
Thanks for your time,
Mike

Old 09-22-2020, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Change out the crappy azzed OEM Battery Terminal Connectors for a quality aftermarket set like Stingers or your favorite brand. The FIRST mod to be done to every H3/H3T upon purchase. I have said this 100s of times. search it out here.

The OEM Battery Terminal Connectors are garbage and fail. People usually notice it when they change out the first Battery because they over-tightened the nut that is supposed to be able cam the connection tight. If not then, as soon as somebody connects and re-connects the battery for whatever reason, they get failure. Intermittent connections at the battery cause all kinds of electrical Gremlins including yours.

Old 09-22-2020, 06:57 PM

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the OEM connectors.

Old 09-23-2020, 11:07 AM

Changed the battery connection, still did the same thing. I did hook my hand held to it and got code P0601. If I reset the code, it does keep reoccurring. I did see "SERVICE STAB" on the Hummer display.

Old 09-23-2020, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

The DIC message has nothing to do with start/no start. How about a pic of your new Battery Terminal Connectors?

What is the resting voltage of your new battery?

Old 11-10-2020, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
The DIC message has nothing to do with start/no start. How about a pic of your new Battery Terminal Connectors?

What is the resting voltage of your new battery?
Ended up taking it to the Dealership, turns out the ECM was bad.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by raceit17
Ended up taking it to the Dealership, turns out the ECM was bad.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:23 PM

It had open recalls that needed taken care of, it wouldn't run, and my wife is happy. My time dicking with it is worth more than I had to pay to repair it.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by raceit17
It had open recalls that needed taken care of, it wouldn't run, and my wife is happy. My time dicking with it is worth more than I had to pay to repair it.
Open recalls has nothing to do with replacing the ECM! I have open recalls and still have ALL the ORIGINAL MODULES. No problems here.
Tech's these days, have no patience to follow a diagnostic flow chart, they always tend to jump to the end, when that don't work, they have to back up and find/fix the source of the issue.
Yours is fixed yet I'm 99.9% sure, it was NOT the module that fixed it!

Old 11-10-2020, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Open recalls has nothing to do with replacing the ECM! I have open recalls and still have ALL the ORIGINAL MODULES. No problems here.
Tech's these days, have no patience to follow a diagnostic flow chart, they always tend to jump to the end, when that don't work, they have to back up and find/fix the source of the issue.
Yours is fixed yet I'm 99.9% sure, it was NOT the module that fixed it!

I never said the open recalls had anything to do with them, just simply stating that it needed to go to the dealership anyway, so why not let them diagnose the problem I was having and kill 2 birds with one stone?
But since you were not at my house working on it or at the dealership working on it, I'd say I'm 99.9% sure your 99.9% is about as accurate as Dr. Fouci. Maybe you should take up becoming a meteorologist with those percentages and guestimations ???

Quick Reply: Cranks, starts, dies, then won't crank