Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Could be joining the H3 club

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 05:35 PM

Our H3 Adventure w/ a 3.7 pulls our 1400lbs atv's plus trailer and 3500lbs boat just fine. Hardly even know they are there.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:19 PM

I've towed a 3000 lbs boat and, like others, barely knew it was there. Pulled out of steep boat ramps without issue as well.

+ The H3 is one of the coolest rides there is. When we go on vacations that we fly instead if drive I miss driving the 3 after about 2 or 3 days. Its ridiculous. Good luck wiht your choice. 14k sounds like a smoking deal for an 07

Old 08-26-2011, 09:30 PM

I have been so happy with my H3!! It is comfortable on long drives and has a lot of power (Alpha). We considered the Jeep line as when we were buying Hummer line was going down. I always regretted not buying the one we drove. About a year later we found the exact same model and drove to AZ from CA to get it. Best decision we ever made.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:24 PM
WBZ

I have no experience with the liberty but I do have a 1997 cherokee which is sort of like the liberty only better in my opinion I love by old cherokee but my H3 is far better at towing from my experience. I recently hauled several very large parts of a huge backyard playset on a 20 ft trailer. It was top heavy and I got caught in a bad rainstorm. I could hardly tell the trailer was back there.
Average MPG is about 14-16 and I have gotten 19 on the hwy. On one recent tankful I got 12.5. This was lots of stop and go and a bunch of ideling so this a worst case situation. I like to think I am an efficient driver. I do routinely drive 10-12 over the PSL on the hwy but am more careful in town. I also avoid jack rabbit starts and panic stops.
Buy the H3

Old 08-29-2011, 10:25 AM

In your (OP) case from what you mentioned I probably wouldn't go with either one. You mentioned towing, mpg, and features. Since a Libby and an H3 are the two mentioned options, let me throw out a V8 Grand Cherokee and an idea. The GC is rated to tow more than an H3 Alpha (6,500/7,200 vs 6,000) which may not matter if you are not towing close to that. The '07 H3 is rated for 4,500lbs. The GC is also going to be nicer to drive with more features (depending on options anyway), and mpg is about the same as an H3.

Now, if you throw in actual wheeling with basically stock vehicles, it's the H3/H3 alpha hands down.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:05 PM

I took a 06 H3 for a test drive last night and i'm hooked. I really love the ride and looks of it. To me the 5cyl isn't under powered at all. I'm coming from a subaru outback so maybe thats why. Now my concern is the milleage it has on it.
I'm looking at a 06 white h3, sunroof, tow package, aftermarket sound system, aftermarket rims, it has 87k miles on it. Is that alot of miles for these trucks? I know enough to check the car fax and service records and give the truck a good look over.
the dealer lowered it down to $15,400.
what you guys think

Old 09-15-2011, 08:38 AM

I have an 06 with over 85k on it and it runs like a champ. I pull 1500lbs of motorcycles and gear plus the trailer with four adults and luggage inside the vehicle and it works great until you get up in the mountains.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by mattp_160
I took a 06 H3 for a test drive last night and i'm hooked. I really love the ride and looks of it. To me the 5cyl isn't under powered at all. I'm coming from a subaru outback so maybe thats why. Now my concern is the milleage it has on it.
I'm looking at a 06 white h3, sunroof, tow package, aftermarket sound system, aftermarket rims, it has 87k miles on it. Is that alot of miles for these trucks? I know enough to check the car fax and service records and give the truck a good look over.
the dealer lowered it down to $15,400.
what you guys think
Not to beat a dead horse, but if you have the option try to get an '07+. Slightly bigger engine with a bit more power (not a big deal). I've read here that there were some mechanical problems that were worked out in '07+ (possible head issues???). All '06s are out of factory warranty, but starting in '07 they have 4 year/50k basic and 5 year/100k drivetrain warranty. Depending on original sales date and mileage an '07 may have up to a year or so drivetrain warranty left. Of course the newer the H3 the more warranty left.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bflank
I really like my H3 but I think you are just fooling yourself if you think any add-ons are going to have much effect on your MPG. It pretty much is what it is and you either accept that as a trade off for all the good that is H3 or you don't.
IMHO you should try some add-ons so you can see for yourself. My 07 is about 5900# with me in it, 305 tires, BA Bumper, RRs, UCP, RocDoc Diff Cover and Skidz, and I easily average [I mean from turn of the key, port to port in city driving] 18+ MPG per scan gauge. If you fuel up and jump on the Eway from a turnpike style gas stop, I can average 19.7 at 75MPH. How many stockers with even the skinny 265 tires are doing that? These same mods make towing easier as well.

Example: 800-1000# over max (not even considering the extra 1000# of off road mods increasing the truck GVW) towed 425 miles one way from WI to NE of Detroit with a fuel stop. I don't recommend it, but she got r done.
Name:  DSC02825.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  123.0 KB

It is a matter of how many add-ons and which ones. An intake, CAT back exhaust, PCM tune, and an Efan are a good start, and I have more up my sleave.

Originally Posted by skeptic
Not to beat a dead horse, but if you have the option try to get an '07+. Slightly bigger engine with a bit more power (not a big deal). I've read here that there were some mechanical problems that were worked out in '07+ (possible head issues???). All '06s are out of factory warranty, but starting in '07 they have 4 year/50k basic and 5 year/100k drivetrain warranty. Depending on original sales date and mileage an '07 may have up to a year or so drivetrain warranty left. Of course the newer the H3 the more warranty left.
That is an excellent point.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Question

Doc, where was that photo taken? I know I've seen that gas station with the restaurant next door. I'm going crazy trying to figure it out.

Quick Reply: Could be joining the H3 club