Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Contemplating...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Default Contemplating...

Upgrading the '06 H3 Lux for a H2 SUT. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this vehicle. We just came back from a holiday trip in Quebec City and the H3 just works wonderfully in the snow and slick stuff. I'm concerned about towing.I originally bought the truck for leisure and towing of my race car. The towing package plus occupants and gear will put it right at the 4500# limit.

That said, I've had my eye on an '06 H2 SUT, and I love the look, the gas mileage is worse and cargo area is smaller, but it has a bigger engine and towing capacity.

I guess what I'm looking for is input either for or against.

TIA!

Old 01-01-2012, 01:58 PM

I was fortunate enough to get 07 49k in oct. it is an h3 i5 and love the space an covience. Already thinking h1.

Chris

Old 01-01-2012, 05:38 PM

Much want! Love the color and the price is right. Only 955 miles away from me...

Old 01-03-2012, 09:36 AM

Thats a Special Edition deuce, very nice. I just hate when people have taken off the wheels they came with. Looks like the lite bar is gone, too, hard to tell from this pic.
This one will have the softer black leather and nav, in addition to chrome sill steps and probably twin dvd players in back. Very, very nice deuce. If it's clean, I'd highly recommend picking it up. I almost bought the wagon version but settled on my white one and loving it.
I was in your same situation, I had an 06 H3 and had it modded with GOBI rack, winch bumper, 35's and it was way too heavy for that sucky motor. I also wanted to tow, and had rented a couple of travel trailers, which was fun, but a miserable drive to the camp ground. I decided to trade for my 07 H2 and never looked back. Some people like the H3 for it's smaller size, but I've wheeled my 2 in the same spots as the 3, you just get a little more tree branches rubbing. But you also get MASSIVELY improved capability and more confidence when wheeling than the 3 could give you, and the ride is so much smoother, on and off road.
As for towing, we have a 6400 pound travel trailer and while the it gave the 2 fits in the mountains, I was still able to get out camping comfortably. Now we live in Florida and the flat lands are much easier to tow with.
I say move up to the 2, you'll be wondering why you lived with that 06 for as long as you have.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:46 AM

Ok, I just found that one on Auto Trader---stay away from it!! It's got 116,000 miles on it, and the spare wheel doesn't even match the other wheels, none are factory. The black seats really look used, even in the back seat, which normally doesn't get used. No nav, no dvd's in the seat backs, just an aftermarket unit in the roof. The lite bar is missing. The chrome hood latches have been swapped to black. There's some odd stuff swapped around for what it came with. Keep looking, you'll find a lot more H2 for the money. I'm thinking the price has got you excited on this one, but there's a reason. This thing is wayyyy used--and I'd have to wonder what kind of maintenance it's gotten, if much.
If you're serious about trading, I can help keep an eye out for a deuce you'll be much happier with. I've gone and looked at several deuces for other forum members to help them get the best for the money.
Good luck!

Cars for Sale: 2006 HUMMER H2 SUT in Buford, GA 30518: Truck Details - 312459596 - AutoTrader.com

Last edited by twinmill28; 01-03-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by twinmill28
Some people like the H3 for it's smaller size, but I've wheeled my 2 in the same spots as the 3, you just get a little more tree branches rubbing. But you also get MASSIVELY improved capability and more confidence when wheeling than the 3 could give you
That's a pretty bold statement. If anything, I'd give the 3 an edge in purely stock vs. stock offroad capability. Smaller size can matter on tight trails, and as I understand it a front locker was not an option on H2s (someone will correct me if I'm wrong), but is on the later 3s. I'd also give the edge to an H3 over my T simply due to break over angle. Last trip I was on with other H2/3s I was the only T and scraped my way over a rock (on my slider) that everyone else cleared without rubbing. The fact that my front end was almost 4" lower than were it is now after a T-bar crank didn't help.

Once you start modding, all bets are off and anything can beat anything else.

