Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Changed vapor canister purge valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2020 | 07:09 PM
|
Default Changed vapor canister purge valve

So I had my check engine light come on and of course p0449. So I decided to change the purge valve and am going to change the canister solenoid. I read somewhere that someone changed it by removing the battery..... he must have had small hands because I eventually had to remove the driver side wheel and wheel well cover. I also read somewhere that changing this will help with better mpg not sure if it true but I love fixing these little things that are possible. Also if you attempt this you are most likely going to break the white clip. I had to buy a pack at auto parts store for $5

Decided to crack it open and have a look

Old 01-29-2020 | 08:35 PM

My purge valve is still OEM, and I don't have any codes! Although, a few years back I did get the P0449 and I swapped the vent valve, cheap easy fix, and never a code since.

Old 01-29-2020 | 10:39 PM

I fixed P0449 by replacing the vent valve in the back, and P0496 by replacing the purge valve. I managed to not break the white clip, but I did have a terrible time figuring out how to get one of them off.

Not sure why that valve would affect mileage (not saying it won't) but it is supposed to help with a hard-start condition when you fill up with gas, although I wasn't really having that, at least not as bad as some have reported. I did think I noticed it taking longer to crank, but may have been my imagination. I'll see how the next fill-up goes I guess.

Old 01-29-2020 | 10:54 PM
|

Originally Posted by bureau13
I fixed P0449 by replacing the vent valve in the back, and P0496 by replacing the purge valve. I managed to not break the white clip, but I did have a terrible time figuring out how to get one of them off.

Not sure why that valve would affect mileage (not saying it won't) but it is supposed to help with a hard-start condition when you fill up with gas, although I wasn't really having that, at least not as bad as some have reported. I did think I noticed it taking longer to crank, but may have been my imagination. I'll see how the next fill-up goes I guess.
so from what I was ready is that either the purge valve or the solenoid. Stays open taking gas vapor which could go to your engine instead goes to the emission. So I am replacing both just have to get the other one. I don’t think I am anymore but I was getting like 8mpg so I replaced thermostat, o2 sensors, cleaned TB & MAF, spark plugs, and now this purge valve.