Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Battery terminals broke. Need a DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Default Battery terminals broke. Need a DIY

I've been having problems with my truck starting lately. I recently replaced my battery and realized the old battery terminals were cracked. I replaced them but its kind of jacked. Has anyone done a DIY and which parts do you recommend?

Old 10-18-2012, 10:25 PM

I recommend tough crimped ends that make a strong physical connection that will also make a good electrical connection using all of the gauge wire you select. Not connectors that attempt to crush with an ill fitting clamp or stereo type aux connectors with a tiny screw that holds the cable inserted into them.

See if this gives you any ideas.
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...62/#post286510

Old 10-19-2012, 10:01 AM

I replace my terminals every time I replace a battery. I just use the two bolt sandwich type (not sure what it's really called, see pic below) or post and wing nut if that's what's already on. I've only had one time where the existing cabling was corroded enough that I cut off all the ends to get to the "good" wire, an older Grand Cherokee that had suffered much neglect before I bought it. For this I used the sandwich style. I've never had any issues nor felt the need for a fancy/expensive solution.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Hunner is old school.

He may have a point, but when was the last audio show and competition he was at.

All the kiddies with multiple battery and bus bar set ups through big draw power amps us the the screw on kind. They may not be perfect, but hell of a lot better than the POS OEM terminals.

I use Stingers. With a marine battery shut off switch for the winch.
Name:  DSC02242.jpg
Views: 3045
Size:  156.6 KB

Too simple. Cut off the old crap, strip the insulation back 3/8"-1/2" and insert into terminal, tighten retaining allen bolt, place over battery post and tighten.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Default Hunner is dead on

But its hard to do it that way.
I took the advice from an old post last yr,? and use the clamp type but toss the clamp,cut off the old sheet metal but keep the factory crimp,and the bolt thats on there for accs. Stick the bolt thru one hole where the clamp bolts go and crank on a nut. good and solid without those "stereo screws"Hunner mentioned!
I just fixed a jeep cherokee backup truck that had the "chopped cables slipping out of the clamps.
I dunked the copper into some old solder flux/paste,stuck them into heavy ring terminals,squeesed them and melted solder into them till it ran thru,bolted the ring to one of the clamp holes after tossing the clamp,SOLID,no tiny screws to corrod and stick or rot away.

Hey,the old 97 lifted jeep jumps!,and steers like dialing an old phone.

Its a good spare,fun project.

Repeat, I trust only factory/hunner crimps, or the better,solder connections,my 2 cent.

Last edited by happythree; 10-19-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:59 PM

I am old too. Those Stingers look better than the ones with multiple connections and the tiny pointed screws I was referring to, except for the plastic. Those generic "emergency" terminals are usually not tapered to fit the post and are one size fits all. Some when you tighten them cut into the lead on the clamp and then are difficult to remove when needed.
But then how many of those yuppies at car shows are going out and doing this with a bunch of wires poked in a hole?
Name:  9323nos.jpg
Views: 1694
Size:  129.6 KB
I have missed some stereo car shows because I'm usually working on something like this and it does not have a stereo, for now.
I stuck an AGM in there and thru bolted it to qualify for a "non spillable" battery and mosdef did a Hunner wiring job on it and a lot of carbon fiber parts.
Name:  DAH_1483.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  140.4 KB
Name:  DAH_1629sh5xb.jpg
Views: 1747
Size:  91.9 KB

Old 10-20-2012, 08:37 AM

many good posts