Not dissing the H2 in any way, just disagreeing that an H2 is MASSIVELY better offroad than an H3. Towing, ride, power, nicer interior, etc. I agree with all that. On the other hand, I'd also suggest Rooster test drive an H3 Alpha and possibly an H3t Alpha. That's gets the v8 power and increased towing (~6,000 lbs) he is looking for.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm not too worried about the seats and the wheels. The seats don't look too worn (after all, their suppose to be softer) and the wheel package I can dump on a Yukon kid. Being from New Hampshire I'm looking for solid body and a tight motor. As said, I'm looking to tow, I used to offload and really don't plan on doing it with an H2 or H3. Also, this will not be a daily driver, I have a company vehicle for that. I'm thinking of just calling them and see. If I'm interested, it'll be a 4hr plane ride and a 1.5 day drive.

That being said, I'm wondering if I can persuade them to go lower.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:15 PM

Here's another one alot more local. I've called the guy and he said their may be a buyer but he'd get in touch with me if it falls thru.

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/2759438308.html

Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by skeptic
That's a pretty bold statement. If anything, I'd give the 3 an edge in purely stock vs. stock offroad capability. Smaller size can matter on tight trails, and as I understand it a front locker was not an option on H2s (someone will correct me if I'm wrong), but is on the later 3s. I'd also give the edge to an H3 over my T simply due to break over angle. Last trip I was on with other H2/3s I was the only T and scraped my way over a rock (on my slider) that everyone else cleared without rubbing. The fact that my front end was almost 4" lower than were it is now after a T-bar crank didn't help.

Not dissing the H2 in any way, just disagreeing that an H2 is MASSIVELY better offroad than an H3. Towing, ride, power, nicer interior, etc. I agree with all that. On the other hand, I'd also suggest Rooster test drive an H3 Alpha and possibly an H3t Alpha. That's gets the v8 power and increased towing (~6,000 lbs) he is looking for.
Hey thanks for chiming in Jack. It's always better to have differing views so you can get a fair opinion.
The only reason I stated I felt the 2 was MASSIVELY better off road in that statement was the first time I ran the 2 on the same skinny hilltop as the 3 (this was a hill that scared the hell outta me in the 3 for how technical it was once crested and you had to turn while putting your driver tire up on the hill and the passenger tire fell into a washout, making it seem extremely precarious to falling over and down the hill) the 2 somehow managed to do it without any of the drama or butt puckering I'd experienced in the 3. I was sold, without a doubt. Granted, there's alot more to wheeling than one experience, but everything I'd run in the 3 I also ran in the 2, and there was so much less, well, drama. Even all the dirt trails I ran were so much smoother, it just made wheeling so much more.....pleasant.
Ok, here's where Skeptic beats on me because his T made the climb I couldn't make in the 2. I say "I" couldn't make the climb. Pretty sure somebody who knew what the hell they were doing could have made it!!
But Skeptic just crawled his way up, no drama. I'm convinced alot of your wheeling experience in any 4-wheel drive is based on your actual skill and patience. I just happen to lack alot of both!
Regardless--good luck in your search for your perfect deuce, once you find THE one, you'll be happy. BTW--gas mileage really wasn't too far off between my modded 3 and the new deuce, but smiles per mile went thru the roof!

Old 01-04-2012, 07:59 PM

First, I was not going to bring up the hill climb - one anecdote has little bearing. Too many what-ifs, and I used up all my digs. If you were still around we could have an ongoing challenge, but alas..

Second, I'm certain that wheeling the 2 is MUCH nicer and smoother than a 3. Plus there will definitely be places where the 2 is better than the 3. Places where the extra width or wheelbase make for less tippy experience.

Really, my point isn't to say X is better than Y, it's to say 2s, 3s, and 3Ts are all very capable offroad. I wouldn't say any of them are massively better than any other. I will say lockers CAN make a huge difference. Kinda moot now that the OP says he doesn't offroad anymore.

Rooster - since you did ask for input for or against, you really should test drive an H3 alpha and an H2 as close to back to back as you can. The H2 SUT may be harder to find, but test driving an H2 should give you a pretty good idea of what you may end up with. I say test drive an H3 Alpha because you started your thread by saying you absolutely love your '06 H3 but the problem is the towing capacity. The H3 Alpha keeps you in essentially the same vehicle, a bit newer (and window controls you can actually reach), and gives you the power and towing you are looking for.

Quick Reply: Contemplating...